Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

Tried the eclairs again and they went much better :) still had a few collapse but the ganache worked perfectly using proper chocolate this time! I ran out of cream halfway through so I made a sort of 'Boston cream' type filling for the rest which worked ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tried the eclairs again and they went much better :) still had a few collapse but the ganache worked perfectly using proper chocolate this time! I ran out of cream halfway through so I made a sort of 'Boston cream' type filling for the rest which worked ok!

They look great!

I wanted to pass on my dairy milk melting tip too, for when that’s what you have for melting.... my granny showed me this actually. Heat water and sugar in a pan. About two tbsp water and two teaspoon granulated sugar... add this to your big dairymilk while it is melting. And use water-bath for melting, it it gentler than the microwave. It leaves the chocolate slightly soft and shiny, which i love on an eclair!

pwurple wrote: »
    They look great!

I wanted to pass on my dairy milk melting tip too, for when that’s what you have for melting.... my granny showed me this actually. Heat water and sugar in a pan. About two tbsp water and two teaspoon granulated sugar... add this to your big dairymilk while it is melting. And use water-bath for melting, it it gentler than the microwave. It leaves the chocolate slightly soft and shiny, which i love on an eclair!

Ah great, I distinctly remember making chocolate biscuit cake with dairy milk before so I was wondering how it was possible! Thanks :)

Was at a great wedding yesterday, and feeling a bit hungover (Not helped by my daughter wanting to play at 6am), so today is all about the heavy bready foods.

Did some chocolate banana bread here, have some more of the ballymaloe treacle brown bread to go in the oven, and I think we'll order in a mad greasy pizza later.

IMG_20171118_WA0004_800x450.jpg

I used to use theirs but have started using the Lily O'Briens 'buttons' which are tastier and work out cheaper then the Lidl/Aldi chocolate.
    https://lilyobriens.ie/all-chocolates/by-type/baking/chocolate-drops-for-baking-assortment

I've never paid 20€ for both bags as there is always some sort of 'offer' on. They do a pop-up shop in Kildare village at christmas and easter too so you can save on postage (if any, there is always something else to buy too on their site :D). I think even at €20 for 1kg if works out cheaper than 8 x lidl/aldi 125g bars?
    I still buy the odd bit of lidl/aldi stuff but the main buik stuff I make with choc (brownies, choc biscuit cake) is better with the Lily O'Briens

Lily's are doing 30% off for Black Friday with the code BLACK30; just bought 2x baking chocolate bundles (4kg! :D) and a box of 24 chocolates for my OH's mother's bday all for €35 with free delivery! That should see me through my Christmas baking anyway ;)

Thanks again for the tip RacoonQueen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Thanks a mill RacoonQueen, I just ordered two of the twin bundles (ie 4 big boxes of chocs) for 28e which is brilliant. I'm giving them to our sections in work with a thank you card for their card & huge gift for our wedding so hopefully there will be happy faces all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Little G! No.1 had a cupcake challenge in Home Economics last week. These are just a few of what she had left ie brought home.

She won! :)

AFF9_BE5_A-55_BB-4_AC8-9_C6_D-4_D66_B97_D0607.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Lily's are doing 30% off for Black Friday with the code BLACK30; just bought 2x baking chocolate bundles (4kg! :D) and a box of 24 chocolates for my OH's mother's bday all for €35 with free delivery! That should see me through my Christmas baking anyway ;)

Thanks again for the tip RacoonQueen!
    missmatty wrote: »
    Thanks a mill RacoonQueen, I just ordered two of the twin bundles (ie 4 big boxes of chocs) for 28e which is brilliant. I'm giving them to our sections in work with a thank you card for their card & huge gift for our wedding so hopefully there will be happy faces all round!

I need to remember to go in on Fri (pay day) and get more :)

I got their advent calendar in my last order. CAN NOT WAIT TILL DECEMBER 1st!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

your scones look very tasty and pleasing to the eye Dónal any chance you could post the magic potion please!

banoffe2 wrote: »
    your scones look very tasty and pleasing to the eye D any chance you could post the magic potion please!

Last recipe I made was this, with 75g of currents added.

http://www.maryberry.co.uk/recipes/baking/devonshire-scones

• Advertisement

My wife bought me a packet of dime (daim) bars from Ikea during the week, so rather than me eating them all I made them into Dime (Daim) Blondies.

20171123_222951_600x800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

^^ now there's an idea!!

It's movember Friday in work tomorrrow so made some vanilla shortbread and topped them with water icing. First time trying the outline icing and then pooling the centre with a thinner consistency and it worked well!

Made this Nutella swirl bread last night. Delicious as breakfast this morning. The bread itself is really soft and fluffy, like a cross between bread and cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

That looks amazing piratequeen, any chance of the recipe?

That looks amazing piratequeen, any chance of the recipe?

https://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/chocolate-twist-loaf

^ that's the recipe I followed, although I ended up having to add a lot of extra flour when making the dough. Not sure if an error in the recipe or if I made a mistake when measuring!

Edit: oh and I skipped the glaze part of the recipe, I tried making it but it cooled too fast and solidified so I threw it out. I don't think it needs it tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

So I tried Nigella's Emergency Brownies (linked above but here it is again https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/emergency_brownies_43976)
    Obviously, this being a baking emergency, I didn't have exactly the right size tin (a few cm bigger than it should've been), had to use soft dark instead of soft light brown sugar, and I had no walnuts so used pecans instead.
    They're easy to make but a tiny bit faffy (2 bowls and a small saucepan on the go; some things measured by weight and some using spoons).
    Turned out really nice, although I would say if, like me, you're using a larger tin, you need to make sure you get them out of the oven as soon as they begin to look a bit dry around the edges - mine are a bit on the thin side, and definitely leaning slightly more towards dry and set than gooey and super-moist.
    Oh, and IMO half the quantity of nuts would be plenty if, like me, you're here for the chocolate!
    It's a nice recipe and I'll be picking up some little foil trays for the next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Christmas is approaching, and I can't deny my German nature. I started the first batch of Plaetzchen (christmas cookies) yesterday - the pic shows only 2 racks, but there are actually 2 more I couldn't fit into the picture.
    I'll be doing at lest 2 other kinds over the next few weekends, possibly more.

gWVzOLu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Shenshen, wow!
    Just wow.
    Looks like something out of 'How to do Instagram like a boss' manual. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Shenshen wrote: »
    Christmas is approaching, and I can't deny my German nature. I started the first batch of Plaetzchen (christmas cookies) yesterday - the pic shows only 2 racks, but there are actually 2 more I couldn't fit into the picture.
    I'll be doing at lest 2 other kinds over the next few weekends, possibly more.

gWVzOLu.jpg

Unbelievable! Any chance of the recipe? How long do they keep for?

Unbelievable! Any chance of the recipe? How long do they keep for?

Sure, it's pretty straight forward:

350g of flour
    200g of grated almonds
    200g of cold butter
    200g of sugar
    2 - 3 tbsp of cold water
    1 tsp of cinnamon
    1/2 tsp of ground cloves

Jam of choice for sticking them together (I used home-made raspberry, blackberry and Amaretto jam, but any jam will do, really)
    Icing sugar for the top

Mix all the ingredients to form a shortcrust pastry. Roll out (if, like me, you don't have an industrial-size kitchen, you can roll out maybe a quarter of it first) and cut the shapes. Line a baking tray with baking paper, then put the stars on them. Bake at 200 degrees for around 7 - 8 minutes (you only want them slightly brown round the edges).
    Put half of your stars upside down on a cooling rack, and place a little bit of jam in the middle of each. Then place the others on top, and press down very gently to spread the jam out a bit.
    Repeat this until all your pastry is used up.
    Once they're all cooled down, sieve ca 1-2 tbsp of icing sugar over the top of them.

They will keep a few weeks if you hide them well. They will intensify in taste, but go slightly soft and cake-like. So if you want them with a snap, you need to eat them straight away.

• Advertisement

Wow Shenshen they look amazing! Im definitely going to give them a try.

I've actually been thinking about making lebkuchen. I think that's what they're called. I've only had shop bought ones but I really like them. Would you have a recipe for them by any chance?

Wow Shenshen they look amazing! Im definitely going to give them a try.

I've actually been thinking about making lebkuchen. I think that's what they're called. I've only had shop bought ones but I really like them. Would you have a recipe for them by any chance?

I'm afraid not. My grandmother makes them, but my mom doesn't, so I haven't really had any first-hand experience.
    The thing about them is that you need to start preparing them at the end of October, the mixture takes a long time to mature. And you need a rather odd ingredient called "Hirschhornsalz" (literally : stag horn salt), which google tells me is ammonium carbonate. Not sure where I could pick that up around here.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm afraid not. My grandmother makes them, but my mom doesn't, so I haven't really had any first-hand experience.
    The thing about them is that you need to start preparing them at the end of October, the mixture takes a long time to mature. And you need a rather odd ingredient called "Hirschhornsalz" (literally : stag horn salt), which google tells me is ammonium carbonate. Not sure where I could pick that up around here.

Oh really? Ha shows how much I know. I guess I'll put that on hold until next year then! Thanks for getting back to me. I'll try those lovely stars you shared instead :D

Oh really? Ha shows how much I know. I guess I'll put that on hold until next year then! Thanks for getting back to me. I'll try those lovely stars you shared instead :D

Happy baking! :)
    I promise I'll post pictures of the next lot, too

Finally made my christmas cakes last night...one of the main reasons I hadn't made them was because I thought I'd run out of nutmeg, finally remembered to buy some at the weekend and opened the press to get the mixed spice and saw enough nutmeg left in the jar to make christmas cake... :rolleyes:
    Apartment still smells like Christmas this morning though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Ammonium Carbonate

Lots on Ebay, but dunno about postage.

The Wiki page on it is interesting (well, maybe :) ); amongst other things, the ammonium carbonate now sold for baking no longer contains any ammonium carbonate :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Cocksy

i just made chocolate cookies

Latest attempt to get my daughter to eat more veg: brown bread with carrots, courgettes and red onion

20171202_150221_800x600.jpg

Banana bread with mixed berries and a lemon glaze

20171203_162045_800x600.jpg

• Advertisement

Flour free choc orange cupcakes with whipped choc orange ganache today...I originally piped these but it is actually years since I last piped and they were a mess piped, especially since they were flour free as a couple of them sank...so spread the ganache instead.
    Nice and airy cupcake. Nice and airy frosting. Rich with all the dark choc but nice undertone of orange from the orange zest to take away from the darkness of the choc.
    Definitely making these again. Need more practise piping sure. :D

Not really happy with how these look, but long, long time since I made cupcakes of any kind.

435160.png

Also have crunchie fudge in the fridge, will photo that tomorrow. :)

Advertisement