Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

dee_mc wrote: »
    Nigella's Emergency Brownies sound like just the job!
    Disclaimer: I haven't tried the recipe as I haven't had a chocolate emergency since I found and bookmarked the recipe, which makes me sound super balanced and virtuous until I admit I only found it yesterday!

Do you have a link for that recipe? I'm always keen to try new brownie recipes!

I remembered I have cream in the fridge that needs to be used so I'm going to attempt to make eclairs for the first time- wish me luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/emergency_brownies_43976
    There ya go!
    Good luck with the eclairs, they're not at all as complex as I first thought they would be!

Eclairs didn't work out exactly as planned! The choux pastry collapsed on me even though I followed the timing in the recipe exactly, and for whatever reason my chocolate ganache split on me both times I tried to make it. So they're a little flat and the chocolate is a bit grainy but they still taste pretty good so could be worse for a first attempt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Donal Skehan (as much as he annoys me) has an amazing and pretty foolproof Eclair recipe, even my man managed to do them at the very first attempt and he doesn't bake very often.

LirW wrote: »
    Donal Skehan (as much as he annoys me) has an amazing and pretty foolproof Eclair recipe, even my man managed to do them at the very first attempt and he doesn't bake very often.

Will have to check that one out! I followed the odlums recipe because everyone here said their recipes are good! Tbf I don't think dairy milk was a great choice of chocolate to use for the ganache (it was all they had in the shop!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Will have to check that one out! I followed the odlums recipe because everyone here said their recipes are good! Tbf I don't think dairy milk was a great choice of chocolate to use for the ganache (it was all they had in the shop!)

Yeh that will be what caused it to split. I don't think Dairy Milk is classed as real chocolate. Lidl or Aldi own brand is quite good.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Yeh that will be what caused it to split. I don't think Dairy Milk is classed as real chocolate. Lidl or Aldi own brand is quite good.

That's what I normally get but didn't have time to go there so had to get whatever was in the tiny Tesco beside me! Lesson learned anyway!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

DOTMd1IXcAAJURj.jpg:small
    Not baking, but salted caramels with peanuts covered in (ill-tempered) dark chocolate.

While the chocolates were getting dipped, there was a lemon drizzle cake in the oven (with some added poppy seeds and 3 dashes of bitters). You can imagine that one w/o needing a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Tree wrote: »
    Not baking, but salted caramels with peanuts covered in (ill-tempered) dark chocolate.

While the chocolates were getting dipped, there was a lemon drizzle cake in the oven (with some added poppy seeds and 3 dashes of bitters). You can imagine that one w/o needing a picture.

They look amazing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    That's what I normally get but didn't have time to go there so had to get whatever was in the tiny Tesco beside me! Lesson learned anyway!

I used to use theirs but have started using the Lily O'Briens 'buttons' which are tastier and work out cheaper then the Lidl/Aldi chocolate.
    https://lilyobriens.ie/all-chocolates/by-type/baking/chocolate-drops-for-baking-assortment

I've never paid 20€ for both bags as there is always some sort of 'offer' on. They do a pop-up shop in Kildare village at christmas and easter too so you can save on postage (if any, there is always something else to buy too on their site :D). I think even at €20 for 1kg if works out cheaper than 8 x lidl/aldi 125g bars?
    I still buy the odd bit of lidl/aldi stuff but the main buik stuff I make with choc (brownies, choc biscuit cake) is better with the Lily O'Briens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

They look amazing

Sadly, they look less impressive close up, as my dodgy tempering has left the blotchy streaky bloom all over them. (sure it just makes them look more homemade...)

(Lazy tempering works about 70% of the time for me. Nuke 2/3 of the chocolate by weight, stir in the remainder, when fully melded, start dipping. This time, i was a bit impatient waiting for the melding so added a bit too much extra heat)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Wanted to try out my new Funnel Cake Tin from Lidl so made this.

Found the recipe in an old "Stork" Christmas booklet for Chocolate Rum Cake.
    I substituted the Rum for Cherry Juice so used the Cherry's to decorate.

photo 1-4.JPG

photo 2-4.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Eclairs didn't work out exactly as planned! The choux pastry collapsed on me even though I followed the timing in the recipe exactly, and for whatever reason my chocolate ganache split on me both times I tried to make it. So they're a little flat and the chocolate is a bit grainy but they still taste pretty good so could be worse for a first attempt!

They look delicious!! Bet all devoured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Day 1 of Christmas cake. I finally found a use for this horrible stuff

Was down in Kinsale midweek and ate at Man Friday. Really good meal, but the bread they had stole the show! I asked for the recipe (and rang the restaurant to talk to the chef - it was that good!), so I've made an attempt at it this morning using this recipe.

It's good but not quite there.

20171112_115824_800x600.jpg

I used to use theirs but have started using the Lily O'Briens 'buttons' which are tastier and work out cheaper then the Lidl/Aldi chocolate.
    https://lilyobriens.ie/all-chocolates/by-type/baking/chocolate-drops-for-baking-assortment

I've never paid 20€ for both bags as there is always some sort of 'offer' on. They do a pop-up shop in Kildare village at christmas and easter too so you can save on postage (if any, there is always something else to buy too on their site :D). I think even at €20 for 1kg if works out cheaper than 8 x lidl/aldi 125g bars?
    I still buy the odd bit of lidl/aldi stuff but the main buik stuff I make with choc (brownies, choc biscuit cake) is better with the Lily O'Briens

That's a great tip! Will definitely keep an eye out for deals online, I'm never at Kildare village unfortunately!
    ellejay wrote: »
    They look delicious!! Bet all devoured.
    Ha they were all eaten but the ganache was weirdly salty tasting, think it was the dairy milk. Will definitely give them another go soon!

I've wanted to try a moro/boost cheesecake for ages (on a bit of a cheesecake kick). So here we are. :)
    Digestive base with melted better and caramel. Layer of caramel. Choc cheesecake...with mcvitives digestives caramel nibbles (to mirror the bits of biscuit in a moro bar). Another layer of caramel, because, well because you can never have too much caramel....and some boost bites.

Took it out of the tin a bit soon, as I made it early in the day so figured I'd treat myself to a slice for desert after my equally delicious lasagna :D Would usually leave cheesecake overnight to set. So a bit soft and presentation not quite what I wanted but feck it :)

433322.png

I'll make this again as want to try it with melting down the boost bars with some other chocolate and see how that flavours the cheesecake mix. Used mostly dark choc in this as I knew there'd be plenty of sweetness elsewhere. Could do with more of the nibbles...not enough biscuity goodness going through it. Actually picked up a second bag of the nibbles in lidl on Friday, could easily have thrown a load more of them in there.
    Started out as a brownie base but that didn't work out so had to redo the base :( on the bright side I have bits of brownie left now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/358609/lemon-curd-and-blueberry-loaf-cake

Interesting recipe that had lemon curd and Greek yogurt in the batter. Similar in texture to a Madeira but so much more moist. Lemon juice, rind and curd made it reeeeally lemony but could probably use more blueberries really as the lemon overpowers it definitely.

I've wanted to try a moro/boost cheesecake for ages (on a bit of a cheesecake kick). So here we are. :)
    Digestive base with melted better and caramel. Layer of caramel. Choc cheesecake...with mcvitives digestives caramel nibbles (to mirror the bits of biscuit in a moro bar). Another layer of caramel, because, well because you can never have too much caramel....and some boost bites.

Took it out of the tin a bit soon, as I made it early in the day so figured I'd treat myself to a slice for desert after my equally delicious lasagna :D Would usually leave cheesecake overnight to set. So a bit soft and presentation not quite what I wanted but feck it :)

433322.png

I'll make this again as want to try it with melting down the boost bars with some other chocolate and see how that flavours the cheesecake mix. Used mostly dark choc in this as I knew there'd be plenty of sweetness elsewhere. Could do with more of the nibbles...not enough biscuity goodness going through it. Actually picked up a second bag of the nibbles in lidl on Friday, could easily have thrown a load more of them in there.
    Started out as a brownie base but that didn't work out so had to redo the base :( on the bright side I have bits of brownie left now. :)

Oh my god that sounds positively decadent! I absolutely love moros /boost, probably my favourite chocolate bar!

I made this chocolate pudding; it's a bit like a gooey cake, uses ground almonds instead of flour. Really rich and nutty :D

• Advertisement

Christmas cake day 2! The house smells good

I haven't made christmas cake yet. Is there a cut off for making it and it still tasting delicoius? :) I usually have it done and dusted by now!

Oh my god that sounds positively decadent! I absolutely love moros /boost, probably my favourite chocolate bar!

It is amazing! I may have taken a very big slice :o
    Into the office with it tomorrow. They'll polish it off nicely.

Day 3, before wrapped.

Marzipan and icing in 5 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I've been thinking about doing an almond paste, glazed fruit and nut topping on the Christmas cake this year, instead of the usual combo of almond paste/royal icing. I've seen lots of cakes with a lightly grilled almond paste top, and others with glazed fruit and nuts, but not many with both.

Have any of you tried this? I love the look of the fruit and nut topping but there'd be ructions if there was no almond paste, so that has to be in there as well :)

This kind of thing:

DXL574Y.jpg?1

Combined in some way with this kind of thing

ohA0ZfP.jpg

I can't see why it wouldn't work, as long as the surface of the paste was sealed in some way to stop the fruit glaze making it damp.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dónal wrote: »
    Was down in Kinsale midweek and ate at Man Friday. Really good meal, but the bread they had stole the show! I asked for the recipe (and rang the restaurant to talk to the chef - it was that good!), so I've made an attempt at it this morning using this recipe.

It's good but not quite there.

20171112_115824_800x600.jpg

I've made that bread quite a few times, it's lovely. If you like that you'll love Neven Maguire's wheaten bread. I make it regularly - the recipe makes two loaves so I cut one in half and freeze it:
    https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/recipes/2013/0212/744544-macnean-wheaten-bread/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

B0jangles wrote: »
    I've been thinking about doing an almond paste, glazed fruit and nut topping on the Christmas cake this year...

...I can't see why it wouldn't work, as long as the surface of the paste was sealed in some way to stop the fruit glaze making it damp.

I just had another think about this and I think I have answered my own question - I normally brush the top of the cake with strained marmalade before I put the almond paste on and this causes no dampness issues, so I'll just do the same on top of the paste as well!

20171113_221503_800x600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I hope there is a half pound of butter hiding under that lazy cow in the background to slather on those rude boys...:pac:

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I hope there is a half pound of butter hiding under that lazy cow in the background to slather on those rude boys...:pac:

Oh yeah! Jam is out of shot too :)

Advertisement