Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've only started watching basketball in the last couple of years so I'm not much of a judge of what or is not a great game but i thought it was brilliant stuff. Disappointed I won't be able to watch game 7.

Unfortunately I missed the last 3 minutes of the game because it went over the allotted time on the sky recorder and I stupidly forgot to tape the next programme, why does it take over 2.5 hours to complete a 48 minute game?Surely it should be completed in under 2 hours at least.

The clock stops for every whistle - it's not like other sports in that regard. So the 48minutes is actual playing time. Then you have breaks for quarters, half time and Time Outs. Throw in any debatable calls that need reviewing etc., any "dialogue" between players/coaches and the refs and heaven forbid a serious injury or a fight and it can run and run and run....it all adds up. I've been to OT games, they can go 3 hours + easily.

I remember one crazy situation when I was playing National League (back in the insanely lol-able "SuperLeague" days) where someone had the hall booked for say 9:30 for badminton or something and we would have had a 7:30 tip off for the game (this was 40min playing time btw). Our game went to OT and we had said badminton people walk on to the court - DURING THE GAME - to set up their nets and stuff. This with a few hundred people watching! Took some "discussion" before it was sorted, but goes to show how pig-ignorant some people can be.

3-1 is never really a big lead when 2 of the 3 games are on the trailing teams court.

It's just like the Clippers last year, you really need to close it out in 5, you lose that pressure game 6 on your home court and your now outsiders to progress.

Obviously a betting man would have taken OKC to progress from 3-1 but just going back a year shows how easily a team can lose three games running.

Was it said last year that it's only happened somewhere like 5/6 times?..... and the 3-0 return either remains at 0 or 1(the only one I think thats happened was in Baseball- Boston and NY iirc)

3-1 is never really a big lead when 2 of the 3 games are on the trailing teams court.

It's just like the Clippers last year, you really need to close it out in 5, you lose that pressure game 6 on your home court and your now outsiders to progress.

Obviously a betting man would have taken OKC to progress from 3-1 but just going back a year shows how easily a team can lose three games running.

Was it said last year that it's only happened somewhere like 5/6 times?..... and the 3-0 return either remains at 0 or 1(the only one I think thats happened was in Baseball- Boston and NY iirc)

I put a huge wedge on OKC last night - feeling it today. And I did this with GS as a team I LOVE to watch.

I couldn't see OKC losing AT HOME, but they did. They went into themselves. I don't think it's an understatement to say they choked last night. Mentally they'll be gone now. They might put up a 3Q fight tomorrow night, but they'll lose - I'm sure of it. For all their hard work they might as well have won their 3 home games and lost their 3 away. But how they've lost it will be an emotion killer and energy sapper. If you go 3-3 on the home and away it's no biggie and it's a one off game 7, but to be as down as they will be right now will kill them.

What's so bad about it is they had hammered GS in games 3 and 4 at home. Hammered them.

It's rare to lose from 3-1 up alright. I think it's 9 times in Playoff history (could be wrong on that though). But they had stolen home court so it's even more damning and hurtful.

Home team win game 7 in playoffs. In 124 Game 7s in NBA history, 100 have been won by the home team (just googled it). I'd imagine the odds are smaller again for higher pressure rounds like Conf. Finals.

Interesting fact on the Kerr era for GS - they've never lost a Game 5 or 6 in the play offs under him. They've not had a Game 7 yet.

The warriors grew up big time last night. That's the type of win that builds incredible character.

I was also waiting to hear LeJon make some punk comment about how it was "easy to win one" if they lost last night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Yessssssssssssss, what a game, what a game, series on baby.
    Klay was outstanding, just out of control.
    So happy they forced a game 7, tempted to go, jesus these warriors are going to make me broke at this stage.

Will be some game, even the cheap seats will be going for crazy money though.....
    Yea, cheapest is around 300, not too bad, it's what I paid for the last game of the season when they broke the record and game 5 was around the same.
    Silly money but I waste it on worse things

Yea, cheapest is around 300, not too bad, it's what I paid for the last game of the season when they broke the record and game 5 was around the same.

That's not too bad in fairness. I've paid more for regular season games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Great game.

What a choke job by OKC. Controlled the game throughout until the last 4 minutes and couldn't handle the pressure once GSW started to turn up the heat.

Westbrook and Durant in hero ball mode. Predictable outcome. I thought they had learned from previous seasons, but they reverted back. Their only chance is if they look in the mirror before game 7 and decide to put egos aside.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Great game.

What a choke job by OKC. Controlled the game throughout until the last 4 minutes and couldn't handle the pressure once GSW started to turn up the heat.

Westbrook and Durant in hero ball mode. Predictable outcome. I thought they had learned from previous seasons, but they reverted back. Their only chance is if they look in the mirror before game 7 and decide to put egos aside.

It's gone. They've blown it IMO.

I've praised Westbrook this off season but I think they're done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Warriors poised to become just two of think nearly 40 teams go behind 3 - 1 and win a conference final. Larry Bird Celtics were the last to do so I think.

They are great team with real self belief. Even if they don't go on to win the championship they have answered a lot of their critics already.

As good as it was, they haven't won anything yet, you need to try and put okc away early, they have too much talent to let them in with a chance going into the fourth.
    Warriors should win but I'll stay on the cautious side for now, the pressure shifts to the warriors

Gone up to $500 today for the cheap seats, to be expected

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Do I really need to answer that? Is it not obvious?

Indulge me :D as I asked already are you including players who made 2nd and 3rd teams

astonaidan wrote: »
    Indulge me :D as I asked already are you including players who made 2nd and 3rd teams

Of course I'm not including them.

The obvious ones already listed - Boogie, LA, AD, Drummond, Towns to start with. Throw in Vucevic definitely (check his stats - he's not fancy but he gets sh@t done) and Whiteside too. I know he was injured a lot this year but Marc Gasol too.

I'm not joking when I say this, even current era Dwight Howard is a better player than Jordan.

And Draymond if you think he's a centre.

If Jordan was playing for say the 6ers he'd not even be mentioned in this list. He benefits from spectacular dunks and playing with Chris Paul, but he's a VERY limited player. This is a farcical decision.

The obvious ones already listed - Boogie, LA, AD, Drummond, Towns to start with. Throw in Vucevic definitely (check his stats - he's not fancy but he gets sh@t done) and Whiteside too. I know he was injured a lot this year but Marc Gasol too.

I'm not joking when I say this, even current era Dwight Howard is a better player than Jordan.

If Jordan was playing for say the 6ers he'd not even be mentioned in this list. He benefits from spectacular dunks and playing with Chris Paul, but he's a VERY limited player. This is a farcical decision.
    So what your saying is that you don't rate Jordan? ;)
    I would agree though, he has never really improved that much over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

It was a bigger farce that DJ got on the all defensive 1st team too. He can block shots but he is a fairly ordinary post defender.

Hmm dont really agree with this tbh. LA is a PF as is Green. As you said Gasol was injured a lot this season. I dont see how you could have Whiteside over him, taking Heat were a better team with him coming of the bench and a massive criticism for him is he goes hunting blocks at the expense of defence.
    Stats can be decieving as Im sure every 76er fan will tell you, look at how MCW played in his rookie year.
    I dont love Jordan but I think hes a top defender, if he was on the 6ers he be getting 20ppg 10rebounds. Hed very much be mentioned

Hmm dont really agree with this tbh. LA is a PF as is Green. As you said Gasol was injured a lot this season. I dont see how you could have Whiteside over him, taking Heat were a better team with him coming of the bench and a massive criticism for him is he goes hunting blocks at the expense of defence.
    Stats can be decieving as Im sure every 76er fan will tell you, look at how MCW played in his rookie year.
    I dont love Jordan but I think hes a top defender, if he was on the 6ers he be getting 20ppg 10rebounds. Hed very much be mentioned

He would in his h0le score 20 a game. I'll bet you anything you want now he'll never average 20ppg for a season in his entire career - he's just not that kind of player. He can only score from 6 feet and in. No player that limited offensively will score 20ppg in the NBA.

His rebounding is solid, no question. He's an above average defensive player but not truly elite.

Have you seen him play in the flesh? He's honestly so limited offensively if it weren't for his athleticism he'd really struggle. The reason I ask this is I find a lot of people form opinions on players based on highlights - and he has some impressive highlights. But there's more to the game than alley oops off one of the best passing PGs in the game.

Throw him on that 6ers team and he'll be even worse. That's my point. He'll get his rebounds and his blocks but without CP threading the needle for him he'd be lost.

I'm not saying he's useless. Far from it. There's a place for role players in the NBA, and he's very good at what he does. But All NBA 1st team? Come on. He's not half the player boogie is. It's not even close. You think if Sacramento offered boogie for DJ + other assets there would even be a moments hesitation on the part of the clippers? Same with AD, same with Drummond, same with many others.

On LA and Draymond. They both played centre many, many times this year. Just because they're not typical centres doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered when they played there.

Ended up getting them for $275 today, the beginning of upper level, pretty happy with that, Memorial weekend too so tomorrow should be a good day, if they win of course....

Id disagree with you, if they got one top player, I dunno lets say Paul George they would be capable of getting past LBJ. Once in the finals anything can happen

DeRozan is reportedly leaving this summer (to LAL), so he has to be replaced.

Part of the problem is that Toronto just isn't attractive enough to superstar players. They have in the past and will continue to struggle to get anyone of real substance in trades. They also struggle to retain quality players when their rookie deals are up - there's a history of this from Carter, McGrady, Bosh etc.

Not a chance in hell George goes there. Why would he? If he wants to leave Indy, he'll have a list of suitors and Toronto won't be high on that list.

And even with George that team wouldn't beat the current LeJon team. Seriously, did you see any of the East Finals? They weren't even close. Toronto did well to win two games but all the others were complete blow outs.

Listened to the Ben Golliver podcast early this morning. Interesting take on how guys like LeJon, Westbrook and Durant don't respect Curry in the way they really should given his last two seasons.

He would in his h0le score 20 a game. I'll bet you anything you want now he'll never average 20ppg for a season in his entire career - he's just not that kind of player. He can only score from 6 feet and in. No player that limited offensively will score 20ppg in the NBA.

His rebounding is solid, no question. He's an above average defensive player but not truly elite.

Have you seen him play in the flesh? He's honestly so limited offensively if it weren't for his athleticism he'd really struggle. The reason I ask this is I find a lot of people form opinions on players based on highlights - and he has some impressive highlights. But there's more to the game than alley oops off one of the best passing PGs in the game.

Throw him on that 6ers team and he'll be even worse. That's my point. He'll get his rebounds and his blocks but without CP threading the needle for him he'd be lost.

I'm not saying he's useless. Far from it. There's a place for role players in the NBA, and he's very good at what he does. But All NBA 1st team? Come on. He's not half the player boogie is. It's not even close. You think if Sacramento offered boogie for DJ + other assets there would even be a moments hesitation on the part of the clippers? Same with AD, same with Drummond, same with many others.

On LA and Draymond. They both played centre many, many times this year. Just because they're not typical centres doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered when they played there.

Yeah saw him last year, and yeah I think he would get 20 a game for sure. Howard in Orlando got 20 a game, I think Jordan would have get 20 10

Off course hed struggle without athleticism what a random point, so would everyother player whos game was based around it including LBJ

Clippers dont have a package for Boogie though, I already agreed with you about him, AD and Drummond, I just didnt see 5 other better centres last season

No LA and Green shouldnt be considered for centre they arent centers, they didnt line up at that position enough to be considered, really stretching to prove a point if you want them included, you may aswell start including Love

I think you have a over dislike for him tbh and its clouding your judgement, like me personally I dont like him, I think he pulled a serious dick move last year with Dallas, that was his moment to show if he was bonafide but took the easy option sticking with CP3 and Blake.

• Advertisement

DeRozan is reportedly leaving this summer (to LAL), so he has to be replaced.

Part of the problem is that Toronto just isn't attractive enough to superstar players. They have in the past and will continue to struggle to get anyone of real substance in trades. They also struggle to retain quality players when their rookie deals are up - there's a history of this from Carter, McGrady, Bosh etc.

Not a chance in hell George goes there. Why would he? If he wants to leave Indy, he'll have a list of suitors and Toronto won't be high on that list.

And even with George that team wouldn't beat the current LeJon team. Seriously, did you see any of the East Finals? They weren't even close. Toronto did well to win two games but all the others were complete blow outs.

Oh God read what I wrote, I didnt say George would go there, you are over reacting, I used him as the standard of player. And yes I think with a George level player that they would compete

Ive said all that about Toronto that its hard for them to keep players why rehash whats been stated hence why they need to trade, although I do think the city is becoming a far more attractive destination purely because big media has become so much more accessible even since Bosh left, look at what Durant makes :eek:

Ive already mentioned DR leaving, would I like him to come to LAL yes, I dont know if he will though, for me its 60/40 in torontos favour, just remember Durant is supposedly leaving to 80% of the teams in the summer, changing by the week

Yeah saw him last year, and yeah I think he would get 20 a game for sure. Howard in Orlando got 20 a game, I think Jordan would have get 20 10

Off course hed struggle without athleticism what a random point, so would everyother player whos game was based around it including LBJ

Clippers dont have a package for Boogie though, I already agreed with you about him, AD and Drummond, I just didnt see 5 other better centres last season

No LA and Green shouldnt be considered for centre they arent centers, they didnt line up at that position enough to be considered, really stretching to prove a point if you want them included, you may aswell start including Love

I think you have a over dislike for him tbh and its clouding your judgement, like me personally I dont like him, I think he pulled a serious dick move last year with Dallas, that was his moment to show if he was bonafide but took the easy option sticking with CP3 and Blake.

So you can read my mind now? :rolleyes:

Not at all on your comment btw, I'm completely neutral on him. There are guys I hate - LeJon obviously, but Dj is off radar to me beause he's just jot at that level.

Let me put it this way, if he made 3rd team I'd be raising my eyebrows and going "well someone got lucky", but 1st team? I'm sorry but that's just utterly, utterly ridiculous.

There's mitigating circumstances with so many injuries etc., but still. He's not even Top 3 by any stretch of the imagination - to make him 1st Team All NBA is just smh sh*t. Even Clippers fans would take Boogie, Davis, Drummond, Gasol (Marc) or Towns over him a heartbeat. If you consider Pau Gasol (personally i consider him a forward) a centre I'd take him too. The LA and Draymond debate is not a stretch. Both played big minutes there this season.

If you consider the two or three headed beast OKC have right now (depending on how you look at it - Adams, Ibaka and Kanter) I doubt they'd give up any of those either for Jordan.

Ended up getting them for $275 today, the beginning of upper level, pretty happy with that, Memorial weekend too so tomorrow should be a good day, if they win of course....

Take pics dude, and post them. Make us jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Listened to the Ben Golliver podcast early this morning. Interesting take on how guys like LeJon, Westbrook and Durant don't respect Curry in the way they really should given his last two seasons.

The three of them may well be revising their opinion by the end of June :)

Will be interesting to see tonight how the expected 'guarding' of Curry is officiated. Home town refs and all .....

So you can read my mind now? :rolleyes:

Not at all on your comment btw, I'm completely neutral on him. There are guys I hate - LeJon obviously, but Dj is off radar to me beause he's just jot at that level.

Let me put it this way, if he made 3rd team I'd be raising my eyebrows and going "well someone got lucky", but 1st team? I'm sorry but that's just utterly, utterly ridiculous.

There's mitigating circumstances with so many injuries etc., but still. He's not even Top 3 by any stretch of the imagination - to make him 1st Team All NBA is just smh sh*t. Even Clippers fans would take Boogie, Davis, Drummond, Gasol (Marc) or Towns over him a heartbeat. If you consider Pau Gasol (personally i consider him a forward) a centre I'd take him too. The LA and Draymond debate is not a stretch. Both played big minutes there this season.

If you consider the two or three headed beast OKC have right now (depending on how you look at it - Adams, Ibaka and Kanter) I doubt they'd give up any of those either for Jordan.

Well I did say think :rolleyes: See I can do that to :pac:

I have agreed with you, I dont think he should have got 1st or 2nd but Id have said 3rd wasnt a surprise, hes considered maybe the second best defensive anchor in the league.

Well Marc Gasol was injured, so you cant really count him, you keep mentioning the 3 centres that I said would be above him, but you said there was 5 more youd have over him
    LA Green is a stretch, come on you know this, its not the all stars

Your honestly saying Adams and Kanter are better than him, christ you may aswell start throwing Bismark in aswell, why not Monroe hell the Lopez amigos play center

Your honestly saying Adams and Kanter are better than him, christ you may aswell start throwing Bismark in aswell, why not Monroe hell the Lopez amigos play center

Not saying individually...I said as a tandem/triumvirate. I'll tell you one guy who'll be getting a max next contract discussion is Steven Adams.

Brook Lopez is a very good player but he's always injured. He's certainly a way better offensive player than DJ. The dude is also HUGE. The other Lopez is meh.

Well I did say think :rolleyes: See I can do that to :pac:

I have agreed with you, I dont think he should have got 1st or 2nd but Id have said 3rd wasnt a surprise, hes considered maybe the second best defensive anchor in the league.

Well Marc Gasol was injured, so you cant really count him, you keep mentioning the 3 centres that I said would be above him, but you said there was 5 more youd have over him
    LA Green is a stretch, come on you know this, its not the all stars

So you agree that it's a joke that he got 1st Team then? Which is what my original post was about.

So you agree that it's a joke that he got 1st Team then? Which is what my original post was about.

Yes Ive stated that loads of time, we both think this, Ive never said he should have, as Ive said already, you said their was 5 players more worthy I didnt and still dont see it and this was excluding AD, Boogie and Drummond who we both said are the top 3 after them I dont agree with you saying their is 5 better players

Not saying individually...I said as a tandem/triumvirate. I'll tell you one guy who'll be getting a max next contract discussion is Steven Adams.

Brook Lopez is a very good player but he's always injured. He's certainly a way better offensive player than DJ. The dude is also HUGE. The other Lopez is meh.

Off course Adams will be getting a max contract coversation, hes a decent center in a league lacking in bigs, thats just a obvious statement, Steph Curry will be getting one too.
    Brook is better at offence but far weaker in defence than Jordan, still if he had a proper run at fitness when he was on a good team, he might make a All NBA team, till then hes not really in conversation

• Advertisement

Yes Ive stated that loads of time, we both think this, Ive never said he should have, as Ive said already, you said their was 5 players more worthy I didnt and still dont see it and this was excluding AD, Boogie and Drummond who we both said are the top 3 after them I dont agree with you saying their is 5 better players

I know we're labouring this but come Day 1 of the NEW season when all the injured guys are back in, he's not Top 5/6 however you want to call it. IMO - you can of course disagree.

There's two points under discussion here.
    1. Did he deserve 1st Team All NBA. We both agree no.
    2. Are there 5 better centers in the NBA? Do you mean as of today - as in healthy and can suit up - or do you mean better players, better skillsets, more productive and more valuable to their teams - surely the more important barometer?

5 better as of start of next season:
    1. Boogie
    2. Davis
    3. Drummond
    4. Gasol
    5. Towns

Advertisement