Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kingston story: Bidders fail to pay up for auctioned cows

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Ask Pat Smith. You need to be able to back up allegations that damage a person's reputation with hard facts.

Right, whats not true then. Who's telling porkies then.
    Will recent events affect genuine farmers access to credit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Kingston's leased a farm from Richard Wood, who owned amongst other companies,. John A Wood's which was one of the biggest gravel and cement firms in Cork. He was rescued/ sold some or all of the firm to Roadstone who continue to run it.

Richard Woods family had a large herd of pedigree cows near Cork city, well known on the show circuits. George Kingston was his farm Manager before he bought his own farm. Richard Woods got out of cows partly because the cows had to cross the main Cork Killarney road quite near the city and partly because when the ESB flooded Cork in 2009? the farmyard was flooded to a considerable depth and they were lucky to save the cows.

As far as I know Kingstons and Richard Woods are still friends.
    I was on a farm walk on woods farm in 1983, they had a rotary parlour a rare sight back then. Some setup, plenty lime for the cubicles after milking:)

Water John wrote: »
    Came across a situation recently of a farm just above subsistence. they were offered a solar farm project on the land, genuine developer, best site in the area. 25K tax free per year and they turned it down.
    'There's nowt as queer as folk.'

But it isn't as simple as that, there are a lot of terms and conditions that must be checked out and a lot of the time there is a snag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Suckler

Ask Pat Smith. You need to be able to back up allegations that damage a person's reputation with hard facts.

Pat Smith isn't the one that said it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,817 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Lads I think there is no need to look into personnel details of those involved. We need only look at the business aspect, the money involved, the way it was borrowed/lend. I think it was only on a few posts we have strayed from that so we should try to keep on track and look at it as a business only.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Suckler wrote: »
    Pat Smith isn't the one that said it though.

You are correct to be fair I haven't heard anywhere that would suggest that Pat Smith could be sued for defamation. Now if someone were to suggest for example that Pat would do something like deliberately disrupt an auction or grab a farm. I think maybe he would be within his rights to seek the protection of the courts in clearing his good name. Not suggesting for one minute that Pat would do anything untoward of course. Just being hypothetical.

Now if someone were to suggest for example that Pat would do something like deliberately disrupt an auction or grab a farm. I think maybe he would be within his rights to seek the protection of the courts in clearing his good name.

Grab a farm? I'd like to see that one before the courts alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

At one tenth of the scale and terms of stock numbers most of us would be used to talking of..
    Would anyone be able to keep 100 cows on 17 acres and make money even let you own the sheds land parlour and machinery debt free??? Fookin nuts.

What are we going to do today Brain?
    Today Pinky WE ARE GOING TO TRY AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

rangler1 wrote: »
    It seems my post said exactly the same as was reported in the paper so don't know what your issue is.
    But i do know if every farmer carried on the same as kingstons, it can be only to the detriment of genuine farmers that want to borrow money.
    Hard to have any sympathy here, its wasn't as if their loans hit 20% like mine did and i still had to pay the most of it off

"most" of it what makes you different

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Lads I think there is no need to look into personnel details of those involved. We need only look at the business aspect, the money involved, the way it was borrowed/lend. I think it was only on a few posts we have strayed from that so we should try to keep on track and look at it as a business only.

Mod:

Given that your moderators are not legal experts and that we have to try to protect both Boards and yourselves from law suits, possibly by prophylactically closing down this thread, I think trying to stay as general as possible in this discussion, rather than discussing the specific family would be wise.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

greysides wrote: »

Mod:

Given that your moderators are not legal experts and that we have to try to protect both Boards and yourselves from law suits, possibly by prophylactically closing down this thread, I think trying to stay as general as possible in this discussion, rather than discussing the specific family would be wise.

Not before time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Is it an exact calculation (no. of years owned only) or does take into account the exact amount of blood, sweat and tears involved in acquiring it,plus the emotional state of the farmer involved ,minus the f*ck up he made,divided by the amount of land grabbing bas*ards interested in it ,multiplied by the amount of concerned internet posters who seem to live in loo laa land ?
    O,h and if the land joins you,you have the money (no loans seemingly needed) and no land ever comes up locally should you increase the calculated figure by Pi times the square root of what the neighbours might think?
    Tough decision and to be honest if the situation ever arises should I go to my local parish priest to seek moral and spiritual guidance?

They only need to be not bought up for a few years to send the message to the bank's that there is no windfall in repossessing farms. This will make them more likely to try to reach a fair settlement with farmers who have the potential for turnaround

melissak wrote: »
    They only need to be not bought up for a few years to send the message to the bank's that there is no windfall in repossessing farms. This will make them more likely to try to reach a fair settlement with farmers who have the potential for turnaround

You seem to be missing the point and the reality of the situation. the banks do not see it as a windfall, it's their last resort after all other negotiations and avenues have failed.

As for the "This will make them" - no it won't. All it will do is make it more difficult for others to borrow.

Lads if some of you are not careful the Kingstons may well have a way of getting out of financial difficulty Just about the same time as you will be getting in to it.

Who? How? Me. I don't know any details of the case. Is general conversation illegal.?

Who? How? Me. I don't know any details of the case. Is general conversation illegal.?

No but damaging someone's name without proof to back it up could cause a bit of a problem.

Suckler wrote: »
    You seem to be missing the point and the reality of the situation. the banks do not see it as a windfall, it's their last resort after all other negotiations and avenues have failed.

As for the "This will make them" - no it won't. All it will do is make it more difficult for others to borrow.

Maybe so. I am going to take a step back on this as it seems there is more to it than I originally thought. I think I was temporarily possessed by my granddad. Seeing the old man on the TV made me think of him. Of he had to watch his farm repossessed due to a mistake I had made it would have killed him, and I think a lot of farmers are facing this prospect based on believing false promises of the cultic tiger.. I was a bit outraged by what I perceived as smug and unsympathetic comments and I lost the run of myself slightly. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I remember a farm back in the 70's that they had over borrowed, the bank made a deal on repayments and the same family still have the farm today. As for media intervention back then, it was more discreet. Landmark did a section on it mentioned no names only showing the farm entrance. Of course everyone in the parish knew the story thanks to gossip. Imagine the media doing that today.

No but damaging someone's name without proof to back it up could cause a bit of a problem.

Did I? If so I didn't do it intentionally and would ask mods to remove any such comment

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

If any one has problems with posts on this thread then please use the Report Post facility (report.gif) and the mods will arbitrate to the best of their abilities. Bear in mind it can take time to do as, curiously, we have lives outside of here.

So far, I have not seen anything I consider, on-balance, as being outside-the-pale given there are two strong and opposing views on the situation getting equal exposure.

Comments on-thread about moderation issues will be considered as 'Backseat Moderation' and will not be tolerated.

If you need to, PM!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Did I? If so I didn't do it intentionally and would ask mods to remove any such comment

I don't think you did. Dont worry I don't think they are coming to get you.

• Advertisement

I don't think you did. Dont worry I don't think they are coming to get you.

Thanks. I just got a terrible fear there that my big mouth was going to get me in trouble. No more boards for me for the day I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Well you're defending the Kingstons here melissak I'm sure they'll thank you for that

"most" of it what makes you different

Different times, with bad debts doubling every 3 - 4 years the banks had to do something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Ya base price but there's a sad story to every sold farm of land be it death, repossessions, drank away, divorce. Also in what time frame should this moral code be implemented 10 years, 100 years? If I knew the person I wouldn't but after that...
    Base price wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned ye live by your morals till the grave - simple.
    But whose morals, BP?

Yours or theirs?

You can't project your own beliefs onto someone else and accuse them of being immoral for carrying out an action you don't approve of.

For all you know, you might be breaking their moral code and they may be just as disapproving of something you would consider normal.

Base price wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned ye live by your morals till the grave - simple.

I have my principles too and if they don't suit, i've another set at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Kingston's leased a farm from Richard Wood, who owned amongst other companies,. John A Wood's which was one of the biggest gravel and cement firms in Cork. He was rescued/ sold some or all of the firm to Roadstone who continue to run it.

Richard Woods family had a large herd of pedigree cows near Cork city, well known on the show circuits. George Kingston was his farm Manager before he bought his own farm. Richard Woods got out of cows partly because the cows had to cross the main Cork Killarney road quite near the city and partly because when the ESB flooded Cork in 2009? the farmyard was flooded to a considerable depth and they were lucky to save the cows.

As far as I know Kingstons and Richard Woods are still friends.

From my own personal knowledge of that situation all was very amicable in relation to that lease at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

From my own personal knowledge of that situation all was very amicable in relation to that lease at the time.
    Well thats cleared up now

rangler1 wrote: »
    Different times, with bad debts doubling every 3 - 4 years the banks had to do something

Have times been any worse for many people in the last 10 years ,isn't that what the thread is all about

Have times been any worse for many people in the last 10 years ,isn't that what the thread is all about

No but land prices are rising. I think we're due another Bubble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Its good that land prices are steady/rising its a valuable asset

Advertisement