Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dumbbell collars are too tight

• 17-04-2016 8:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi. I recently bought dumbbells and the spinlock collars (is that what they're called?) are tight. SO when I do 1 set and want to increase the weight, I have to take the collars off and on again and it takes so long, they're too tight and stiff. Is there anyway to make them less tight?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

kaji wrote: »
    Hi. I recently bought dumbbells and the spinlock collars (is that what they're called?) are tight. SO when I do 1 set and want to increase the weight, I have to take the collars off and on again and it takes so long, they're too tight and stiff. Is there anyway to make them less tight?

Are they plastic or metal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

They're plastic

They're plastic

Are they a find thread? Are you sure they're being screwed onto the bar correctly?

image.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Screw them on less tight?

Get a washer and glue it to the inside of the collar.

• Advertisement

image.jpg

Should the wider end not be the side closer the weight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Oil the bar/collars.

Mellor wrote: »
    Oil the bar/collars.

Oil corrodes plastic.
    Try a silicone based lubricant

Get a washer and glue it to the inside of the collar.

Could you explain this more? What would the washer do?

I tried both ways, they're both as stiff as each other.

Ok, I will try lubing up my dumbbells next :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Could you explain this more? What would the washer do?

Is it hard to screw on all the way? or is it that you tighten them a lot and then its hard to remove it afterwards initially (but ok once loose).

If its hard to remove afterwards due to tightening then a washer can help. I have rubber washers and the collar is secure without having to tighten it up really hard. If its hard to spin it on all the way the washer will not help.

I would check inside the red plastic nut to see if there is a flaw in the plastic. Such as excess plastic which may be able to be trimmed off, carefully.

FlashOpt.jpg

Wearing thick rubber gardening gloves makes taking them off a lot easier.
    agg.jpg

Or wrapping them in something rubber. You could also leave rubber on them permanently, if you had old mountain bike inner tubes you could tube a 2 inch section and pull it over the nut, this allows you to get much better grip.

Thanks for all the help.

But yeah, it's hard to spin them on all the way. Not impossible, just hard. I feel like it's a forearm exercise just doing it! It's annoying cos I feel like I lose any momentum between sets as I have to change 4 collars (2 dumbbells) which takes about 5 minutes

Advertisement