Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bahrain - moving with young teenagers

Options
  • 17-04-2016 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

We have the possibility of moving of Bahrain for a stint.

Would love to get advice from anyone living there re: schools for young teenagers, practicalities like where's a good place to live, food shopping, what there is to do at weekends, buying cars, should I stock up on anything to bring over etc

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Probably OT but considering how the state conducts itself I would never consider it on principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Thank you for your input ED E.

We've lived in a military dictatorship and it was one of the best experiences myself and my children ever had to be honest - made us realise how lucky we were and it was an education my children would never receive in school. That said even though I don't agree with the way that country is run - when we lived there we respected their customs and kept our opinions to ourselves.

I'm really just looking for a realistic opinion of someone actually living in Bahrain. I've received pm's from two individuals and have to say both totally positive so far which is reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP I lived there for many years - both my children went to school there - one all the way to A levels. Wonderful experience. They both still go back regularly on holiday.

Depending on where you are living there are expat clubs, rugby club, Netball, cricket etc. Huge shopping malls - think they are building more! A bit more expensive than you would pay here but thats the cost of living. Food shopping is the same as here - supermarkets. There are some items you won't get but you can live without them.

Dovies wrote: »
    OP I lived there for many years - both my children went to school there - one all the way to A levels. Wonderful experience. They both still go back regularly on holiday.

Depending on where you are living there are expat clubs, rugby club, Netball, cricket etc. Huge shopping malls - think they are building more! A bit more expensive than you would pay here but thats the cost of living. Food shopping is the same as here - supermarkets. There are some items you won't get but you can live without them.

Thank you Dovies. I was looking at Saar to live? Would you be able to recommend somewhere that would also be close to entry to Saudi. My main concern is being in a safe and secure area. Also, either the British or St Christopher's for schools? I've heard traffic is a nightmare. Mind you so is the M50 so all relative I suppose.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

justagirl wrote: »
    Thank you Dovies. I was looking at Saar to live? Would you be able to recommend somewhere that would also be close to entry to Saudi. My main concern is being in a safe and secure area. Also, either the British or St Christopher's for schools? I've heard traffic is a nightmare. Mind you so is the M50 so all relative I suppose.:)

Ooh I lived in Saar! Very family orientated area. Lots of people who work in Saudi live there as its about 10 minutes to the Causeway. Traffic can be a nightmare all right but its swings and roundabouts. If you are in Saar then St Chris is nearer than the British School. Mine went to St Chris and loved it - loads of activities, sports days, christmas concerts, national costume day etc. Excellent teachers too.

The Dilmun Club is an Expat Club in Saar - pool, bars, restaurant, stables, pub quizzes, live music etc. The rugby club is around the corner from there - great spot on a Friday afternoon! There is an Irish Society as well - doesnt have its own premises but uses the Dilmun, Rugby Club and other places for their functions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Mod note: one post removed for personal attack and politics. This is a thread about moving to a country. If you wish to discuss said country's politics/ human rights issues, take it to the relevant forum.

Dovies wrote: »
    Ooh I lived in Saar! Very family orientated area. Lots of people who work in Saudi live there as its about 10 minutes to the Causeway. Traffic can be a nightmare all right but its swings and roundabouts. If you are in Saar then St Chris is nearer than the British School. Mine went to St Chris and loved it - loads of activities, sports days, christmas concerts, national costume day etc. Excellent teachers too.

The Dilmun Club is an Expat Club in Saar - pool, bars, restaurant, stables, pub quizzes, live music etc. The rugby club is around the corner from there - great spot on a Friday afternoon! There is an Irish Society as well - doesnt have its own premises but uses the Dilmun, Rugby Club and other places for their functions.

Thank you Dovies- that's great to know :)

Advertisement