Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

leahyl wrote: »
    Eh, it's the 1st of November a week from today! :D

Still too early!! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I add grated apple to bought mincemeat too. For the past couple of years I've made my pies with frangipane topping for a change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Dónal wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, did you add baking powder to the recipe or did you do without?

I used a tablespoon of baking powder....apparently that should of gotten them to rise so don't know where I went wrong. Will try again though...and use 2 spoons next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    I used a tablespoon of baking powder....apparently that should of gotten them to rise so don't know where I went wrong. Will try again though...and use 2 spoons next time!

the people in the comments were adding teaspoons not tablespoons.

Are you sure you used baking powder? and not baking soda/bicarb of soda/bread soda/bicarbonate of soda.

rubadub wrote: »

Are you sure you used baking powder? and not baking soda/bicarb of soda/bread soda/bicarbonate of soda.

If you've had your baking powder for a while it's possible it's expired, I find it doesn't last too much past the expiration date. You can check by dissolving some in warm water and see if it forms bubbles/foam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

You need to cut them thick / high.

So, for my scones, I cut them about two inches thick / high.

They'll rise a little but really the thickness / height that you cut them is how they'll turn out.
    I just use a glass dusted in flour.
    pre oven.JPG

rubadub wrote: »

If you've had your baking powder for a while it's possible it's expired, I find it doesn't last too much past the expiration date. You can check by dissolving some in warm water and see if it forms bubbles/foam.

hmm.... I assumed it was baking powder, I just picked it up in ALdi that morning...i'll need to check when I get home it might not be! :pac:

ellejay wrote: »
    You need to cut them thick / high.

So, for my scones, I cut them about two inches thick / high.

They'll rise a little but really the thickness / height that you cut them is how they'll turn out.
    I just use a glass dusted in flour.
    pre oven.JPG

ah jaysus my poor fellas weren't even cut half that size, guess that explains it thanks!!

Will be making them alot thicker next time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

ah jaysus my poor fellas weren't even cut half that size, guess that explains it thanks!!

Will be making them alot thicker next time :D

stick up a pic when done!

Edit to say, cook on the top shelf of your oven, not the middle or bottom.
    My oven is fan assisted so I cook at 200 for ten - fifteen minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use the scone recipe from the Cooking Club. It makes a large amount of big scones but they freeze very well.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057262473

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

leahyl wrote: »
    Eh, it's the 1st of November a week from today! :D

I've already got my puddings made :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I've already got my puddings made :)

Making my christmas cake this weekend!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Made this sourdough loaf & the kitchen is filled with the smell of baked bread, has to be one of the best aromas.20171030_160319.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

kimokanto wrote: »
    Made this sourdough loaf & the kitchen is filled with the smell of baked bread, has to be one of the best aromas.20171030_160319.jpg
    You've over cooked it, throw it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

James 007 wrote:

Doesn't taste overcooked, you've just got to be brave enough to let it take the right colour & the fantastic taste that comes with it. But each to their own eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Halloween baking!

Just fairy cakes with spooky decorations :)

James 007 wrote: »

Looks perfect to me - I love a nice dark crust.

Coopaloop wrote: »
    It was a recipe by jaynes patisserie, she's on Facebook and writes a good blog, I've tried a good few of her recipes and all have turned out so so good. Her rolo caramel cheesecake is AMAZING.

Made this apple crumble cake for someones birthday last week and omg it turned out amazing!!! It was so good! Can't wait to try more recipes from her blog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

James 007 wrote: »

Even if it is a little overcooked there's no call to waste good food!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kimokanto wrote: »

Anyone else just seeing a blank page here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Anyone else just seeing a blank page here?

There is an issue with attachments on Boards at the moment I believe. I couldn’t see anything when they first posted a link but can now see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Just made our Christmas cake.
    Love the idea of home made bread but don't think is gave the knack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Some Halloween baking for a kids party, all new recipes that I’ll definitely use again, though will bake cookies for longer as they just weren’t crispy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs G! made a Chocolate and Caramel Ombre Cake

9_EFEC8_E9-_AB61-4_A20-_BB59-6177_A52_E27_C2.jpg

Mrs G! made a Chocolate and Caramel Ombre Cake

9_EFEC8_E9-_AB61-4_A20-_BB59-6177_A52_E27_C2.jpg

Looks like a nom nom nombre cake to me! Mmmmm...

Haha sorry that was terrible! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Made a malteasers cheesecake last week adapting the Jane's Patisserie recipe to my own cheesecakey goodness
    http://www.janespatisserie.com/2015/05/29/no-bake-chocolate-malteser-cheesecake/

I used malteasers in the base and the mix too...tried to make the top all flat and even with melted spread but messed it up then by adding the scrapings from the bowl I'd melted the spread in. :D

432634.PNG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

DNaLzXaXkAcVq45.jpg:small
    Amaretto sour buns.
    Lemon drizzle cake base, with about 10 splashes of bitters in the batter. Iced with bog standard icing sugar with hot water, almond essence (I had drank all the amaretto by then) and a tsp of citric acid for a sour zing.
    Cake was super fluffy on day one, went a bit firm on day two, but didn't last long after arriving in the office.
    I think next time, i'll soak the buns with the drizzle, and instead of boring icing, get some egg whites into the mix with a swiss buttercream (with amaretto and less citric acid...)

Had a hectic few days in work and feel like doing some stress baking tonight to unwind...but I don't know what to make! Any good recipe suggestions? :D I was thinking something chocolatey, and ideally not too onerous because I'm wrecked :P

Had a hectic few days in work and feel like doing some stress baking tonight to unwind...but I don't know what to make! Any good recipe suggestions? :D I was thinking something chocolatey, and ideally not too onerous because I'm wrecked :P

I really want to make this soon cos it looks so easy and scrummy!

http://www.janespatisserie.com/2017/08/21/malteser-tiffin/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Nigella's Emergency Brownies sound like just the job!
    Disclaimer: I haven't tried the recipe as I haven't had a chocolate emergency since I found and bookmarked the recipe, which makes me sound super balanced and virtuous until I admit I only found it yesterday!

Advertisement