Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've gotten lucky with the Warriors these past few years. Not a huge fan of other American sports, go to the odd football game but I hate the niners new stadium, it's horrendous.
    I envy people back home being able to go to so many soccer games, standard isn't too hot here.
    Although Iam going to Argentina v Chile on Monday night in the Copa America, looking forward to that, warm up for the Euros.

Did you take any pics the other night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I've gotten lucky with the Warriors these past few years. Not a huge fan of other American sports, go to the odd football game but I hate the niners new stadium, it's horrendous.
    I envy people back home being able to go to so many soccer games, standard isn't too hot here.
    Although Iam going to Argentina v Chile on Monday night in the Copa America, looking forward to that, warm up for the Euros.

Did you take any pics the other night?
    I have a few bad ones from before tip in, Iam not a big picture taker unless it's really worth it, like my curry photo and Steve Nash photo from earlier in the year.
    My pet peeve is people constantly taking photos at events, it's just exasperated here with the tech crowd and Asian population, I swear they spend half their time on their phone during the game.

I have a few bad ones from before tip in, Iam not a big picture taker unless it's really worth it, like my curry photo and Steve Nash photo from earlier in the year.
    My pet peeve is people constantly taking photos at events, it's just exasperated here with the tech crowd and Asian population, I swear they spend half their time on their phone during the game.

Racist!

JOKE BTW!

Just referencing the time someone on here accused me of the same for mentioning there were a lot of Asian tourists at a Nets Clippers game I was at. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mjavi

I'm an Asian techie guy and it is quite.. true. No salty feelings whatsoever.

Looking forward to game 1 and i'm GSW all the way (until the Lakers get better next season :D). Stopped liking LBJ since his 'moving my talent to South Beach' act. Wouldn't care if my other friends call me a bandwagon either.

mjavi wrote: »

Looking forward to game 1 and i'm GSW all the way (until the Lakers get better next season :D). Stopped liking LBJ since his 'moving my talent to South Beach' act. Wouldn't care if my other friends call me a bandwagon either.

Lakers will get better...they couldn't be any worse ;)....but hop on that GS bandwagon if you want to see the finals as you don't be seeing them in LA for I would say probably the next decade (bar major trades).

• Advertisement

I think they're in a much better shape than say SacTown where you're in a situation where you cannot land a high draft pick but cannot attract a top tier free agent.

It looks like the Lakers are on the way up next season, with Walton, a ton of cash and a lot of very good young players free from KB. Probably add 15 - 20 in their win column.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Lakers will get better...they couldn't be any worse ;)....but hop on that GS bandwagon if you want to see the finals as you don't be seeing them in LA for I would say probably the next decade (bar major trades).

Would be surprised if it took a decade to get to the top, they still a massive destination, similar to the celtics, bigger teams tend to swing up a little quicker

Racist!

JOKE BTW!

Just referencing the time someone on here accused me of the same for mentioning there were a lot of Asian tourists at a Nets Clippers game I was at. :)
    Probably the same people that have only traveled as far as the algarve on their holidays...
    Iam far from being racist (well actually everyone is a little racist whether thwy want to admit it or not) but I do love to throw out racist insults at my Asian and Mexican friends.

mjavi wrote: »

It's probably most teenagers to adolescents that are obsessed with the photos and selfie thing. It baffles me but each to their own.
    Some of my friends get really upset with all the "bandwagon" warrior supporters, I don't get why ? Isn't it not a good thing more people are exposed to the game and support the team, Iam all for bandwagoners, haters going to hate as they say.
    It's unfortunate that people get priced out but thats the price of capitalism and the free market

It's probably most teenagers to adolescents that are obsessed with the photos and selfie thing. It baffles me but each to their own.
    Some of my friends get really upset with all the "bandwagon" warrior supporters, I don't get why ? Isn't it not a good thing more people are exposed to the game and support the team, Iam all for bandwagoners, haters going to hate as they say.
    It's unfortunate that people get priced out but thats the price of capitalism and the free market

Its like that now in Connacht, the "real" supporters throwing comments around galore, Im of the same mind, the more the merrier, it doesnt affect my enjoyment of the game

• Advertisement

Game 1 tonight, looking forward to it, officially priced out of tickets but at least it's bbq time.

Not sure what to expect in this one.
    It's a rematch but it's a totally different scenario, warriors have improved despite their recent little slump, Curry has been phenomenal and Thomson has become a killer, when he is aggressive, he is brilliant.
    Cavs are going to be a totally different team from last year, more team ball with better players.
    Last year it was just LeBron on isolation play after play, he was amazing but too much to ask.
    Really will be interesting to see how it pans out.
    I saw a few predictions of a sweep for Warriors, that's just ridiculous, I could see it going the 7 games easy.
    Love him or hate him, lebron is a beast and now he has weapons in Irving and love

I see it as GS in 6 max, but more likely 5.

GS will be on a high mentally - and crucially, guarded - after the OKC series. The Cavs meanwhile have been cruising so will not be at 100% IMO.

LeBron will likely be going to 2-5 in Finals. Hmmmmmmmm........

• Registered Users Posts: 39,876 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see it as GS in 6 max, but more likely 5.

GS will be on a high mentally - and crucially, guarded - after the OKC series. The Cavs meanwhile have been cruising so will not be at 100% IMO.

LeBron will likely be going to 2-5 in Finals. Hmmmmmmmm........

So butterssuki you are saying that the cleveland sporting drought will continue then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

astonaidan wrote: »
    Its like that now in Connacht, the "real" supporters throwing comments around galore, Im of the same mind, the more the merrier, it doesnt affect my enjoyment of the game

i dont mind new people to the game doing it but warriors fans who where heat fans until recently can eat a dick

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So butterssuki you are saying that the cleveland sporting drought will continue then ?

Yes.

I just can't see LeJon and co. beating the warriors bar injury to a warriors player. They are a much better TEAM, whereas the Cavs are too reliant on LeJon. GS are deeper, have better weapons and you know Klay will go off on one of those insane games at some stage during the finals.

I also don't think the Cavs are at the intensity level required to cause an upset given how easy they've had it in the East. GSW on the other hand looked elimination in the eye and came out the other side of it. I think they answered a lot of critics and questions doing what they did.

LeJon is also going to have to work his ass off for anything he gets off Iggy/Draymond. Delly and Kyrie will be guarding Steph. No contest really - esp. if it's Kyrie.

I've also said consistently the winners will be coming from the West. I see GS, OKC and San An as all being superior to the the Cavs. I'm not jumping ship now.

If LeJon and the Cavs beat a healthy GS, then fair play to him and them. I just don't see it. I don't even think it'll be that close tbh.

Finally, on the Cleveland thing - LeJon has to take some of that on himself. What he did to that city with the Miami move will forever taint his legacy whether he likes it or not.

nerd69 wrote: »
    i dont mind new people to the game doing it but warriors fans who where heat fans until recently can eat a dick

How is that even possible? Does such a person exist? I can kinda understand a heat fan being a cavs fan......but to flip teams, conferences, everything really AND they're playing your hero LeJon now?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,876 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As the finals start tonight and I'm a Celtics fan. Happy 30th, 40th, and 50th anniversaries to the 1986,1976,1966 championship winning Boston Celtics teams.

Well that was interesting, Warriors bench, especially Livingston win game 1. Curry and Thompson don't do squat, I'll take that every day of the week.
    Even though the Cavs came back at one point, I never felt like the Warriors were in real trouble, win the next game and they should be looking good for the series.
    I think the Cavs might have to play Mosgov more like last year, very hard to compete with Warriors playing small.

Livingston is some pro, anyone that doesn't know his story, just YouTube Livingston injury, it was horrendous, how he came back from that is remarkable, went from team to team, d league...fair play to him, he has one of the sweetest mid range jumpers in the game

Too easy. Never really looked in doubt.

LeJon going 1 v 5 and not looking to get team mates involved. If he does that again they'll (GS) just let him get his 40 and laugh all the way to the championship.

I said GS were deeper and GS had 7 players in double digits (Klay wasn't even one of them!) last night, that's really hard to defend. It speaks of passing and movement.

They were also beaten up and down the court all night on the break. Considering they're fresher that's disappointing and worrying from a desire perspective.

But most worrying for Cleveland is the fact that the splash brothers weren't great (by their standards) AND they still lost.

Well that was interesting, Warriors bench, especially Livingston win game 1. Curry and Thompson don't do squat, I'll take that every day of the week.
    Even though the Cavs came back at one point, I never felt like the Warriors were in real trouble, win the next game and they should be looking good for the series.
    I think the Cavs might have to play Mosgov more like last year, very hard to compete with Warriors playing small.

Livingston is some pro, anyone that doesn't know his story, just YouTube Livingston injury, it was horrendous, how he came back from that is remarkable, went from team to team, d league...fair play to him, he has one of the sweetest mid range jumpers in the game

Livingston is such a throwback to the midrange game. Cavs got some good D on the Splash bros (banging them between screens etc) and the bench (anyone not named Steph / Klay) rose to the occasion.

They had a legitimate chance of stealing the victory with both Splash Bros not playing well but they unraveled after the Delly on-ball defense on Igoudala. Next thing we know Steph and Klay just hit 3's that put the cherry on top of the icing on the cake.

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »

Yeah I know what you mean, I have no problem people picking them as there first team though. I dont support them but I appreciate them
    You see it in soccer, look in the forum there is a guy who supported Chelsea, then Barca, Then Bayern and will cheer on City next year, its glory hunting to the max

How is that even possible? Does such a person exist? I can kinda understand a heat fan being a cavs fan......but to flip teams, conferences, everything really AND they're playing your hero LeJon now?

I have a friend with a Kobe, first Cleveland LBJ, Heat LBJ, now Curry jersey

Might just be a collector astonaidan. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not looking good for the Cavs when Curry and Klay are not really big factors in the game and they still lose. If they were told that before the game they would have been confident of picking up the game 1 victory. Some of the Cavs defence in transition was really bad. How many times did the Warriors have a guy sneak into the paint completely unguarded for a simple dunk or layup? Happened a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

But most worrying for Cleveland is the fact that the splash brothers weren't great (by their standards) AND they still lost.

Yeah thats the biggest indicator that the series might be over in 5. The 2 star players produce very little and the game is still incredibly comfortable for GS.

I couldnt believe how 'soft' the game felt though watching it. It didnt seem to have the intensity of a Finals Game 1. Maybe thats just me though

So he's cheering for his new hero against his former hero? Smh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I only saw the highlights, but why in the hell did JR Smith only take 3 shots?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Some people just enjoy the sport and like buying jerseys?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Very disappointing game from a Cavs perspective. Worst thing was that the fast moving passing game that got us to The Finals was just forgotten about. Maybe thinking a bit too forward but Game 2 is now must win.

Seen a stat there that LeBron is 1-6 in Game 1 in The Finals, that's insane

• Advertisement

It's early days and the Cavs will make adjustments for sure, I predict a fired up Cavs team for the next game, if the Warriors can still come away with victory then they should be confident of stealing one on the road.
    That game just came across as a regular season game, Cavs seemed to give up early too in the fourth with around 3 mins left, game had slipped away but there was no desperation.
    Cavs coach said he was happy with how they played...imagine popovich after a performance like that !

Advertisement