Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels near the Clayton Hotel

Options
  • 16-04-2016 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm meant to be staying with some friends in Galway for a weekend. They are booked into the Clayton Hotel, which is a bit out of my price range. Is there any other hotels that are quite close to this one that I could use as an alternative?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How will you be travelling? Is a BnB acceptable?

Yup, B&B is your best option. There's one or two out the Carnmore Road towards the airport and I think one or two close to the racecourse. Easily within walking distance. No idea of the cost or quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I don't know of any B&Bs between Clayton and Carmore Cross. There would be very little accommodation around there because workers/students have most of it taken up. Your looking at having to get a Taxi. http://www.theconnacht.ie and http://www.flanneryshotelgalway.com would be a short taxi ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

sgthighway wrote: »
    I don't know of any B&Bs between Clayton and Carmore Cross. There would be very little accommodation around there because workers/students have most of it taken up. Your looking at having to get a Taxi. http://www.theconnacht.ie and http://www.flanneryshotelgalway.com would be a short taxi ride.

There's a regular bus service between those two hotels and the Clayton until 11:30pm. http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1457711526-409-April-3rd.pdf

There's also a Travelodge and BnBs on the Tuam Rd. These are closer to the Clayton, but there's no direct bus from them to the Clayton. (Although if the friends are simply staying in the Clayton and you're all partying in town, they would be fine - you might even be better to just choose a hotel in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'm going to a wedding out of town but there is bus picking folk up from that hotel. Was hoping for somewhere nearby that I could walk to/from.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In my links there are places very close

Hmm... the transport to the event only goes to Clayton, Maldron (Headford Rd) and Menlo Park. I'd like to be nearby to this for convenience and to avoid getting taxis.

Are those places on the R336 (Tuam Rd?) between St Brigets place and the R338 walkable? I'm getting in from the event at approx. 0200am. Is it walkable and if not what are the availability of taxis at that time?

Thanks.

Hmm... the transport to the event only goes to Clayton, Maldron (Headford Rd) and Menlo Park. I'd like to be nearby to this for convenience and to avoid getting taxis.

Are those places on the R336 (Tuam Rd?) between St Brigets place and the R338 walkable? I'm getting in from the event at approx. 0200am. Is it walkable and if not what are the availability of taxis at that time?

Translating, that road is called Bohermore. It's a fair walk. I wouldn't be doing it at 2am in a strange city, especially under the influence of wedding refreshments. I'd also be lazy enough not to do it pre-event - but it is do-able if you're determined.

You will easily get a taxi from any of those hotels at 2am - return journey from people who they've dropped off. Menlo or Maldron (previously called Pillo) are closer to those places than the Clayton is.

Thanks.

The event is in Cloonocaunen Castle*. Is there anywhere else that I should be looking for accommodation? If I ordered at taxi just prior to leaving there on a Saturday night would I be waiting long for it?

The Nox is €170 for a night. Looking for something a bit cheaper. I can see a B&B in Forster Court using AirBNB and the Rossa B&B but apart from that nada!

I've checked ClareGalway, but found nothing - unless I'm badly missing something!

If I get a taxi from the bus drop off point, what other hotels or B&B's are open?

* This might be going on until 2:00am so do B&B's have any type of rules on late entry - some of the previous ones I've used were a bit strict!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Thanks.

The event is in Cloonocaunen Castle*. Is there anywhere else that I should be looking for accommodation? If I ordered at taxi just prior to leaving there on a Saturday night would I be waiting long for it?

The Nox is €170 for a night. Looking for something a bit cheaper. I can see a B&B in Forster Court using AirBNB and the Rossa B&B but apart from that nada!

I've checked ClareGalway, but found nothing - unless I'm badly missing something!

If I get a taxi from the bus drop off point, what other hotels or B&B's are open?

* This might be going on until 2:00am so do B&B's have any type of rules on late entry - some of the previous ones I've used were a bit strict!
    Did you try the Clare galway hotel ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Did you try the Clare galway hotel ?

Yip, not much cheaper than the Nox considering I'd need to make my own way there and back. €140 for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Menlo Park hotel. Or you could try their apartments too

billbond4 wrote: »
    Menlo Park hotel. Or you could try their apartments too

Booked out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Thanks.

The B&B below is 10 minutes walk from the Menlo Park hotel. I'm not familiar with the B&B. I just found it on Google. Might be worth giving them a call. They have a website aswell.

Lios Inis B&B
    4 Illaunree Drive
    Coolough Road
    Galway City
    Tel: +353 (0) 91 767753

cocoman wrote: »
    The B&B below is 10 minutes walk from the Menlo Park hotel. I'm not familiar with the B&B. I just found it on Google. Might be worth giving them a call. They have a website aswell.

Lios Inis B&B
    4 Illaunree Drive
    Coolough Road
    Galway City
    Tel: +353 (0) 91 767753

Thanks - booked out :(.

Is Galway always this nuts when it comes to booking accommodation? Although THF, I am trying to be in a certain area, but still.

For the B&B's in the city with no parking, is it difficult to get street parking?

Is Galway always this nuts when it comes to booking accommodation? Although THF, I am trying to be in a certain area, but still.

What weekend are you looking to go?

Last weekend in June - maybe the triathlon is causing me the problems?

Hasn't been in the past. But there are signs that things are particularly crazy this year. Even the Connacht is charging 179 for a Saturday night in April and insisting on a 2-night stay.

Would you look at a hostel? www.hostelworld.com for recommendation. A taxi from the Menlo to a hostel in town would probably be about a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Did u check the arches in Claregalway?

Last weekend in June - maybe the triathlon is causing me the problems?

Once schools finish Galway gets really busy and the triathlon is probably drawing a big crowd aswell.

There's a B&B on the main N17 and it's 15-20 mins walk from Cloonacuneen Castle. Castle View B&B. Tel 091 798810 or 086 8325498 (Mary Quinn).

Booked my hotel on booking.com - got fed up looking at alternatives. Just rechecked Booking.com after midnight and the price had reduced by 30% - €50 :(
    And yes, of course it was non refundable. If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck!

Any way I can change it!?!
    :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Any way I can change it!?!
    :D

In fairness how can anyone know this if they don't have the t&cs of YOUR booking?

Advertisement