Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As for how he is reffed, I think he suffers a tremendous amount of contact when driving to the rim and gets far less calls than he should.

I didn't think it could get any worse, but it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I didn't think it could get any worse, but I has.

You're not addressing any points. You seen to have a view on LeBron that is concrete in your head and don't like it being challenged.

You're not addressing any points. You seen to have a view on LeBron that is concrete in your head and don't like it being challenged.

You're avoiding all the points I've made.

So in your opinion:
    Does he get away with travelling?
    Does he flop?
    Does he illegally use his right arm, shoulder and forearm when he drives to the left? Does he get called for this?
    Does he get cheap fouls at both ends of the floor?

I love how you ignore the fact I said he played very well. Is that not appreciating what he did?

My problems with LeJon are not his "talents" (to use his own words); rather other aspects of his personality and some of THE DECISIONs he's made on and off the court. Nicknames are usually given for example - but not in his case. He christened himself! And of course he went for a modest nickname.....

Things I don't like:
    The travelling. The fouling (offensive and defensive - the Ives he gets gifted and the ones he gets away with). The flopping. The moaning. The lack of sportsmanship. The ego. Etc. Etc. And of course THE DECISION.

Can he play? Yes. Is he a douchebag? Yes.

There are lifelong Cleveland fans who still (yes, still) hate him for what he did to that franchise.

If he had stayed rather than go to Miami and this was title no. 1, his "legacy" (as he's also find of saying) would actually be better long term than his 3 titles in total now with 2 different teams. And if argue it would have been commercially more valuable to him as the story would have been much better than spoilt cry baby runs off to Superfriends to win rings in another city - not 5, not 6, not 7 btw. But he just doesn't get it.

You ignored all of the above btw.

Challenge away, but he prepared to be challenged on your infatuation with him yourself.

Seeing as you have repeatedly missed it, he played really well. But IMO he's still a douchebag. He's D12 lite in trying so hard to be liked.

• Advertisement

You're avoiding all the points I've made.

So in your opinion:
    Does he get away with travelling?
    Does he flop?
    Does he illegally use his right arm, shoulder and forearm when he drives to the left? Does he get called for this?
    Does he get cheap fouls at both ends of the floor?

ALL players across the league get away with travelling on a consistent basis when driving to the rim. An extra step has almost become an unofficial rule. To target LeBron on this specifically is crazy.

Does he flop? Occasionally. Is he anywhere near the same league as serial floppers like Varejao? Not a chance. Again - not seeing how this is something you would pin solely on LeBron.

As I said, I think he suffers a huge amount of contact when driving to the rim that tends to be uncalled. And that's fine. If he's getting uncalled contact, he's probably guilty of some uncalled contact too.

The NBA has a general problem with protecting 'star' players and them being treated kindly by officials over and above the average. Steve Kerr even based his complaining about game 6 on the basis that Curry is MVP and wasn't afforded respect on that basis. Again, targeting LeBron specifically on this is crazy.
    Challenge away, but he prepared to be challenged on your infatuation with him yourself.

Seeing as you have repeatedly missed it, he played really well. But IMO he's still a douchebag. He's D12 lite in trying so hard to be liked.

None of the examples you have offered speak to his personal qualities. On what basis is he a 'douchebag'? Yes the Decision stuff was a gratuitous excess. It was also six year's ago. What else is he doing that offends you so on a personal level?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I can say likewise.

Any fan of basketball should be able to appreciate LeBron's performance the last three games. It was an absolute privilege to watch the best player in the game go to work like that.

I didn't know there was an active basketball community on boards before yesterday tbh.

Neither did I until a month or two ago.

I won't be posting on it any longer as it seems to be mainly populated by puritans who complain about betting odds, and one in particular anal retentive whose main pleasure appears to be nit picking and attempting to prove that he knows more about everything than everyone else.

Ah yes, reminds me of when I was nine in the school yard arguing over whether Beardsley was a world class player :)

Good luck .....

(There are lots of good basketball sites where adults can debate, and other good sports sites on boards.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

I can say likewise.

Any fan of basketball should be able to appreciate LeBron's performance the last three games. It was an absolute privilege to watch the best player in the game go to work like that.

I didn't know there was an active basketball community on boards before yesterday tbh.

Only found it recently as well

Although Id be in the not liking LBJ side of the field

Not his talents cause you cant argue that

His attitude stinks and the favourtism he gets is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The salt by some people in this thread, just take the L.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Neither did I until a month or two ago.

I won't be posting on it any longer as it seems to be mainly populated by puritans (1) who complain about betting odds, (2) and one in particular anal retentive whose main pleasure appears to be nit picking and attempting to prove that he knows more about everything than everyone else.

Ah yes, reminds me of when I was nine in the school yard arguing over whether Beardsley was a world class player :)

Good luck .....

(There are lots of good basketball sites where adults can debate, and other good sports sites on boards.)

You were the one who brought betting into the thread - which I have no problem with btw. The problem was the way you did it, constantly boasting (yes, boasting) about how much money you were making. Yes, we were all very impressed.

The second part in bold is clearly aimed at me. Thanks for the laugh :pac: It's funny how it's nit picking when it disagrees with your opinion. :rolleyes: Or should we all just agree with everything you say? I don't mind if people don't agree with what I say or think - not at all; I'm engaging in a debate.

As for not posting any longer, totally your call. I'm sorry you couldn't find the complete agreement with your opinion that you were searching for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I really like the Multiquote feature Boards has.

ALL players across the league get away with travelling on a consistent basis when driving to the rim. An extra step has almost become an unofficial rule. To target LeBron on this specifically is crazy.

Does he flop? Occasionally. Is he anywhere near the same league as serial floppers like Varejao? Not a chance. Again - not seeing how this is something you would pin solely on LeBron.

As I said, I think he suffers a huge amount of contact when driving to the rim that tends to be uncalled. And that's fine. If he's getting uncalled contact, he's probably guilty of some uncalled contact too.

The NBA has a general problem with protecting 'star' players and them being treated kindly by officials over and above the average. Steve Kerr even based his complaining about game 6 on the basis that Curry is MVP and wasn't afforded respect on that basis. Again, targeting LeBron specifically on this is crazy.

None of the examples you have offered speak to his personal qualities. On what basis is he a 'douchebag'? Yes the Decision stuff was a gratuitous excess. It was also six year's ago. What else is he doing that offends you so on a personal level?

Example 1 in bold above. And no, just because he came back does not totally erase the pomposity of that exercise.

Example 2. Choosing your own nickname.

Example 3. Choosing such a modest one.

Example 4. Flopping. Conveniently ignored by you.

Example 5. Moaning.

Example 6. Bad sportsmanship. Multiple examples of him refusing to shake players hands after elimination games. And I know you think it's funny but the T short he wore yesterday is another example of this.

Example 7. Behaving like a child. Multiple examples of this.

I could go on......but I'll be accused of having a vendetta again. :rolleyes:

Re. clutch and Game 7 comments yesterday. What about his Game 6 performance when Allen hit the 3 to tie? That was an elimination game. He bricked not 1 but 2 3's in the last minute of that game. The second was described by Magic Johnson as the worst shot selection he had ever seen with the game on the line at any level. Think about that. He had an AWFUL game that day. Without Allen hitting that 3, there would be no Game 7.

He's done this a few times in his career btw. Clutch is not JUST about Game 7's. Surely ALL elimination games are clutch, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jesus life is a bit short for this to be honest. Good luck to ye. Enjoy whinging about a multi millionaire.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Guys, betting talk is our fault (mods). We will open a betting thread near the start of the next season where we can have betting talk.
    Please keep all criticism to the content of someones post rather than the poster themselves. You can provide decent rebuttal without labelling anyone as crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Aw, tiddums! :(

It's....a....joke...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X3ytF7xoL-I

It's not a joke. It's being petty every single time it is used in your posts as you don't him. There's just no need for it but you do it due to your hate of one of the best of all time.

Anyways,

Fair play to the Cavs, astonishing performances by the Big Three (even Love gets love for Game 7) to turn around the 3-1 win. Fair play to Lebron, delighted he finally got Cleveland a major championship. Not sure where he goes from here though!

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's not a joke. It's being petty every single time it is used in your posts as you don't him. There's just no need for it but you do it due to your hate of one of the best of all time.

So you can read my mind and my intent now? That's truly amazing. I'm sorry I find something funny that you don't. I thought humour was subjective, perhaps I was wrong? "Wrong like LeJon" - it even rhymes! :D

And to clarify - again - I never said he wasn't great or one of the best of all time. I did say he isn't THE best of all time (unlike some posters) - but apparently I'm not allowed say that either without causing grave offence to some people. It's my opinion, but also one shared by many/most basketball fans globally. I do think the love has gone way overboard in the last few days btw. He hasn't cured cancer.

Whilst I mainly dislike him for non-basketball reasons, I also dislike him for some basketball reasons, which I have outlined.

I do find it funny that on this thread I'm not the only one who has expressed a dislike for him, his ego or his game yet I seem to channel all of the rage from the LeJon Brames Fan Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

SantryRed wrote: »

Anyways,

Fair play to the Cavs, astonishing performances by the Big Three (even Love gets love for Game 7) to turn around the 3-1 win. Fair play to Lebron, delighted he finally got Cleveland a major championship. Not sure where he goes from here though!

Ignore him, he is just salty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I was wrong about this series. And if you look at the series after game 2 the Cavs controlled it.

Tim Legler made a great point after the game. Both teams were playing switching defense. But when the Warriors switched the Cavs had mismatches - Curry on Irving, Curry on Lebron, center on Lebron. but when the Cavs switched the Warriors did not get a mismatch - or at least the Warriors except in game 4 never could take advantage of it bigs switching onto Curry and Klay.

I need to go back to my theory that almost always with very rare exceptions the best player wins the series. As it turns out the Cavs had the two best players.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I was wrong about this series. And if you look at the series after game 2 the Cavs controlled it.

Tim Legler made a great point after the game. Both teams were playing switching defense. But when the Warriors switched the Cavs had mismatches - Curry on Irving, Curry on Lebron, center on Lebron. but when the Cavs switched the Warriors did not get a mismatch - or at least the Warriors except in game 4 never could take advantage of it bigs switching onto Curry and Klay.

I need to go back to my theory that almost always with very rare exceptions the best player wins the series. As it turns out the Cavs had the two best players.

On that, Legler is a really good analyst. Used to watch him a lot on one of the non game shows on ESPN America when that was free to air a few years ago. Just a really smart and articulate guy.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2016/06/basketballs-greatest-player?fsrc=scn%2Ffb%2Fte%2Fbl%2Fed%2Fbasketballsgreatestplayerwaityourturnstephlebronjamesprovesheisstilltheking

A long but incredibly eloquent piece that offers an excellent summation of this finals and season and assesses LeBron's current standing and legacy before reaching an obvious conclusion. A rewarding read.

• Advertisement

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2016/06/basketballs-greatest-player?fsrc=scn%2Ffb%2Fte%2Fbl%2Fed%2Fbasketballsgreatestplayerwaityourturnstephlebronjamesprovesheisstilltheking

A long but incredibly eloquent piece that offers an excellent summation of this finals and season and assesses LeBron's current standing and legacy before reaching an obvious conclusion. A rewarding read.

Yup. It's a great example of confirmation bias alright.

For the record, I do think LeJon was the best player on the court in the Finals and deserved his MVP.

I also do think Curry had a better regular season, and likewise deserved his MVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

After reading the past few pages, I am convinced that you are chip bayless.

You're thinking Stephen A. Smith. At least I assume you're directing that at the latter part of the quoted text?

Skip Bayless actually hates LeJon!

Yea, whichever one I guess, they are both trolls and love to pop up with exuberant opinions as if they are facts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

For the record, I do think LeJon was the best player on the court in the Finals and deserved his MVP.

I also do think Curry had a better regular season, and likewise deserved his MVP.

My favourite part of following basketball

Is the day after the finals two or three lads had posted all these pictures of LBJ all over there facebook feed

Talking about how how hes the greatest

I said they were the James Jones of fans, just following "The King" they didnt know who he was :(

My joke was ruined and then I felt a little sad that they were posting about basketball when they obviously hadnt a clue

Yea, whichever one I guess, they are both trolls and love to pop up with exuberant opinions as if they are facts.

I honestly haven't been trolling. I have repeatedly said he (James) played very well. I said he deserved his Finals MVP.

Just because I have criticised certain elements of his character and of his game does not make me a troll. I have backed all of the opinions I've given with examples, yet I've been called various names by certain posters because for example I don't agree with the highly contentious (at best) assertion that Michael Jordan is an inferior player to James.

I'm not sure how my opinions are deemed "exuberent" as you call them. Can you give me some examples and I'll happily clarify.

I honestly haven't been trolling. I have repeatedly said he (James) played very well. I said he deserved his Finals MVP.

Just because I have criticised certain elements of his character and of his game does not make me a troll. I have backed all of the opinions I've given with examples, yet I've been called various names by certain posters because for example I don't agree with the highly contentious (at best) assertion that Michael Jordan is an inferior player to James.

I'm not sure how my opinions are deemed "exuberent" as you call them. Can you give me some examples and I'll happily clarify.
    I wasn't on about you, I was actually defending you :)

I wasn't on about you, I was actually defending you :) Its the other guy that just pops in to stir up crap, typically its good discussion in here but the trolls pop in after they see the big headlines on espn and sky sports

I wasn't on about you, I was actually defending you :) Its the other guy that just pops in to stir up crap, typically its good discussion in here but the trolls pop in after they see the big headlines on espn and sky sports

Sorry! Wasn't 100% sure after the original multi quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

So Derick Rose is off to New York.
    silly season has started.

• Advertisement

killwill wrote: »
    So Derick Rose is off to New York.
    silly season has started.

Didn't see that one coming, though it was obvious Chicago wanted rid of him. Feel sorry for Rose, he'll never be the guy he once was due to the injuries. Hard to believe it's 5 years since he was the youngest ever MVP.

Advertisement