Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Vel wrote: »
    Ginger and white chocolate rocky road.

Delicious. Supposed to do me 'for the week'. Finished them off within 2 days, with a small bit of help from the kids!

They look absolutely delish!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Seeing as we don't have a, Assembled anything tasty lately thread, I'll put these here.

The Irish Smore. I remember a girl in my class brought these in to school for a bake day.

I'd like to get the chocolate looser to spread more over the thing.

Digestive, marshmallow and chocolate. Not so pretty looking but tasty all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anybody watch the new bake off? The standard for the first episode was unbelievable

DIbEggmUEAA8XDf.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anybody watch the new bake off? The standard for the first episode was unbelievable

DIbEggmUEAA8XDf.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Well, not really baked, they're more boiled, but they are sweet and creamy and coconutty. I made coconut and almond ladoos.

3qiNQVp.jpg

I'm suspecting I'll be making lots and lots of varieties of these in the coming months - there seem to be endless flavour combinations, and with the right kind of spicing, they'd be just the thing for christmas.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    Well, not really baked, they're more boiled, but they are sweet and creamy and coconutty. I made coconut and almond ladoos.

I'm suspecting I'll be making lots and lots of varieties of these in the coming months - there seem to be endless flavour combinations, and with the right kind of spicing, they'd be just the thing for christmas.

They look lovely, with the Almond and Coconut are they like Raffaello?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Mini Victoria sponges!

427198.jpg

🤪

gizmo81 wrote: »
    They look lovely, with the Almond and Coconut are they like Raffaello?

The taste, yes, totally. The texture is different, though - no crispy wafer shell with sweet cream in the middle, these are soft with bits of crunchy almonds mixed through. I'm trying to think of something of similar texture to compare them to, but the only thing I can think of that's remotely similar are Rumkuglen, I don't know if you know these?

Shenshen wrote: »
    The taste, yes, totally. The texture is different, though - no crispy wafer shell with sweet cream in the middle, these are soft with bits of crunchy almonds mixed through. I'm trying to think of something of similar texture to compare them to, but the only thing I can think of that's remotely similar are Rumkuglen, I don't know if you know these?

You have me sold, they look yummy, similar taste to Raffaello but soft with crunchy almonds. Sound amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

This really isn't the right thread to catch up on when you are trying not to snack before dinner. :D

• Advertisement

Also Shenshen, I can't help thinking that Ladoos could settle right in here as a Christmas snack, just with a slight pronunciation tweak - I can already hear people all over the country calling out 'go on, give us another of those laddos with me cuppa tae, would ya?"

:P

It was bread week on Bake Off last week, and since I had never made bread before I decided to make some for lunch. Pretty easy! And oh so satisfying hearing the crisp crunch sound when biting in.

20170916_134530_600x800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Wedding cake.
    Top - Carrot cake
    Middle - Red Velvet
    Bottom - Choc biscuit

21730984_10155818329668699_6242723005505935674_n.jpg?oh=e6b14ce0d7aa8af1cb2e497df3819568&oe=5A5DB011

Simple delights : jam tarts with home-made raspberry, blackberry and amaretto jam.

MAV1lcA.jpg

Haven't had time to bake anything in a while, but those of you who were following my thread in consumer issues a few weeks ago will be glad to hear my KitchenAid mixer arrived this week ;)

To test it out I made Nigella's Apple and Blackberry kuchen, it's like a mix between bread and a crumble! I couldn't find blackberries in any of the shops near me though so I used raspberries instead. Turned out pretty tasty but I think it was a bit undercooked in the middle, not sure if that was due to my oven or there being too much liquid from the fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Coffee and Walnut cake with cream cheese buttercream filling, maple Italian buttercream frosting with candied walnuts 21752116_10213544236095877_7249160684258105620_n_zpsirgc1i4q.jpg

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Coffee and Walnut cake with cream cheese buttercream filling, maple Italian buttercream frosting with candied walnuts 21752116_10213544236095877_7249160684258105620_n_zpsirgc1i4q.jpg

Omg!!! That looks and sounds amazing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

following my thread in consumer issues a few weeks ago will be glad to hear my KitchenAid mixer arrived this week ;)

To test it out I made Nigella's Apple and Blackberry kuchen.
    Good to hear you got it, , now... I seem to remember talk of a batch of cakes for your supporters in that thread ;) :pac::pac:

I have heard people concerned about overly wet fruit before. I guess you could try dehydrating them a bit. You can buy bespoke dehydrators but it could be done in an oven on a low heat, I have done it in an airfryer. You can weigh before & after to keep track of the moisture loss. I suppose you could dry small amounts out by different amounts and put in idividual fairy cakes and see which works best.

Haven't had time to bake anything in a while, but those of you who were following my thread in consumer issues a few weeks ago will be glad to hear my KitchenAid mixer arrived this week ;)

To test it out I made Nigella's Apple and Blackberry kuchen, it's like a mix between bread and a crumble! I couldn't find blackberries in any of the shops near me though so I used raspberries instead. Turned out pretty tasty but I think it was a bit undercooked in the middle, not sure if that was due to my oven or there being too much liquid from the fruit.

Did it taste sweet?

I hear victory tastes pretty sweet :p
    (I read that whole thread and I'm absolutely delighted for you that you got your prize).

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭mickwat155

Top left - Apple crumble tartlets

Top right - Blueberry & apple pie

Bottom left - Lemon curd tart

Bottom right - Chocolate cranberry curd tart

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Good to hear you got it, , now... I seem to remember talk of a batch of cakes for your supporters in that thread ;) :pac::pac:

I have heard people concerned about overly wet fruit before. I guess you could try dehydrating them a bit. You can buy bespoke dehydrators but it could be done in an oven on a low heat, I have done it in an airfryer. You can weigh before & after to keep track of the moisture loss. I suppose you could dry small amounts out by different amounts and put in idividual fairy cakes and see which works best.

Haha yes I think I promised a lot of people cakes... Which I'll be happy to fulfil, PM me an address ;)

Yeah I've had problems with fruit before, probably didn't help that I used frozen raspberries either. My oven isn't the best too, I've had issues with cakes not cooking all the way through before so it was probably a combination of liquid from the fruit and needing longer in the oven.
    B0jangles wrote: »
    Did it taste sweet?

I hear victory tastes pretty sweet :p
    (I read that whole thread and I'm absolutely delighted for you that you got your prize).

Thank you, yes it was pretty sweet with the tangy taste of pride ;) cheers for all the support, happy it was an interesting story to follow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Congratulations piratequeen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭sdp

Well Done piratequeen! Happy baking :D

Thanks again everyone! Had a bit of a bad day yesterday so did some more baking to make myself feel better :P the KitchenAid came with a recipe book so I made these carrot cake muffins with pistachio and apricot from that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Slowly getting my baking mojo back now that autumn is settling in. I made rock cakes this morning :)

IMG_3081.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Slowly getting my baking mojo back now that autumn is settling in. I made rock cakes this morning :)

IMG_3081.jpg

Rock cakes are one of the first thing I ever made alone with a recipe from my mother's "All in the cooking" cookbook. I still make them weekly and always go down well.

Threw together last night a quick banana bread with added blueberries, and then topped it with a vanilla glaze.

IMG_20171003_WA0004_600x1067.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Made oat cookies with toasted walnuts and cranberries. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Any bakers here have any suggestions for an afterschool baking club? I’ve 30 kids that I spit into 5 groups. I’ve done 2 terms of this last year and I’m halfway through my third term but the ideas are really drying up. I have a tiny plug in mini oven that we use but I’ve often baked bits at home or given them the cooking instructions and let them cook them at home. We’ve made things like shortbread, fudge, banana bread, brown bread and cookies. I’m thinking of buying a block of sugar paste and spending a class making sugar decorations but other than that I’ll have to repeat something and I really would prefer not to!

• Advertisement

Wellyd wrote: »
    Any bakers here have any suggestions for an afterschool baking club? I’ve 30 kids that I spit into 5 groups. I’ve done 2 terms of this last year and I’m halfway through my third term but the ideas are really drying up. I have a tiny plug in mini oven that we use but I’ve often baked bits at home or given them the cooking instructions and let them cook them at home. We’ve made things like shortbread, fudge, banana bread, brown bread and cookies. I’m thinking of buying a block of sugar paste and spending a class making sugar decorations but other than that I’ll have to repeat something and I really would prefer not to!

Halloween is coming up, what about a class based on things for that?

Advertisement