Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kingston story: Bidders fail to pay up for auctioned cows

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

rangler1 wrote: »
    For sale at the moment for€10000/acre, no one interested, there'd be more clay on an acre of real land

2-3" topsoil max here. You could have 6"+ ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Muckit wrote: »
    2-3" topsoil max here. You could have 6"+ ;)

We'd have 12''plus, that much further for the sucklers feet to go down in the usual irish weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,817 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You would've paid well in 2004 , we were trying to get a land value of 30000/acre from National Roads Authority for our compo that year
    lucky the NRA didn't get hold of that example. Land beside me made 34000/ac that time, Auctioneer came to me after the auction and offered 40000/acre from the underbidder.......still banging my head for refusing that.
    That 34000/ac farm sold for 7000/ac two years ago

You win some Rangler and you lose some. Because you are innately conservative regarding money, borrowing etc a bit like myself it is unlikely that what this thread is on about will happen to you

Slava Ukrainii

You win some Rangler and you lose some. Because you are innately conservative regarding money, borrowing etc a bit like myself it is unlikely that what this thread is on about will happen to you

I've been that soldier, borrowed too much in the 80s, made worse by 5 years nursing home bills.......kinda makes you cautious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

No, there is a disturance figure, injurious affection, plus a five thousand/acre bonus for ''goodwill'' added on, i got way more than that per acre . Don't know if the €5000/ac goodwill is available now.
    To get €40000 an acre considered in the valuation negotiations, the sale would have to go through and be signed up, 10 acres beside me made 50000/acre shortly after all the deals were done. For sale at the moment for€10000/acre, no one interested, there'd be more clay on an acre of real land

So please explain to me how Ifa helped farmers in this situation. If neighbouring land was sold for more money? Or was it just another example of their excellence in trumpet blowing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I'd say there was mixed emotions at the funeral

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    So please explain to me how Ifa helped farmers in this situation. If neighbouring land was sold for more money? Or was it just another example of their excellence in trumpet blowing?

Land value used to be based on value of ploy it was taken out of, bigger plots make less money, now it's based on small plot valuation,
    Even the 50000 /ac goodwill was worth ninety thousand to me,
    Generally yu end up with double land value.
    Every landowner had the option of going by our new deal and the old deal, I can assure you no one went by the old deal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Great look for you considering got a debt right off on land in the past. Just goes to show how fortunes can change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Great look for you considering got a debt right off on land in the past. Just goes to show how fortunes can change.

But forgive me if I have my wires crossed, but these valuations you speak off Rangler are for compulsory purchase targeted lands required for motorways etc?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    But forgive me if I have my wires crossed, but these valuations you speak off Rangler are for compulsory purchase targeted lands required for motorways etc?

Yes, valuations based on the values around the area at the time, we were lucky enough to be at the peak of prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Silage cut there a forthnight ago. Security man still full time on the gate. Rumoured that the four dutch men are still staying at the carlton in Cork as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Silage cut there a forthnight ago. Security man still full time on the gate. Rumoured that the four dutch men are still staying at the carlton in Cork as well.

So no sign of them moving onto other cork farms as they reportedly claimed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Impressive looking farm to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

TITANIUM. wrote: »

Not that I know of. It took them a long time to get the farm ready for sale.:rolleyes:

They didn't go away either, someone must be paying for them to stay around and watch the silage grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

TITANIUM. wrote: »

There was a lot a ****e like that being said I'd say, rumour mill and bar stool stories going 90. Who knows what's happening with any lad these days but as the neighbour said all we can do is try and make sure the same doesn't happen to us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,817 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

fepper wrote: »
    Impressive looking farm to be honest

Impressiver but maybe a little over the top for a dairy unit. Why would you need lockable head barriers with dairy cows. IMO it a waste of money. You will seperate a dairy cow from her comrades very easy. There barriers are 150+vat dearer than standart barriers I think. You then have the factor of maybe having more barriers as well because of reduced head space. I have seen dairy cow units with single bar used on feed face cheaper again.If you used a single bar you are back in cost 300+/bay.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

An absolute disgrace at a time when all farmers and particularly dairy farmers are on the rack of corporate greed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

An absolute disgrace at a time when all farmers and particularly dairy farmers are on the rack of corporate greed

Only greed in this case was the farmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

It would take fair brass balls to buy and move in while the family that it is repossessed from are living on the farmyard.
    I couldn't imagine you would be popular with the neighbours either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

djmc wrote: »
    It would take fair brass balls to buy and move in while the family that it is repossessed from are living on the farmyard.

anyone buying any farm now would want brass balls

the first thing I would do Is block off all the access points from the house, messing with the sale is one thing but messing with the new owners chances of making a living is different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭cjpm

According to anything I've heard, the neighbours won't be losing any sleep over it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I don't think they'd be calling them for help calving a cow.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod: Okay, given the animosity the previous auction has caused, I can't say I'm glad to see this thread resurrected.

So, as of now all posters are on-warning as regards behaviour. Prior warnings apply!

Keep speculation to a minimum. There is a difference between speculation and discussion.

Discussion of material available to all through the media is fair game.

Be mindful that a real family with friends, relations and supporters may read what is put on here.

Irrespective of your view-point I expect courtesy to others of the opposite view.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

According to anything I've heard, the neighbours won't be losing any sleep over it....

These are the type of post that are best avoided.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

greysides wrote: »
    Mod: Okay, given the animosity the previous auction has caused, I can't say I'm glad to see this thread resurrected.

So, as of now all posters are on-warning as regards behaviour. Prior warnings apply!

Keep speculation to a minimum. There is a difference between speculation and discussion.

Discussion of material available to all through the media is fair game.

Be mindful that a real family with friends, relations and supporters may read what is put on here.

Irrespective of your view-point I expect courtesy to others of the opposite view.

I completely agree with your post greysides but if opinion and speculation are taken out of the posts here there's going to be nothing but tumbleweed which is probably no bad thing at this stage.

I completely agree with your post greysides but if opinion and speculation are taken out of the posts here there's going to be nothing but tumbleweed which is probably no bad thing at this stage.

Opinion based on media reported 'facts' is reasonable. 'Opinions' based on here-say are dodgy. Speculation can be wild.

There's a line somewhere between what's reasonable discussion and what over steps the mark. That line may be different for each of us so it's hard to police.

Basically, a bit of cop-on will go a long way.

Discuss away but be aware posts may be edited.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The brochure isn't exactly bursting with information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'll probably really regret posting on this thread again but sure....have to find a way to keep Greysides & Buford busy :D
    James Doherty SC for the joint receivers told the court that in recent days the Kingstons had unlawfully re-taken possession of the farmland. This was something they were not entitled to do and there was “no basis” for their actions, counsel said.
    They were now trespassers, counsel added. There was also a concern the Kingstons would also put cattle onto the land, counsel said adding that such a measure had been “threatened.”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/high-court-orders-fittest-family-to-hand-over-farm-1.2753074

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Looks like the bank will have a non performing asset on their books for a while yet.

Advertisement