Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Got a fixed charge notice for my old car

Options
  • 16-04-2016 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I recently got a fixed charge offence notice for speeding. It is from my old car which I sold 3 months ago. Stupidly, I gave the logbook to the new owner thinking he was a genuine garage guy. He only sold the car couple of weeks ago . Car was caught on camera speeding on the 1st April. He put down the change of ownership as the 4th. Is there any way I can appeal this.? Motor tax in Shannon tell me I am liable as it was registered in my name when the offence took place. Appreciate any advice people can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Put person who bought it down as driver and send back.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Complete mess now to sort out. You need to establish who was driving the car at the time of the offence. Do you have the original buyers details could you try contact them and perhaps say you will refer them to Revenue or a similar threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Easog

Yeah, problem is I don't know his name and address. I only have a phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Easog wrote: »

Might be easier to report the car as stolen.

Mod note - Banned for suggesting fraudulent behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Google phone mumber..

You dont have name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

And waste the already stretched garda time? Not to mention the offenses that you would be committing.

Get onto the garage OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I recently got a fixed charge offence notice for speeding. It is from my old car which I sold 3 months ago. Stupidly, I gave the logbook to the new owner thinking he was a genuine garage guy. He only sold the car couple of weeks ago . Car was caught on camera speeding on the 1st April. He put down the change of ownership as the 4th. Is there any way I can appeal this.?
    Yes, if you don't agree with fixed penalty fine, you can refuse to pay it, and case will end up in court.
    In court you'll need to prove it wasn't you driving.
    If you have some alibi, it should be really straight forward.
    Motor tax in Shannon tell me I am liable as it was registered in my name when the offence took place. Appreciate any advice people can give me.
    They told you wrong.
    As a registred owner, you are automatically assumed to be driving the car, unless contrary is shown (f.e. you can show you were not driving it).

You don't need to provide details of the person who was driving.

Complete mess now to sort out. You need to establish who was driving the car at the time of the offence.

He doesn't.
    To get away from paying a fine, all OP needs to do is to prove in court, that he wasn't driving.
    If he can do that, it'll be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

CiniO wrote: »
    You don't need to provide details of the person who was driving.
    He doesn't.
    To get away from paying a fine, all OP needs to do is to prove in court, that he wasn't driving.
    If he can do that, it'll be it.

From the Garda website:-
    I do not know who was driving the vehicle at the time, what can I do?

The legal responsibility for identifying the driver rests with the registered owner. The notice will remain in the name of the registered owner unless the driver is nominated to the Fixed Charge Processing Office (on the notice)

If you don't own the car anymore you must provide proof that you don't own it with details from Shannon or your local motor tax office.

GM228 wrote: »
    From the Garda website:-

If you don't own the car anymore you must provide proof that you don't own it with details from Shannon or your local motor tax office.

That's all correct what you're saying.
    They won't cancel fixed penalty notice, until you nominate a driver, and even more - until that driver accepts responsibility.
    If you can't nominate or nominated person won't accept the fine, they will keep fine in your name and ask you to pay it.

But as I said, what can be done is to refuse to pay it, wait for summons, and prove in court that it wasn't you driving.

Have a look at this:
    (11) Where, in a case to which subsection (2)(b) of this section applies, the registered
    owner of the mechanically propelled vehicle concerned does not furnish in
    accordance with subsection (4) of this section the information specified in
    paragraph (i) of that subsection, then, in a prosecution of that owner for the
    alleged offence to which the notice under the said subsection (2)(b) relates,
    it shall be presumed, until the contrary is shown that he or she was driving
    or otherwise using the vehicle at the time of the commission of the said
    alleged offence.

http://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/RevisedActs/WithAnnotations/EN_ACT_2002_0012.PDF

It should be presumed that he or she was driving, until contrary is shown.

So if OP can prove in court that he couldn't be driving this vehicle, he can not be prosecuted for speeding. It's really as simple as that.
    At that stage it becomes irrelevant who was driving, if person summonsed can prove it wasnt' him/her.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help people. I have tried googling his phone number and nothing comes up. Probably will have to go to court. I don't mind paying the fine as it was a mistake on my part to just hand your man the log book but I am not going to accept penalty points as I have 3 already for being marginally above the limit a year and a half ago. As far as I know, once you hit 6 , insurance premium goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

did you get a receipt from the buyer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Normally the buyer gets the receipt
    It shows how important it is to send off log book
    Op did you ring her man ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

could try ringing the guy and saying you got a reminder for tax renewel or similer and try to get his name or garage name that way?

Or as you said you thought he was a garage, again ring and say you got some work done on your car there a while ago and you want to drop your car in for more work and can i get the address again?

This guy is not co-operating with me at all. I think he is just a cowboy who buys and sells cheap cars.
    So if OP can prove in court that he couldn't be driving this vehicle, he can not be prosecuted for speeding. It's really as simple as that.
    At that stage it becomes irrelevant who was driving, if person summonsed can prove it wasnt' him/her.

It turns out I was in college in Limerick when the offence occurred in Dublin.
    I had signed into lectures so would an attendance record be acceptable to the court?

This guy is not co-operating with me at all. I think he is just a cowboy who buys and sells cheap cars.

It turns out I was in college in Limerick when the offence occurred in Dublin.
    I had signed into lectures so would an attendance record be acceptable to the court?

Well, that's a question to solicitor, not me or other people on the forum.

But if I was to guess, I'd say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, on a side note, you still need to get your name removed from the old car's registration so that you don't get a repeat fixed charge/summons. There is a process for this that includes getting a peace commissioner and Gardai to sign forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't do this, it's fraud. AD banned for suggesting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, on a side note, you still need to get your name removed from the old car's registration so that you don't get a repeat fixed charge/summons. There is a process for this that includes getting a peace commissioner and Gardai to sign forms.
    I recently got a fixed charge offence notice for speeding. It is from my old car which I sold 3 months ago. Stupidly, I gave the logbook to the new owner thinking he was a genuine garage guy. He only sold the car couple of weeks ago . Car was caught on camera speeding on the 1st April. He put down the change of ownership as the 4th. Is there any way I can appeal this.? Motor tax in Shannon tell me I am liable as it was registered in my name when the offence took place. Appreciate any advice people can give me.

No need to do anything.

My name is off the car now since the 4th of April, 3 days after the speeding offence. Looks like I will be going to court so. I have never been before and looking forward to the experience :)

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Don't do this, it's fraud. AD banned for suggesting it.

Poor old Atlantic Dawn, I think he was joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

If your signed into lectures, you are sorted. Do you have some kind of receipt for sale? If it's dated you are defo ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

My name is off the car now since the 4th of April, 3 days after the speeding offence. Looks like I will be going to court so. I have never been before and looking forward to the experience :)

Should be fine as the info would have been posted in and would take longer to be processed anyway. that with the college roster should be definitive. at least beyond a reasonable doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Skatedude wrote: »
    Should be fine as the info would have been posted in and would take longer to be processed anyway. that with the college roster should be definitive. at least beyond a reasonable doubt.

And the speed van takes a pic of the driver I think

Advertisement