Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Coopaloop wrote: »
    It was a recipe by jaynes patisserie, she's on Facebook and writes a good blog, I've tried a good few of her recipes and all have turned out so so good. Her rolo caramel cheesecake is AMAZING.

I'm a huge Jane's Patisserie fan! She has fab recipes. Her Biscoff cake is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I'm a huge Jane's Patisserie fan! She has fab recipes. Her Biscoff cake is lovely.

Yep, she's great. Have yet to do a recipe of hers that didn't turn out like it was supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

My mother gave me a jar of homemade jam so I made the scones!photo-4.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

ellejay wrote:
    My mother gave me a jar of homemade jam so I made the scones!431136

Is that a coin on the baking tray? A baker's trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Probably a coin for scale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It's an old Wexford tradition: 'slip a shillin on the tray lest the fairies take your scones away'

B0jangles wrote: »
    It's an old Wexford tradition: 'slip a shillin on the tray lest the fairies take your scones away'

yep that's it!
    hasn't let me down yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Just wondering if any bakers know where I might get the jam that's used in jam doughnuts/cream slices/victoria sponges that you get in shops? Its a smoother, sweeter jam than I can get in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I think it's just sieved strawberry jam?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Just wondering if any bakers know where I might get the jam that's used in jam doughnuts/cream slices/victoria sponges that you get in shops? Its a smoother, sweeter jam than I can get in the supermarket.

I think Hartleys do one? But one I've found with very little seeds was 'Morans' brand that you can get in Supervalu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Dónal wrote: »
    I normally use a Mary Berry recipe, but I went for this one this time, but added 1 tablespoon of baking powder to the mix as per the comments:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23618/simple-homemade-scones.aspx

made these Saturday, I never bake anything so wasn't sure how it would go!

Tasted unreal, but they didn't rise as much as I expected them to. Also strangely I had to put some on the top shelf and some on the bottom shelf...the ones on the bottom the ends started to burn and the ones on top the tops started to burn.... :eek:

I saved them on time but not sure what I done wrong, maybe its the fan oven.. will try washing them all over with milk next time maybe :o

They were devoured by anybody who came near the house all weekend :D

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    made these Saturday, I never bake anything so wasn't sure how it would go!

Tasted unreal, but they didn't rise as much as I expected them to. Also strangely I had to put some on the top shelf and some on the bottom shelf...the ones on the bottom the ends started to burn and the ones on top the tops started to burn.... :eek:

I saved them on time but not sure what I done wrong, maybe its the fan oven.. will try washing them all over with milk next time maybe :o

They were devoured by anybody who came near the house all weekend :D

Out of curiosity, did you add baking powder to the recipe or did you do without?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I baked cookies today using the recipe on the odlums website. I changed it slightly by using half dark choc and half chopped nuts instead of choc chips. It's a great recipe. Really easy and the oats give them a lovely texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I always find the Odlums website is very reliable and the result is always as it should be compared to some other websites!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I always find the Odlums website is very reliable and the result is always as it should be compared to some other websites!

+1

It's my go to website for baking. Everything always turns out great

same here!!
    that's my scones recipe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Me too. I always try Odlums first when I'm looking for a recipe, they're so reliable.

I always go to Nigella's website for recipes but I'll be checking out odlums after these rave reviews! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I tend to go, though it's not set in stone:
    BBC
    BBC Good Food
    Delia
    Nigella
    Jamie Oliver (though have to use Google to search there nowadays)
    searches on my computer

though the last three might not be in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I go to bbcgoodfood a lot, or Mary Berry or some blogs, but find the odlums recipes great especially for basic ratios. Like if a recipe looks like it's got way more butter or flour than usual, odlums is my go-to for what the "standard" ratio of flour to eggs is in a sponge or whatever. Also their mince pie pastry recipe is second to none!

• Advertisement

I go to bbcgoodfood a lot, or Mary Berry or some blogs, but find the odlums recipes great especially for basic ratios. Like if a recipe looks like it's got way more butter or flour than usual, odlums is my go-to for what the "standard" ratio of flour to eggs is in a sponge or whatever. Also their mince pie pastry recipe is second to none!

I'll keep that in mind I plan to make my own mince pies for the first time this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thanks confusticated - making my own mincers this year so might use that recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I'll keep that in mind I plan to make my own mince pies for the first time this year!

Everybody said my mother's mince pies were great (well, they would, wouldn't they?), though I never liked them :o. She said the secret was putting loads of mincemeat in each pie :pac: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I've experimented with putting chopped apple in with the mincemeat (about 50/50) to cut the sugaryness and density and it's much nicer :)

Do people make their own mincemeat or buy it? Making it seems like a lot of bother but I'm not sure how worth it it is!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Do people make their own mincemeat or buy it? Making it seems like a lot of bother but I'm not sure how worth it it is!

Buy a decent quality one and jazz it up yourself. My mum usually buys one from Dunnes and adds a bit of booze to it and lets it soak overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I buy a big jar of mincemeat in lidl (very cheap!) and tart it up with grated apple, extra spices, chopped glacé cherries, juicy sultanas, orange zest and some booze. I've made mincemeat and it's a bit of a faff and no nicer so I don't bother anymore!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I made a massive load of mincemeat years ago. If you are making your own puddings / cakes etc it is essentially the same ingredients anyway and really not that much hassle.

Thanks all I'll try a few different modifications to store bought mincemeat, I'm not a big fan of Christmas cake or pudding so I wouldn't be making those to have the ingredients in anyway.

Seems awful early still to be talking about mince pies! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thanks all I'll try a few different modifications to store bought mincemeat, I'm not a big fan of Christmas cake or pudding so I wouldn't be making those to have the ingredients in anyway.

Seems awful early still to be talking about mince pies! :D

Eh, it's the 1st of November a week from today! :D

Advertisement