Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Wellyd wrote: »
    Any bakers here have any suggestions for an afterschool baking club? I’ve 30 kids that I spit into 5 groups. I’ve done 2 terms of this last year and I’m halfway through my third term but the ideas are really drying up. I have a tiny plug in mini oven that we use but I’ve often baked bits at home or given them the cooking instructions and let them cook them at home. We’ve made things like shortbread, fudge, banana bread, brown bread and cookies. I’m thinking of buying a block of sugar paste and spending a class making sugar decorations but other than that I’ll have to repeat something and I really would prefer not to!

Just searched no bake ideas on Pinterest. Lots came up that need time to set. Could you make them in tinfoil dishes or get kids to bring in something else? Could you prep at class and bring home to set? Eton mess as they might enjoy the layering process.

Just some rolls for lunch. Tasty but I'm still working on getting them consistently good.

20171007_144553_600x800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Dónal wrote: »
    Just some rolls for lunch. Tasty but I'm still working on getting them consistently good.

20171007_144553_600x800.jpg

Donal, could you stick up a receipe for this, I would love to bake some fresh rolls like these.

James 007 wrote: »
    Donal, could you stick up a receipe for this, I would love to bake some fresh rolls like these.

From himself:

http://paulhollywood.com/recipes/baguettes/

I used 1/2 the portions for the two rolls.

Chocolate biscuits with a lime buttercream filling.

IMG_20171008_WA0000_800x450.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Dónal, they look delicious. What recipe did you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

From himself:

http://paulhollywood.com/recipes/baguettes/

I used 1/2 the portions for the two rolls.

Bet they were undeh prooved...

(They look gorgeous, bet even the man himself would say they were 'alright' :p)

Arbie wrote: »
    Dónal, they look delicious. What recipe did you use?

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/recipes/2017/0523/877295-rory-o-connell-s-lime-cookies/

I made them too thick - need to roll thinner, and get a smaller cookie cutter (I unsuccessfully used a shot glass). But still tasty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I want to try my hand at a simple sponge cake. I never bake and as such don't own a cake tin. What sort of tins do I need to do a sponge. Do they need to be the ones with a removeable base?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Whispered wrote: »
    I want to try my hand at a simple sponge cake. I never bake and as such don't own a cake tin. What sort of tins do I need to do a sponge. Do they need to be the ones with a removeable base?[/QUOTE

Hi Whispered
    No you don't need the spring form tins.
    THere's loads of recipe's out there but here's the one I use now.

You can pick up "sponge tins" in Tesco or Heatons or somewhere, you'll need two.
    Just grease them well and line the bottom with grease proof paper.
    Grease the whole tin, then cut a circle of greaseproof paper for the bottom of the tin, and grease that too.
    I use Margerine to grease the tins.

This Recipe I use is from my mother - started out as the three 3's but I use 4 eggs now.
    3 Eggs ( I now use 4 Eggs)
    3 oz Sugar
    3 Oz Self Raising flour - sieved.
    half teaspoon baking powder.

Beat the Eggs and Sugar together for 10 to twelve minutes until it has all doubled in size.
    Mix the Flour and Baking Powder together as you sieve it.
    Then gently fold in the flour in little by little - this is the longest bit.

Spoon into your two greased tins, pop in the oven, middle shelf, and cook for about 30 / 40 mins at temp of 180.

The cakes will reduce in size as they cool, don't worry.

When cool, Spread jam and cream and devour!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

photo-2.JPG

pic of type of tin you can buy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks a mil. Hopefully will have a half decent looking cake for the thread soon :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's a lovely recipe for a fatless sponge from ellejay but if you're looking for a Victoria sponge type of cake, you won't go wrong with Delia's all-in-one recipe. I've been using it for years and it never fails: https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/cake-recipes/classic-sponge-cake

Just be sure that your butter is soft.
    I usually fill it with strawberry jam and half and half mascarpone/cream, whipped together with a teaspoon of sugar. A great tip is to put jam on both halves because it will stop the slices sliding apart on the plates ;)
    Once you're comfortable making that you could increase the ingredients by half as much again, bake it for a little longer, and you'll have a higher sponge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

430469.jpg

Not a great photo, but tasted good! Chocolate cake with a salted caramel cream cheese frosting.

Had a bit of a disaster with the first batch of icing. Never thickened! So now I have a two-layer reject cake (the full cake should have been four layers) covered in icing that just flowed everywhere (but could easily cause a sugar rush with the amount of icing sugar in it!).

Thankfully Plan B - Philadelphia, Nutella, and Salted Caramel flavouring - worked out perfectly.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Oh nooo, too much cake :(

I can come over and help get rid of that nasty aul reject cake if you like?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    430469.jpg

Not a great photo, but tasted good! Chocolate cake with a salted caramel cream cheese frosting.

Had a bit of a disaster with the first batch of icing. Never thickened! So now I have a two-layer reject cake (the full cake should have been four layers) covered in icing that just flowed everywhere (but could easily cause a sugar rush with the amount of icing sugar in it!).

Thankfully Plan B - Philadelphia, Nutella, and Salted Caramel flavouring - worked out perfectly.

Cream cheese icing can turn liquid in a blink of an eye if it's over beaten even by a few turns of the paddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Cream cheese icing can turn liquid in a blink of an eye if it's over beaten even by a few turns of the paddle!

The cream cheese version was actually fine. But the original recipe I was using called for "Caramel Sauce" and a fair amount of it...I should have copped that there was too much liquid going in, but yeah.....

🤪

Profiteroles. Made way too much, fridge has a plate full of them!

20171013_182245_800x600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

D wrote: »
    :pac: those look great, is that just straight whipped cream? single or double cream?

Mango and lime drizzle cake, from my Rachel Allen cookbook!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

https://preview.ibb.co/gVFdbG/20171013_182245_800x600.jpg
    These look fab.

Could you share your recipe please?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭mickwat155

Simple christmas cake #odlumsreceipe

rubadub wrote: »
    D wrote: »
    :pac: those look great, is that just straight whipped cream? single or double cream?

https://preview.ibb.co/gVFdbG/20171013_182245_800x600.jpg
    These look fab.

Could you share your recipe please?

Recipe here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolateprofiterole_86196

It was whipped double cream until soft peaks, but it melted a bit!

Just some Sunday scones

20171015_094813_800x600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Cinnamon apple crumble cake for my mams birthday. Went down very well.

Baguettes, again.

20171015_141853_600x800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Hi Donal your scones look very tasty, any chance you would share the magic recipe!
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Cinnamon apple crumble cake for my mams birthday. Went down very well.

That looks gorgeous - what recipe did you use?

banoffe2 wrote: »
    Hi Donal your scones look very tasty, any chance you would share the magic recipe!
    Many thanks

I normally use a Mary Berry recipe, but I went for this one this time, but added 1 tablespoon of baking powder to the mix as per the comments:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23618/simple-homemade-scones.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

leahyl wrote: »
    That looks gorgeous - what recipe did you use?

It was a recipe by jaynes patisserie, she's on Facebook and writes a good blog, I've tried a good few of her recipes and all have turned out so so good. Her rolo caramel cheesecake is AMAZING.

Advertisement