Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puppy coughing

• 16-04-2016 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭

My 5 month old pup has started coughing the last few days its like he is trying to clear his throat but just cant do it,he's not in any pain or discomfort still full of beans and is eating drinking with no problems he has all his vaccinations and also the kennel cough vac ,i thought at first maybe he had a cold because his nose sounded like it was blocked but thats fine now,im a bit worried and ill bring him to the vet on Monday if it isnt better,has anyone here experienced this in their dog before any idea what might be causing it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is he trying to cough up phlegm/mucus or coughing like maybe something is caught in his throat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

tk123 wrote: »
    Is he trying to cough up phlegm/mucus or coughing like maybe something is caught in his throat?

Yeah its like he is trying to cough up phlegm i dont think theres anything stuck in his throat i tried to look but its impossible to keep him still

Yeah its like he is trying to cough up phlegm i dont think theres anything stuck in his throat i tried to look but its impossible to keep him still

He might have kennel cough - they can get it even with the vaccination. :( You can try mixing some Manuka honey in his water to soothe it until you can get to the vet. Double check with your vets too in case they have a Sunday clinic - I wouldn't leave a puppy days like that but that's just me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Our pup was about the same age .Symptoms were the same and it turned out it was the kennel cough.An older dog can get rid of it but you need to bring a young dog to the vet as it can have lasting effects.

tk123 wrote: »
    He might have kennel cough - they can get it even with the vaccination. :( You can try mixing some Manuka honey in his water to soothe it until you can get to the vet. Double check with your vets too in case they have a Sunday clinic - I wouldn't leave a puppy days like that but that's just me!

OP could do without the last comment ,sure op is worried enough without you trying to stir it up.

• Advertisement

Thanks yeah i suspect it is kennel cough even though he has the vaccination :(

Im very worried about him but as i said he's not in any pain or discomfort and since he got it he's been sleeping on my bedroom floor and last night he only coughed once,my vet has a 24hr emergency number but i dont think its necessary today ill bring him in first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

codie wrote: »
    OP could do without the last comment ,sure op is worried enough without you trying to stir it up.

They aren't stirring it up. Kennel cough can develop into something a bit more serious, if left untreated, particularly in puppies and older dogs, so if they suspect kennel cough then they should really see a vet soon.

Also, just make sure you let the vet's know it could be kennel cough as they won't want your dog in the waiting room around other dogs as it is highly contagious.

This thread did make me more worried so i rang my vets 24hr number and they will see him today at 1pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Kennel cough is quite contagious so I'm glad you are getting him looked at so soon.

Puppies can go downlhill FAST so you can never be too cautious - playing it safe saved my dogs life so that's what I'll always recommend.

• Advertisement

It was kennel cough the vet said it was a strain that affected his throat more than his nasal and even with the vaccine its possible to catch it,he gave him 2 injections an anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic plus tablets for him to take during the week,i had him in doggie daycare more than likely thats where he caught it so have to keep him at home now until it clears up,thanks to everyone for the advice its better to be safe than sorry.

Here he is before going into the vet not a bother on him :)

DSC_1296.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Those ears are something else :)

andreac wrote: »
    They aren't stirring it up. Kennel cough can develop into something a bit more serious, if left untreated, particularly in puppies and older dogs, so if they suspect kennel cough then they should really see a vet soon.

Also, just make sure you let the vet's know it could be kennel cough as they won't want your dog in the waiting room around other dogs as it is highly contagious.

If left untreated ya can be serious but Op said they were going to the vet first thing Monday.The dog is in great form he is hardly going to kick the bucket in 24 hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

It was kennel cough the vet said it was a strain that affected his throat more than his nasal and even with the vaccine its possible to catch it,he gave him 2 injections an anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic plus tablets for him to take during the week,i had him in doggie daycare more than likely thats where he caught it so have to keep him at home now until it clears up,thanks to everyone for the advice its better to be safe than sorry.

Here he is before going into the vet not a bother on him :)

DSC_1296.jpg

He is beautiful.. glad that you got him sorted :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Dude- my friend has your dog's mini doppleganger. The resemblance is uncanny. What kind of cross is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Glad you sorted it but I just wanted to say that my pup was also vaccinated also got kennel cough at a similar age to your puppy. Would make you wonder how thorough the vaccination actually is seeing as it's so common still!

If left untreated ya can be serious but Op said they were going to the vet first thing Monday.The dog is in great form he is hardly going to kick the bucket in 24 hrs

I never said he was. I posted after your comment about not panicking, and i said you should be very cautious with kennel cough in puppies and older dogs as it can develop in to something serious if left untreated.

Seriously, if you have a problem with my post just report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Glad you sorted it but I just wanted to say that my pup was also vaccinated also got kennel cough at a similar age to your puppy. Would make you wonder how thorough the vaccination actually is seeing as it's so common still!

'Kennel cough' is kind of a generic name covering diseases caused by a number of different microorganisms- sometimes one of them, sometimes different viruses and bacteria can infect the same dog at the same time.

The vaccine protects against bordetella- the 5 in 1 also protects against parainfluenza virus, these cover most cases of kennel cough. But if your dog gets one of the other common causes of 'kennel cough' (like coronavirus, say) the vaccine won't protect it, like a 'flu shot won't stop you getting a cold or the measles.

It also doesn't have the longest duration, as far as I can remember. If I can dig out a source on that I will link it back in this post in an edit.

Latatian wrote: »
    Dude- my friend has your dog's mini doppleganger. The resemblance is uncanny. What kind of cross is he?

Im not sure to be honest,i think there is a German Shepard for sure and a mixture of lurcher/Greyhound/Boxer/Staff or another breed,i will get his DNA tested soon just out of curiosity,but he has all the traits of a Shepard.

Did your friend get his dog from Waterford pound?,thats where i got my fella he along with his brother and two sisters were dumped on the side of the road at 8 weeks old.

Here he is a day after we got him at 8 weeks old and weighting just under 2kg :)

<snip>

And here is now 3 months later weighing just over 15kg :D

Mod note... Photos removed at OP's request

What a beautiful dog. Love the unusual colour and the ears are class!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

He's stunning.
    I love brindle dogs - not very usual outside greyhounds...and Staff/bull types?
    Hes a very happy/confident looking dog - nice temprement?

I always had my dogs vaccinated for Kennel Cough as part of their annual vaccinations, one of my dogs got kennel cough twice. He wasnt a puppy or old at the time, and it didnt really take too much out of him. Apart from keeping him away from other dogs, we just got on with it, giving him honey and a childs cough mixture if the cough was particularly bad. Our other dogs DIDNT get kennel cough from him, which was odd... The vet did explain that its like 'flu injections - sometimes the vaccination doesnt target the particular strain of kennel cough thats going around.

Glad you got him sorted OP - a friends puppy - not as big/strong as your boy, developed all sorts of complications when he was very unwell with kennel cough, better safe than sorry with a puppy

aonb wrote: »
    He's stunning.
    I love brindle dogs - not very usual outside greyhounds...and Staff/bull types?
    Hes a very happy/confident looking dog - nice temprement?

He's a really happy dog with a great temperament loves to meet people and loves playing with other dogs,yeah you really only see brindle lurcher/greyhounds but ive seen boxers too so him with the white chest makes me think he's a Shepard/brindle boxer mix but i could be completely wrong,ill be getting his DNA tested soon anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

seem to remember a tread on here last week/very recently discussing the usefulness/not of DNA testing for finding out a dogs breed....

In any case, hes a total beauty - and how great that his personality is so good too - after his rocky start. Good luck to both of you, hes a lucky dog to land on his feet with you

Advertisement