Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,497 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Seen the second half of that game last night, it was some beatdown. I can't see any way that Cleveland get back into this. Their confidence must be shot at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Both sections in bold are fair.

Plus, on the latter, he'd be a God in Cleveland if he had stayed. There are still fans there who hate him (and rightly so IMO) for what he did.

For me - and this is something I don't think he fully gets - his legacy is tainted because he had to leave to get a ring with the Superfriends Team anyway.

It really shows how bad the East is though when that Cavs team went 12-2 coasting in the East and are now getting schooled in the Finals. I said all year that the 3 best teams were in the West (GS, SA and OKC). If you're Durant and Westbrook watching this you must be sick as a dog.

Yeah, I completely agree. I would love to see a prime superstar or two deflect to the East just to shake things up a bit. The East has picked up a bit this year to be fair, but it's still miles away from even being a challenge to a LeBron led Cavs as things stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Westbrook can't until next year at least.

Still think KD stays (primarily for money reasons) OR if he goes, he goes to the Warriors (yes) or SA. The rich get richer.......

Yeah I know Westbrook cant leave but makes sense for them both to swap conferences, Durant take a year contract and both leave to say Boston next year then bam easier run at title than rocking into Spurs and GSW

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

astonaidan wrote: »
    Yeah I know Westbrook cant leave but makes sense for them both to swap conferences, Durant take a year contract and both leave to say Boston next year then bam easier run at title than rocking into Spurs and GSW

Yes it's an easier run in but surely if you win the West then you're pretty much home and dry?

If you're Durant, that small forward berth in GS looks pretty tempting doesn't it. Esp. when Barnes goes to LA.........

That GS team with him replacing Barnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Someone will always take the fall when Lebron loses in the finals. It just won't ever be Lebron.

Last year Blatt took the fall. This year I suspect it'll be Love, though don't count Irving out.

• Advertisement

The Warriors won the first two games by a combined 48 points, the largest margin in Finals history, and they did it without signature efforts from Curry (18 points on 7-of-11 shooting) or Klay Thompson (17 points on 6-of-13 shooting). What’s more, Golden State has now won seven consecutive games over Cleveland dating back to the 2015 Finals, prevailing by an average margin of victory of 18.6 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Someone will always take the fall when Lebron loses in the finals. It just won't ever be Lebron.

Last year Blatt took the fall. This year I suspect it'll be Love, though don't count Irving out.

The Warriors' game plan is simple: Find Kyrie Irving and score on him (from Game 1)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I reckon Warriors will win tonight, just to stop any talk of a comeback, maybe take pedal off for the fourth game, and win in Oakland!

I know betting talk is not popular here, but they are great price to win tonight at 20/23.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I wish they'd just get on and play a damn game. Seriously, one game every three days is ridiculous.

The schedule combined with the hideous play makes it tough to stay interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cavs are favourites tonight at 20/21, Warriors 21/20. Cavs 1 point favourites on the spread.

I actually do think the Cavs will win tonight myself but hope the Warriors all but finish the job.

• Advertisement

Can't see Cavs winning more than 1 - if even that. As someone posted above, it's a very boring, anticlimactic finals. Maybe if someone went lights out shooting for 40+ or something it would better. Maybe we need a fight? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Quick question, I noticed on Paddy Power that the GS moneyline is priced at 10/11 but their +1 spread is priced at evens. Shouldn't it be the other way around? What is the logic behind it? In fact why does there exists a +1 spread in basketball when there can never be a draw?

Edit: And sorry that this is a betting related question and not specifically to do with the game tonight. But it's nice general information I'd like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

FatRat wrote: »
    Quick question, I noticed on Paddy Power that the GS moneyline is priced at 10/11 but their +1 spread is priced at evens. Shouldn't it be the other way around? What is the logic behind it?
    Yes, that's a genuine pricing discrepancy, of which there are many on every betting website, because they have funny algorithms.
    In fact why does there exists a +1 spread in basketball when there can never be a draw?
    In the three-way market, it allows betting on a handicap draw and also usually allows handicap bets to be placed at odds of evens, for both teams.

In the two-way market, you get your stake back if the outcome is a handicap draw (Cavs win by 1 point).

FatRat wrote: »
    Quick question, I noticed on Paddy Power that the GS moneyline is priced at 10/11 but their +1 spread is priced at evens. Shouldn't it be the other way around? What is the logic behind it? In fact why does there exists a +1 spread in basketball when there can never be a draw?

Edit: And sorry that this is a betting related question and not specifically to do with the game tonight. But it's nice general information I'd like to know.

Warriors were 20/23 and two point favourites earlier so wondering if there is hint they are resting, or maybe just people assuming that Cavs have to win one, and are backing accordingly? Not convinced of that and have had more on the Warriors at bigger price.

The handicap is Warriors + 2 now.

Even if Cleveland are to win one, I would reckon it be more likely the fourth game, as unless Warriors have an off day, they will want to put any idea of a turnaround out of Cavs minds. I think they got such a shock against Oklahoma that there will be no slip ups tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

At least the Cavs made things interesting again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Has the idea of a neutral venue for game 7 ever been mentioned? Home court has been insanely advantageous this post season. At the moment this seems destined for a game 7 comfy win for GSW.

Has the idea of a neutral venue for game 7 ever been mentioned? Home court has been insanely advantageous this post season. At the moment this seems destined for a game 7 comfy win for GSW.

It's not going 7.

Home court rewards the team who played best throughout the season. It's there in most American sports. I have no issue with it. No, neutral venue is never discussed (at least seriously!).

paulie21 wrote: »
    At least the Cavs made things interesting again

They played well and GS played badly. I think it's a combination of the two.

What's slightly worrying for GS is neither Klay nor Steph have dialled in yet though. Or maybe that should be worrying for the Cavs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It's not going 7.

Home court rewards the team who played best throughout the season. It's there in most American sports. I have no issue with it. No, neutral venue is never discussed (at least seriously!).

Yeah that's true. I guess games have never been this one sided due to home court. It's like teams are giving up early, saving themselves for the next game.

Well, didn't see that coming!

Warriors looked like they were about to turn it around near end of second quarter but were uncannily like the Cavs in their Oakland surrender for the second half.

Not a good time for Steph and Klay to be reverting to the mean!

• Advertisement

Listened to the latest Bill Simmons Podcast after the game as I couldn't sleep. Simmons almost always has interesting non-athlete guests on. Malcolm Gladwell was the this episodes. If you don't know him, he's pretty smart (to put it mildly). What I didn't know was how much of a sports junkie he was. Really interesting show, worth a listen.

Going to rewatch the game some day between now and game 4 for a further deconstruction. One thing I don't see happening again though is Kyrie playing that well. With Love off the floor they seemed to have more energy. I do like Love and as I've said before I think he's being very badly utilised on this team, but like someone previously posted he'll be LeJon's fall guy when they lose and this only strengthens that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,497 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's not going 7.

Two different conferences so it's unfair that one team gets HFA.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Two different conferences so it's unfair that one team gets HFA.

Yes. It's unfair the west play each other so much. Put GS in the east and they win 80games this year.

Crazy argument to make.

The east is weak as any time I've ever seen it.

If the Cavs can't beat GS's or for that matter San An's record playing in a much, much weaker conference that's on them.

Home court is a historical thing in a lot of American sports. It's earned through regular season performance so as you don't encourage teams to coast during the year and save themselves for the playoffs.

Are you Cleveland fan by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Couldn't watch the game as the plane I was coming back to Ireland had no tv or WiFi....was like the twilight zone.
    Better off though by the sound of if,it really is shocking that there can be such a points swing in these games and such big margins in the wins.
    Does the NBA just not play defence anymore ??

Game 4 GS win. They'll turn the screw.

Yes. It's unfair the west play each other so much. Put GS in the east and they win 80games this year.

Crazy argument to make.

The east is weak as any time I've ever seen it.

If the Cavs can't beat GS's or for that matter San An's record playing in a much, much weaker conference that's on them.

Home court is a historical thing in a lot of American sports. It's earned through regular season performance so as you don't encourage teams to coast during the year and save themselves for the playoffs.

Are you Cleveland fan by any chance?

Thats not exactly true. It doesnt exist in American Football and in MLB its decided by the winner of the All-Star game, which I think is a fair way to do it.

Thats not exactly true. It doesnt exist in American Football and in MLB its decided by the winner of the All-Star game, which I think is a fair way to do it.

It does exist in American Football actually - teams with better records (and in some cases divisional champs in cases of similar records etc.) get home field advantage right up to the Superbowl. The Superbowl is the only playoff game played on a neutral ground.

And it does exist in baseball. It's decided who gets it a different way but one team still gets 4 home games in the 7 game world series. N

You're not seriously suggesting a team should get home court based on the NBA All Star Game are you?

Baseball All Star only decides who gets first games. It is an advantage but not as big a one as in NBA, as shown by stats going way back.

NFL is one game. That why they are uniquely neutral for championship game.

It does exist in American Football actually - teams with better records (and in some cases divisional champs in cases of similar records etc.) get home field advantage right up to the Superbowl. The Superbowl is the only playoff game played on a neutral ground.

And it does exist in baseball. It's decided who gets it a different way but one team still gets 4 home games in the 7 game world series. N

You're not seriously suggesting a team should get home court based on the NBA All Star Game are you?

Not a NBA all star god no
    But it still doesnt decided the title in NFL, the title is neutral like the guy was saying
    Off course one team gets 4 home games but its not decided how you said in record, its on the Allstar game
    In fairness Cavs should have home ground and Miami before that in that they are a super team in a weak division

• Advertisement

Not a NBA all star god no
    But it still doesnt decided the title in NFL, the title is neutral like the guy was saying
    Off course one team gets 4 home games but its not decided how you said in record, its on the Allstar game
    In fairness Cavs should have home ground and Miami before that in that they are a super team in a weak division

WHY????? This makes no sense?

You're saying the Cavs should have home ground vs the GSW even though they have significantly less wins in the regular season in a far easier conference? How is that fair? Does LeJon not have enough advantages already with never being called for travels or fouls?

Advertisement