Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive service area for N7 Kill inbound.

Options
  • 16-04-2016 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

Just saw that the outdated esso station has been closed on the N7 inbound. Planning was granted for a massive development to include hotel, conference centre, fuel stop, convenience store & 4 restaurants. Probably will be the first service station under the new Topaz owners.

Also maxol have acquired the current Topaz site southbound just before the Kill exit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

it looks like they are just refurbishing the current building,
    putting a new door in, and giving it the Topaz look.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Definitely not getting a hotel & conference rooms. It's getting a few quid spent on it but it doesn't do enough business to warrant anything more then a lick of paint and a fresh interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,865 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The level of business it gets now != what it could get when renovated. The food product offered by the shed that was there was a few soggy sandwiches in a fridge; parking was non-existant, there were no toilets and driving out of the place would make most tourists crap themselves.

I don't see the hotel or conference centre being built ever but a far, far larger premises with toilets, parking, full food service etc would be justified immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

From Naas to m50 there is 1 station on the road inbound, 4 outbound. Main reason for that is people heading to Dublin for work don't tend to stop in the morning (time keeping etc) but on the way home don't feel as under pressure so will stop for a coffee or a blast of fuel. Also trucks head out of Dublin and fill up before heading down the country. Trucks coming up usually have Dublin as their destination and will have filled up earlier, unless their heading to the docks in which case they'll fill up there. A bigger station won't necessarily get more business as you described.

From Naas to m50 there is 1 station on the road inbound, 4 outbound. Main reason for that is people heading to Dublin for work don't tend to stop in the morning (time keeping etc) but on the way home don't feel as under pressure so will stop for a coffee or a blast of fuel. Also trucks head out of Dublin and fill up before heading down the country. Trucks coming up usually have Dublin as their destination and will have filled up earlier, unless their heading to the docks in which case they'll fill up there. A bigger station won't necessarily get more business as you described.

Pretty much exactly the same logic was used to suggest the inbound M4 station at Enfield and the M1 station at Lusk were doomed

They aren't.

People don't use the current station as its a tiny shitbox, nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Definitely not getting a hotel & conference rooms. It's getting a few quid spent on it but it doesn't do enough business to warrant anything more then a lick of paint and a fresh interior.

So the planning applied for was just drawn up for a bit of fun?

It may be that the current station is just getting a light renovation before they start on the new scheme - new scheme is ajoint venture with Goffs.

That is unbelieveably simplistic. Not every vehicle on that road is under time pressure and believe it or not,traffic on tat road doesn't stop at 9am.

Biggest problem with that station is that when there are 4 cars there, you can't get in. Food offering is non existent, coffee is kenco instant. Currently no reason to stop there unless you HAVE to.

Applegreen tried to do a deal with goffs - esso stopped it. Esso then joined up with goffs to combine their lands. Planning was applied for and granted - recession stopped the development, then Esso decided not to invest further as they were for sale. Topaz bought esso, Couche Tard have now bought the combined esso & topaz and are putting a lot of money into a new style of store - whether this sees ReStore remain or a rebrand to Circle K, I don't know, but the fighting that went on between Topaz & Applegreen on that site was very intense - the plannign files are all online.

So I doubt if its a "lick of paint"

https://www.circlek.com/

I would love to have the signage contracts for them. Shell change to Statoil, statoil change to topaz, topaz now change to Circle K. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

OP do you have a link to the planning documents?

VincePP wrote: »

I would love to have the signage contracts for them. Shell change to Statoil, statoil change to topaz, topaz now change to Circle K. :)

There are Esso stations being changed to Topaz in the interim also - I assume they only have the brand for a certain period. Sandymount Strand and the one on the quays in Dublin have both been done at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

So if there is any truth in this what is going to happen regarding Applegreens plans for the old concrete pipes factory site in Naas. I had heard that a Barrack Obama plaza complex was to be built there?

• Advertisement

cunnijo wrote: »
    So if there is any truth in this what is going to happen regarding Applegreens plans for the old concrete pipes factory site in Naas. I had heard that a Barrack Obama plaza complex was to be built there?

They would be unconnected, so likely both to go ahead if permission is given for Applegreen.

The Cemex site is intended to have a distribution centre and training offices for Applegreen also. The service area will likely resemble their other own ones rather than the Obama one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

L1011 wrote: »
    Pretty much exactly the same logic was used to suggest the inbound M4 station at Enfield and the M1 station at Lusk were doomed

They aren't.

People don't use the current station as its a tiny shitbox, nothing else.

Agree. Only stop in if I'm low on petrol and it looks empty. Otherwise I'm waiting in line for 5 mins to use it

If the plans to upgrade Naas to Red Cow to motorway status go ahead, the Esso garage would be closed down as it does not have the necessary entry and exit ramps for a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I pass by this place almost every day for the last 20yrs and I'd say I have stopped there probably 5 or 6 times, simple reason is that it just takes too long to get in & out for some diesel.

If my yellow refill light came on in the evening and I know I am going up the N7 in the morning, I would rather leave the house the evening before (and have on many occasions at 11pm) to fill up in the town, rather than stop there the following morning

An upgrade to this service station would be a massive welcome and I think would be very busy every morning. People knowing there is a service stop before they hit the main traffic stream would use it

ffocused wrote: »
    OP do you have a link to the planning documents?

08656 - grant in 2008
    1491 - extension to planning granted in 2014

Estimated commencement of work is mid 2016, completion date is early 2019.

If the plans to upgrade Naas to Red Cow to motorway status go ahead, the Esso garage would be closed down as it does not have the necessary entry and exit ramps for a motorway.

No plans whatsoever to upgrade the N7 to motorway. You may be mixing up the upgrade from M9 to Naas North section to 3 lanes with new interchange for sallins and Millenium park. This is proceeding and work should start next year as funds have been made available.

VincePP wrote: »
    No plans whatsoever to upgrade the N7 to motorway.

There is actually. Can't see it happening but its in the infrastructure plan.

http://kfm.ie/news/22122015-1544/%E2%82%AC43m-n7-grades - the 300 grand there is for early design works on it.

Advertisement