Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Nauseating the Lebron worship. You'd swear he did by himself! Americans are crazy for that **** though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Fair play to Green for going over to congratulate James, at least it shows behind all the macho bollox they have respect for each other.

Some story, it's almost like a movie script.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

They really are selling the Le Bron love a little thick

Fair play to him, and Im happy for Cleveland

But there is a lot of people over looking Irving taking the winning shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I was watching the Cav's defence tonight and was screaming at Love for not helping on D.
    Then he comes up with the defensive play where Curry could not shake him, I hope he gets recognition for that.
    I think he is not an ideal fit for the Cavs, and may well be playing elsewhere next season BUT now he has his ring and no-one can take that from him.
    Irving was great the last 3 games and really stepped up and showed a level of maturity and ability to lead that I really didn't think he had in him.
    So the big question now is ...... Where is The King taking his talents next???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Ready to burn all my warriors gear and never watch basketball again. What a let down to such a great season but life goes on. Fair play to Cleveland, they deserved it, it's an amazing story, I know a lot of crap is going to be said about Curry, Thompson etc but they had great seasons but just fell short, that's sports, no one died. They should be proud as should be every warrior fan, let's go for it again next season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It's a funny one that teams that are built up as unbeatable nearly always get caught out, after a record breaking season the Warriors have nothing to show for it.

I know I'm one of the few people on here who doesn't have an intense hatred for LeBron, but after his incredible effort the last few games even those who dislike him would nearly feel bad for him if he was on the losing team tonight.

I know people will say Irving deserves more credit for getting the winner, but that amazing block set it up for him and also the free throw with a bad hand to seal the deal.

Wouldn't mind if we get round 3 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Ready to burn all my warriors gear and never watch basketball again. What a let down to such a great season but life goes on. Fair play to Cleveland, they deserved it, it's an amazing story, I know a lot of crap is going to be said about Curry, Thompson etc but they had great seasons but just fell short, that's sports, no one died. They should be proud as should be every warrior fan, let's go for it again next season.
    Do you think that the regular season ended up being part of the undoing of the Splash Brothers? (Maybe Iggy too)
    I ask because it's been reported that Curry may need shoulder surgery.
    Is that down to not getting rested enough in the regular season?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

killwill wrote: »
    Do you think that the regular season ended up being part of the undoing of the Splash Brothers? (Maybe Iggy too)
    I ask because it's been reported that Curry may need shoulder surgery.
    Is that down to not getting rested enough in the regular season?
    I am not really sure if there has been an undoing as such, at the end of the day, the whole season came down to a few seconds, a block and a shot. Granted they shouldn't of given up a 3-1 lead but Cavs need to be given credit.
    I think having the pressure of having best ever record did but an incredible amount of pressure on them, just were expected to win, with valid reason but LeBron is still the most dominant player in basketball plus Irving had a great season.
    Haven't heard anything about Curry injury, he got tons of rest during reg season, Sat out a lot of 4th quarters. I hope people don't start over analyzing it, someone has to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Congrats Cleveland fans, especially D2D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Can't sleep, can't really believe it tbh. Man, NBA CHAMPIONS!!!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mjavi

One epic Game 7. Kyrie's three. Lebron's free throw (after a baaaad fall). KLove not flinching to Steph's shake n' bake. Classy Steph & Draymond congratulating Lebron & company.

Was disappointed for the Dubs. 73-9 + Ring would make the 72-10 Bulls nostalgia fans shut up (now they are ALL OVER my fb feed).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

9jxrB8Wl.png
    M0zAAQql.jpg

I'm still in shock...

Also, anyone salty about the love LeBron is getting, his stats for this Finals:
    • 29.7 PPG (1st)
    • 49% FG (1st)
    • 11.3 RPG (1st)
    • 8.9 APG (1st)
    • 2.6 SPG (1st)
    • 2.3 BPG (1st)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm over the moon, never thought I'd see the Cavs with the Championship. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LeBron turned in one of the greatest individual sporting performances of all time the last 17 days. Truly unbelievable. Lead both teams in points, assists, rebounds, steals and blocks. What else can you say? Irving was brilliant too, and even Kevin Love turned in a gritty performance last night dominating the boards and playing some great defensive sets. To lead his team to be the first ever to come back from a 3 - 1 deficit in the Finals (after a previous 32 teams failed from that scenario) while being the Finals MVP cements his legacy. It shouldn't have been required of course given the incredible dominance displayed throughout his career to date, but all doubting the man goes away now.

At 31 Jordan had three rings and three MVP awards
    At 31 LeBron has three rings and four MVP awards

Interesting to see what Cleveland do before next season now. I think they should keep Love because you shouldn't assess his value solely on the basis of a Finals performance that is a terrible matchup for him personally. He was a great number three all the way up to Golden State. JR Smith will probably go, and there may be some churn among the role players. The likes of Mozgov for example doesn't look like an NBA level player right now. I think though that there is no reason for them not to repeat in the East for the third straight time.

Golden State got exposed in a Finals against a team that played aggressive defense and were able to force Curry into negative matchups via the pick and roll and expose him as a weak defensive liability. Bogut going down was a huge loss also and Cleveland profited against the 'death' lineup through a tremendous size advantage. A jump shot is a jump shot - you'll die by it when you go just a little cold as GS did in the last two games. The aura of invincibility is gone. They are beatable and every team in the league will know it next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The American tradition of handing the trophy over the the owner of the team is seriously embarassing.

In what should have been an unbelievable release of emotion becomes a damp squib because the trophy is handed over to some fella in a suit who signed a few cheques. It's be like handing Sam Maguire or Liam McCarthy over to the county board chairman at the end of the year.

Why the hell do the players tolerate it and why the hell do the owners not have a small bit of humility and realize it isn't about them and let one of the players lift the trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The American tradition of handing the trophy over the the owner of the team is seriously embarassing.

In what should have been an unbelievable release of emotion becomes a damp squib because the trophy is handed over to some fella in a suit who signed a few cheques. It's be like handing Sam Maguire or Liam McCarthy over to the county board chairman at the end of the year.

Why the hell do the players tolerate it and why the hell do the owners not have a small bit of humility and realize it isn't about them and let one of the players lift the trophy.

I've always found that weird. Marc Cuban let the then 78 founder of the Mavs accept it in 2011, which was a nice touch but yeah, it should be the players.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I have been a big Lebron fan since his Miami Heat days, absolutely delighted for and the Cavs.
    I thought they were buried when down 3-1 on the finals.

Great champions, and what a decider.

:rolleyes:

That was tough to swallow.

So, here's my take.......I know the LeJon fanboys are waiting for me to eat my words.

He played very well. No question. He deserves his Finals MVP.

However, in the same way as I said OKC choked when they were 3-1 up, I have to apply the same criteria here and say GS choked. They did. No question that was partly to blame.

Also Bogut out 2 games and Draymond 1 hurt them.

And the refs - I'm sorry, but they were a factor.

But congrats Cleveland.

On a side note, I wonder what odds you'd have gotten if in March last year you placed a bet that JR Smith and Shumpert would have rings within 18 months.......:pac:

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

At 31 Jordan had three rings and three MVP awards
    At 31 LeBron has three rings and four MVP awards

At 31 Jordan had played 9 years in the league, had 3 rings and never lost in the Finals.
    At 31 LeJon had played 13 years in the league, had 3 rings and lost in 4 Finals.

You're really not comparing like with like. No-one left college early in MJ's days.

Are you actually trying to say he's a better player or ahead of Jordan at this stage of his career?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I'm still in shock...

Also, anyone salty about the love Lebron is getting, his stats for this Finals:
    • 29.7 PPG (1st)
    • 49% FG (1st)
    • 11.3 RPG (1st)
    • 8.9 APG (1st)
    • 2.6 SPG (1st)
    • 2.3 BPG (1st)

He's still a tool though.

• Advertisement

killwill wrote: »
    I was watching the Cav's defence tonight and was screaming at Love for not helping on D.
    Then he comes up with the defensive play where Curry could not shake him, I hope he gets recognition for that.
    I think he is not an ideal fit for the Cavs, and may well be playing elsewhere next season BUT now he has his ring and no-one can take that from him.
    Irving was great the last 3 games and really stepped up and showed a level of maturity and ability to lead that I really didn't think he had in him.
    So the big question now is ...... Where is The King taking his talents next???

He'll stay. He can't leave, but they'll be falling at their knees for him even more now than they already do. He's likely to become an even bigger douchebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hey ButtersSuki,

Please learn to spell the name of the King.

maxresdefault.jpg

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Hey ButtersSuki,

Please learn to spell the name of the King.

maxresdefault.jpg

Is that you Stephen A. Smith?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Guys, chill it

People are over looking the difficulty each team had in the play offs, GSW played two games more and were involved in a far more series each round than Cavs. Really hope a super team emerges in the east as I think the west has 3 better teams than the Cavs

At 31 Jordan had played 9 years in the league, had 3 rings and never lost in the Finals.
    At 31 LeJon had played 13 years in the league, had 3 rings and lost in 4 Finals.

You're really not comparing like with like. No-one left college early in MJ's days.

Are you actually trying to say he's a better player or ahead of Jordan at this stage of his career?

Absolutely I am.

The one genuine blemish on LeBron's career is the 2011 finals where he underperformed as part of a team good enough to win. His other finals losses have involved one loss against an exceptional San Antonio team; and two losses with a dreadful roster as a young player and last year's Cavs with options #2 and #3 injured. Actually, to win two games last year was an achievement.

Jordan's 6 - 0 record is amazing, but I don't for one second buy the argument that losing final series is a negative considering how weak Cleveland have been in the past when he dragged them there. You have to look at the Bulls record the year Jordan retired the first time or the year after he retired for good and compare them to the Cavs and Heat post LeBron to understand the disparity in what they were respectively working with.

Absolutely I am.

The one genuine blemish on LeBron's career is the 2011 finals where he underperformed as part of a team good enough to win. His other finals losses have involved one loss against an exceptional San Antonio team; and two losses with a dreadful roster as a young player and last year's Cavs with options #2 and #3 injured. Actually, to win two games last year was an achievement.

Jordan's 6 - 0 record is amazing, but I don't for one second buy the argument that losing final series is a negative considering how weak Cleveland have been in the past when he dragged them there. You have to look at the Bulls record the year Jordan retired the first time or the year after he retired for good and compare them to the Cavs and Heat post LeBron to understand the disparity in what they were respectively working with.

So you're saying he's better than Jordan? I'm asking again to clarify.

His career to this point is superior to Jordan's, yes.

So you're saying he's better than Jordan? I'm asking again to clarify.

Never mind that

Id like to know what hes been drinking this early in the day

• Advertisement

His career to this point is superior to Jordan's, yes.

Ok. You win. I have no answer to that.

Smh.

Advertisement