Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garmin 520 issues

Options
  • 16-04-2016 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

help needed
    everytime i want to upload my ride i press save on my 520 but it never loads so i have to connect it to laptop and sync the ride manually, does anyone know why this is and what am i doing wrong, thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

You need a Garmin Connect account.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

De Bhál wrote: »
    You need a Garmin Connect account.

thanks but i have one but i seem to be doing something wrong i am not a very tech savvy person and theirin lies my problem i think , i am hopeing someone will give me an easy solution to my problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Is the Garmin connected to your mobile phone with Bluetooth.
    When you turn on the Garmin it'll flash up on the Garmin screen that it's connected to the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

ciaeim wrote: »
    help needed
    everytime i want to upload my ride i press save on my 520 but it never loads so i have to connect it to laptop and sync the ride manually, does anyone know why this is and what am i doing wrong, thank you

I have similar issues, my work around is when the 520 is still powered on I open up the connect app on my phone, as suggested you need to ensure that the phone is connected via bluetooth. not the most elegant solution but better than directly connecting to you PC

blueballfc wrote: »
    I have similar issues, my work around is when the 520 is still powered on I open up the connect app on my phone, as suggested you need to ensure that the phone is connected via bluetooth. not the most elegant solution but better than directly connecting to you PC

the phone shows that it is connected but still doesnt upload, its a right pain in the ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Is "auto upload" switched on?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Z_a_x

Are you logged into The Garmin Connect app on your phone and connected to wifi or mobile data?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

If you are connected to your phone via bluetooth does the Connect app show "syncing"? Or last sync date?

Is your 520 up to date firmware wise? Is Your Garmin Express up to date too?

Open Garmin Express and click on the cog on the top right, then click on "About" on the left menu. It should now tell you your version and there is a "Check for update" button.

Update if needed.

Then connect your 520 to your PC, if there are any updates, install them.

Now reconnect your phone/garmin and see if they Sync? You will also have to have your phone on WiFi or 3G for the connect App to Sync with the Actual Garmin connect in the "Cloud" (I think, I can't see how transferring it onto an App on a phone would get it onto the internet otherwise.)

EDIT Actually does the phone sync with the app "Offline" so to speak? I'm now thinking probably not, and that it and the online versions data are one in the same. So no wifi/3G etc = Sync to App fail.

Hopefully someone smart will come along and educate us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

When the Garmin is connected to your phones Bluetooth, there should be two Bluetooth connections, one for syncing and the other for phone and text alerts so make sure both are connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Another issue can the Garmin site itself, to say it's unreliable would be an understatement. Every few days it's not available, most of yesterday. Usually after there's a software or firmware update and they've realized they've messed up again.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

If you're using an android phone, the version of android might not be fully compatible. My phone doesn't always automatically sync. Sometimes I have to hit the upload ride button a couple of times. It also doesn't do the fancy bluetooth text alert function.
    Latest firmware is installed.

I think the 520 is fully compatible with Android 4.4 and up?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Is "auto upload" switched on?

forgive my stupidity but where is this 'switch' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ciaeim wrote: »
    forgive my stupidity but where is this 'switch' ?

Go to Garmin Connect App on your phone (I use an iphone and a Garmin 810, but I assume its the same on android)

launch the app.
    tap the "More" button
    tap "Garmin Devises"
    tap "Edge520"
    tap "Devise Settings"
    make sure Auto Upload is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Sometimes the syncing doesn't work automatically for me either. If I go into Bluetooth connections on the phone (Android) it will say Paired but not Connected.

If I turn the Garmin off and back on it sorts it straight away.

Thanks guys for input, got it sorted eventually. what i did was disconnected 520 from my phone and then reconnected it and its now working perfectly,no idea why this worked but it did :)

Is there anyone having problems with battery issues?.My unit is only 10 months old and not heavily used but after 3 hours cycling a message appears telling me the battery is low. The only functions running would be Speed cadence, heart rate, distance and a few strava live segments. It is at close to 100% when I begin cycling, garmin do say 12 hrs battery life so it should be well within their battery life expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Is there anyone having problems with battery issues?.My unit is only 10 months old and not heavily used but after 3 hours cycling a message appears telling me the battery is low. The only functions running would be Speed cadence, heart rate, distance and a few strava live segments. It is at close to 100% when I begin cycling, garmin do say 12 hrs battery life so it should be well within their battery life expectation.

Are you using GPS+GLONASS or just GPS? Having both turned on is meant to use more battery though not sure it means going from 12 hrs to 3.

Thanks for that Jon 1981. GPS+GLONASS was on, I adjusted it and I'll see how it goes on my next trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Anyone update to 6.0 yet? any issues? The update notice pops up every time I turn it on and it's annoying me, i'd nearly just update to get rid of it but heard they might be issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

jon1981 wrote: »
    Anyone update to 6.0 yet? any issues? The update notice pops up every time I turn it on and it's annoying me, i'd nearly just update to get rid of it but heard they might be issues?

My 520 froze with the powering on screen until the battery drained after the update.Recharged and switched back on yesterday and it's been fine since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Mine is still on Ver 3.0 and will be leaving it on it until someone says 6.0 is stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

Just got the 520 and have been trying out the live segments. Does anyone know is there a way you can change the settings so you're always chasing your own PB?

I seem to be always 'racing' a friend on Strava who is a good bit faster than me so it takes the fun out of it when you know there's no way you'll win!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

Just got the 520 and have been trying out the live segments. Does anyone know is there a way you can change the settings so you're always chasing your own PB?

I seem to be always 'racing' a friend on Strava who is a good bit faster than me so it takes the fun out of it when you know there's no way you'll win!

thanks

edit: I figured it out - set your PR as your goal...

Advertisement