Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,402 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

I'm going to rewatch later but some of those calls and indeed non-calls were just ridiculous.

Also, LeJon at 6'8" blocks the smallest guy on the court and talks shlt to him? So tough....lol. And he wonders why he's so unpopular?

Also, if anyone blocked LeJon and as much as looked at him afterwards they'd get a technical for taunting. Such a double standard.

Final thing I'll say on LeJon today, watch the right forearm/elbow when he drives to the left. Offensive foul every single time.

The taunting of Curry was a joke, such a classless man

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The taunting of Curry was a joke, such a classless man

But here's the thing....under NBA rules, taunting an opponent after a play is supposed to be a Technical. LeJon (AGAIN) gets a free pass.:confused::confused::confused:

http://videorulebook.nba.com/archive/technical-foul-taunting/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The begrudgery on this thread is hilarious. Hope the cavs win just to hear the litany of excuses. The obsession with James is, to say the least, telling...

The begrudgery on this thread is hilarious. Hope the cavs win just to hear the litany of excuses. The obsession with James is, to say the least, telling...

How exactly is it begrudging? I'm curious.

• Advertisement

How exactly is it begrudging? I'm curious.

Refusing to give any credit whatsoever to the player for anything he achieves, conspiracy theories to explain his successes, sniping and concocting excuses when he wins, and ALWAYS focusing your ire on him? It's the textbook definition of begrudgery!

Refusing to give any credit whatsoever to the player for anything he achieves, conspiracy theories to explain his successes, sniping and concocting excuses when he wins, and ALWAYS focusing your ire on him? It's the textbook definition of begrudgery!

That's a very selective interpretation.

I have often praised him.

Conspiracy theories? Seriously? If you're referring to what i said about the refereeing I stand by that. Or do you think these Finals have been refereed well? And 100% impartially?

Concocting excuses? Where have I done that? The statements I've made on travelling? Stevie Wonder can see he travels. The statements I've made on him getting calls in some cases and not being called for obvious fouls in others are fair - or do you disagree?

The guy is built like a brick shlthouse yet goes down like he's been shot on the lightest of contact sometimes. Or are you going to debate that too?

ALWAYS focusing my ire on him? No, I've criticized many players in the league where their play or behaviour warrants it. I don't just criticize him you know. In fact I'd say I'm much harder on Melo.

However, I'm not a fanboy.There are aspects to is game and character (yes, character) that deserve criticism. Or are you such a fan you can't see that?

That's a very selective interpretation.

I have often praised him.

Conspiracy theories? Seriously? If you're referring to what i said about the refereeing I stand by that. Or do you think these Finals have been refereed well? And 100% impartially?

Concocting excuses? Where have I done that? The statements I've made on travelling? Stevie Wonder can see he travels. The statements I've made on him getting calls in some cases and not being called for obvious fouls in others are fair - or do you disagree?

The guy is built like a brick shlthouse yet goes down like he's been shot on the lightest of contact sometimes. Or are you going to debate that too?

ALWAYS focusing my ire on him? No, I've criticized many players in the league where their play or behaviour warrants it. I don't just criticize him you know. In fact I'd say I'm much harder on Melo.

However, I'm not a fanboy.There are aspects to is game and character (yes, character) that deserve criticism. Or are you such a fan you can't see that?

I'm not a fan at all, I'm a Bulls fan, but it's pretty incessant, as in every post (not just you by any means).

I'll grant you the refereeing has been bad, and I'm fully sure he gets some preferential treatment like all the big stars do in any sport, but no more than that. I just think that the tendency to call out the travelling etc is pretty obvious confirmation bias. When they won Game 5 (I think it was?) he scored nearly 50 points and the only comment on it was that he should have been called for travelling twice. If that isn't an example of confirmation bias I don't know what is, no credit given whatsoever.

To reiterate, I don't like LeBron James, but he's a great player, there doesn't seem to be any willingness to acknowledge it, it's as if his ability is entirely due to refereeing bias and fouling.

I'm not a fan at all, I'm a Bulls fan, but it's pretty incessant, as in every post (not just you by any means).

I'll grant you the refereeing has been bad, and I'm fully sure he gets some preferential treatment like all the big stars do in any sport, but no more than that. I just think that the tendency to call out the travelling etc is pretty obvious confirmation bias. When they won Game 5 (I think it was?) he scored nearly 50 points and the only comment on it was that he should have been called for travelling twice. If that isn't an example of confirmation bias I don't know what is, no credit given whatsoever.

To reiterate, I don't like LeBron James, but he's a great player, there doesn't seem to be any willingness to acknowledge it, it's as if his ability is entirely due to refereeing bias and fouling.

He scored 41. that's not nearly 50 by any stretch. Sorry to be pedantic but there's a massive difference between 41 and 50/nearly 50.

Ok, on the travels. here's why it matters. If you score on a travel that's a potential 4 point swing as it's 2 you shouldn't have got and an offense wiped off the opposition team. 2 of those a game is a potential 8 point swing (or more if you count 3's on the offensive possession, and 1's etc).

EVERY PLAY MATTERS, as he said himself during the Charlotte Heat series a few weeks ago:
    “A play in the first quarter is just as important as a play in the last four seconds,” [said James.] “That’s how playoff basketball is played, that’s how the game of basketball should be played. And I think for the youth, the kids that love the game so much, I don’t think they should hear that, ‘Oh, it’s OK to talk about the last 2 minutes calls missed.’ We should talk about the whole game, if that’s the case, because the whole game matters. You miss an assignment in the first quarter, it can hurt you in the fourth quarter. So, I’m not fond of it all.”

So every play matters when it suits him, but not when it doesn't? Strange.

You'd swear it's me on some personal crusade against him. In case you hadn't noticed there are many, many people who think he gets way more than the norm of "superstar calls". Curry is arguably a bigger star right now in the NBA than him, yet Curry didn't get many calls last night (quite the opposite in fact).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dear Steph Curry:
    Please explode for 50-60 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Piss off, LeBron.

That is all. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Jeez the LeBron hatred in here is unreal.
    Anything LeBron does that is perceived as negative is being done by other players in the league too but no-one seems to care. All the calls are down to sh1t officiating and not one sided officiating IMO.
    I am not a LeBron fan or a Cavs fan by the way and had picked the Warriors to win from the start of the season, and for what it is worth, I still think they will.
    Travelling is a widespread issue across every team in the league, Draymond Green is always guilty of it, never hear it as an issue in here.
    Varejao flops and no-one bats an eyelid.
    Green's consistent dirty plays are almost excusable in here.
    Curry reaches play after play in Game 6 and everyone is surprised when he fouls out, if you reach you always run the risk of picking up soft fouls. Maybe he needs to put more time into his defence this off-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

I agree the forum has been laughably negative about LeBron. Cleveland pull back from 3-1 to level it up (the first team in 50 years to achieve this) on the back of superhuman performances from LBL; this series has without a doubt cemented his place as one of the all time greatest.

killwill wrote: »
    Jeez the LeBron hatred in here is unreal.
    Anything LeBron does that is perceived as negative is being done by other players in the league too but no-one seems to care. All the calls are down to sh1t officiating and not one sided officiating IMO.
    I am not a LeBron fan or a Cavs fan by the way and had picked the Warriors to win from the start of the season, and for what it is worth, I still think they will.
    Travelling is a widespread issue across every team in the league, Draymond Green is always guilty of it, never hear it as an issue in here.
    Varejao flops and no-one bats an eyelid.
    Green's consistent dirty plays are almost excusable in here.
    Curry reaches play after play in Game 6 and everyone is surprised when he fouls out, if you reach you always run the risk of picking up soft fouls. Maybe he needs to put more time into his defence this off-season.

No one else in the history of the game however has done anything as vain as "The Decision". Having teams come and present their case to him and then to find out if he was joining them or not on tv....completely disrespecting the team he was with, the players, staff, owners, fans etc. AND every other team in that process.

How much of a tool do you have to be to think of something like that? And then after thinking about it and discussing it with supposedly smart people and then actually do it? And then coming up with the "taking my talents to South Beach" line.

And then this AFTER all the negative press of the above:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e9BqUBYaHlM
    "Not 5, not 6, not 7......" In fairness he got that right, it was 2.

So if you wonder why the hate and why the scrutiny, just look at that episode in his life.

radharc wrote: »
    I agree the forum has been laughably negative about LeBron. Cleveland pull back from 3-1 to level it up (the first team in 50 years to achieve this) on the back of superhuman performances from LBL; this series has without a doubt cemented his place as one of the all time greatest.

He's had 2 good games. Where was he in the other games? One of the all time greatest in the back of 2 good games? Come on now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

He's had 2 good games. Where was he in the other games? One of the all time greatest in the back of 2 good games? Come on now.

His finals line is 30.2 points, 11.3 rebounds, 8.5 assists, 2.7 steals, 2.2 blocks, 2.0 3PM, 51-40-70. That's pretty damn impressive.

He is winning finals mvp regardless of the game 7 result imo barring Klay or Steph going for 55 or 60 points in that game.

His finals line is 30.2 points, 11.3 rebounds, 8.5 assists, 2.7 steals, 2.2 blocks, 2.0 3PM, 51-40-70. That's pretty damn impressive.

He is winning finals mvp regardless of the game 7 result imo barring Klay or Steph going for 55 or 60 points in that game.

Mal it's not all about stats and you know that.

For example Curry had 30 in 34 mins the other night. Did he gave a good game? No.

LeJon out up better stats (from memory) last year but he was ball hogging and that's a huge reason why they lost.

He's also playing huge minutes every game to accumulate those stats.

He was Very good in games 5 and 6 but anonymous in games 1,2 and 4 and he's generally behaved like a dick throughout the finals.

He'll get MVP if they win, not if they won't.

Mal it's not all about stats and you know that.

For example Curry had 30 in 34 mins the other night. Did he gave a good game? No.

LeJon out up better stats (from memory) last year but he was ball hogging and that's a huge reason why they lost.

He's also playing huge minutes every game to accumulate those stats.

He was Very good in games 5 and 6 but anonymous in games 1,2 and 4 and he's generally behaved like a dick throughout the finals.

He'll get MVP if they win, not if they won't.

I dont really like LBJ, crap attitude, but who on GSW who really has deserved MVP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

He was there only hope of winning at all last year(which was a small hope at best) had he been sharing the play out to his inferior teamates I reckon they would have got swept. You cant criticise the man for trying.

I dont really like LBJ, crap attitude, but who on GSW who really has deserved MVP

There's been no standout. It'll take a Magic as a rookie performance for someone to claim it. Or maybe Iggy if he shuts down LeJon.

• Advertisement

Gregk961 wrote: »
    He was there only hope of winning at all last year(which was a small hope at best) had he been sharing the play out to his inferior teamates I reckon they would have got swept. You cant criticise the man for trying.

I'm not blaming him for trying. I'm blaming the way he tried. Big difference. I've commented on this many times. Tactically he played right into their hands last year playing as he did. He should have been smarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Haven't been really able to follow the last few games properly, been stumbling through France for a week.
    Will be one of the biggest disappointments ever if the Warriors lose this, they seem to be really struggling, got to give credit to LeBron though, he is a beast

There's been no standout. It'll take a Magic as a rookie performance for someone to claim it. Or maybe Iggy if he shuts down LeJon.

Thats why I think he wins it tbh, which I wont begrudge him, the same I wont begrudge him bringing a title to Cleveland I kinda want him to, Id just rather he didnt do it this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

@Butterski I have absolutely no issue with hating leBron over hid antics building up to his move to Miami, I do think he has matured alot since then. Always trying to say the right thing to the media etc.

With regards a Final's MVP has anyone on a losing team ever got MVP? I can't remember if it has happened. No matter how well LeBron plays in Game 7, if Cleveland lose he will not pick up the MVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

With regards a Final's MVP has anyone on a losing team ever got MVP? I can't remember if it has happened. No matter how well LeBron plays in Game 7, if Cleveland lose he will not pick up the MVP.

It happened once before Jerry West, LAL 1969 but nothing in recent memory. It will be a token gesture to a gsw player if they do indeed win.

@Butterski I have absolutely no issue with hating leBron over hid antics building up to his move to Miami, I do think he has matured alot since then. Always trying to say the right thing to the media etc.

Jerry West won it on a losing Lakers team. 7 gamer v Boston IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Surely you can't really give most valuable player to a player on a losing team in a series in any sport for the simple reason that if the team loses then the players value is non existent because the team lost.The result with or without his efforts would be the same and therefore their performance was essentially pointless.

Surely you can't really give most valuable player to a player on a losing team in a series in any sport for the simple reason that if the team loses then the players value is non existent because the team lost.The result with or without his efforts would be the same and therefore their performance was essentially pointless.

He may actually get it this year if they lose. You know, as a consolation prize....in case he starts to cry...

He may actually get it this year if they lose. You know, as a consolation prize....in case he starts to cry...

Oh ffs you're criticising him in advance for winning a prize he hasn't won. I wish American sports didn't call it Most Valuable Player, it creates these weird semantic arguments about what value means. Clearly it's the same award man of the match, so, the best player out there, but this monetary sounding definition of value just muddies it. It's weird.

• Advertisement

Oh ffs you're criticising him in advance for winning a prize he hasn't won. I wish American sports didn't call it Most Valuable Player, it creates these weird semantic arguments about what value means. Clearly it's the same award man of the match, so, the best player out there, but this monetary sounding definition of value just muddies it. It's weird.

Ah......please read my post again, esp. the use of the word "may".

It was also intended as a humorous comment, with a "funny because it's true" endline.

Re. your own post, 'cos 'Merica.

More seriously though value doesn't have to mean monetary.

Advertisement