Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

On Sunday, I made the second batch of German christmas cookies : Vanilla crescents.
    Now, these are kind of absolutely essential. While every German family has different types pf cookies/biscuits they make, I don't honestly know of one that would even consider christmas without these.

oLudYzp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

VANILLEKIPFERL <3

I'm gonna start making mine in 10 days or so. The only thing I'd do different is using powdered sugar to coat them in.

Also planning on Husarenkrapferl, Kokosbusserl and something with chocolate, undecided what though. Oh and maybe Linzer stars.

LirW wrote: »
    VANILLEKIPFERL <3

I'm gonna start making mine in 10 days or so. The only thing I'd do different is using powdered sugar to coat them in.

Also planning on Husarenkrapferl, Kokosbusserl and something with chocolate, undecided what though. Oh and maybe Linzer stars.

Ah, the Austrian way :D My grandmother from the Waldviertel would make them the same way, but my gran from Northern Bavaria (and my mom) always made them with crystal sugar.

Husarenkrapferl are on my list, too :)
    I've already made Hildatoertchen (similar to Linzer Stars, I think), and I'm thinking of making a similar pastry, but with grated pecan nuts, and sticking them together with Nutella. Not yet sure what I'll call those, I don't think they exist yet :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Where do we get a recipe for them, the look lovely.

Here we have experimental Cadbury Crunchie spread fudge. So bloody delicious.

24796507_528992597463979_6659037480347342831_n.jpg?oh=8a9444c25fbb687daa069e29970b78b0&oe=5A94E3F9

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

All these traditional German things look amazing.

There aren't any traditional Irish Christmas baking things, are there?

• Advertisement

Here we have experimental Cadbury Crunchie spread fudge. So bloody delicious.

24796507_528992597463979_6659037480347342831_n.jpg?oh=8a9444c25fbb687daa069e29970b78b0&oe=5A94E3F9

Oooh looks incredible! Could you post the fudge recipe please?

This is pretty close to the ones I made. Only I don't use powdered sugar to coat them, though, just regular vanilla sugar.
    You can make that by getting a vanilla bean, cutting it open, getting the seeds out and mixing them with caster sugar in a sealable jar. I usually also shove the husk in, that's got flavour, too, after all.
    You need to let that infuse for a good few days (weeks, if you have them). Then you can take the husk out and the sugar will have an amazing vanilla aroma.

Dónal wrote: »
    Oooh looks incredible! Could you post the fudge recipe please?

1 x tin condensed milk
    200g milk choc
    100-150g crunchie spread
    25g butter (I used salted but unsalted will work too)
    125g icing sugar
    vanilla extract

Melt condensed milk, choc, spread and butter together until all melted - I used a saucepan but I guess you can use mircrowave too
    beat in the icing sugar and vanilla extract..make sure icing sugar is sifted
    Into a lined tin and into the fridge

Mine was in fridge for ~24 hours before cutting. Could probably have done with a little less spread as it is a wee bit soft but it is still delicious.

Few broken up bits of crunchie would be nice in there too as only some small pieces in the spread

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

yeah chicken with apples and potatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I have cravings for Weihnachtsplätzchen now thanks to Shenshen's pictures, Vaillekipferl and Hildaplätzchen are my faves, too. I also love Heidesand and Spritzgebackenes, I hope my mother will make some for when I'm going home!

• Advertisement

Choc caramel torte, theres a thick layer of caramel in there somewhere too.... :)
    That's it for me now while I finish off the christmas stuff....

435366.png

435364.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

DQUMU4uWsAA8kjZ.jpg:small
    Baked a bunch of different cookies lately. Plain with chocolate chip. Peanut butter with chocolate chip. Pictured: ginger cookies (less than 30min out of the oven and there's a few missing already...)

Wife forgot that a friend is coming over tomorrow, so a few quickfire scones were on the cards :)

20171205_233943_800x600.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

At the moment, there are cheesecakes in the oven. Later today it will be bagels, empanadas, and if I'm feeling special, a mandarine chiffon cake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Cocksy

i baked potatoes with bacon and cheese

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here has made/is planning on baking for some of their Christmas gifts this year. I'm planning on baking for a few of my presents as it's a bit more personal (and I hate shopping!). Looking for ideas- I'm planning on biscuits and fudge but I'd like to include something like truffles either? Ideally something that will keep a little while and doesn't need to be eaten straight away. Most truffle recipes I've seen need to be kept in the fridge and only for a few days.

baked pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here has made/is planning on baking for some of their Christmas gifts this year. I'm planning on baking for a few of my presents as it's a bit more personal (and I hate shopping!). Looking for ideas- I'm planning on biscuits and fudge but I'd like to include something like truffles either? Ideally something that will keep a little while and doesn't need to be eaten straight away. Most truffle recipes I've seen need to be kept in the fridge and only for a few days.

Although not truffles, I can definitely recommend these https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8022/fruity-christmas-biscotti
    They last weeks, once kept airtight and look lovely in little cellophane bags. And the recipe makes loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

french bread with chicken cheese inside

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Cornbread... simple & delish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Birthday cake

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Any fool proof recipes for chocolate cake? Something sweet rather than dark as it's for kids. If it contains self raising flour all the better as it would save me a trip to the shop. Needs two layers so nothing too fudgy.
    I'm not finding anything I want to try online. Could someone point me in the right direction please.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Whispered wrote: »
    Any fool proof recipes for chocolate cake? Something sweet rather than dark as it's for kids. If it contains self raising flour all the better as it would save me a trip to the shop. Needs two layers so nothing too fudgy.
    I'm not finding anything I want to try online. Could someone point me in the right direction please.

Have a look at jaynes patisserie...she has some lovely cake recipes. The sponge mix I used for the cake I made above was from her Victoria sponge. And she does have some chocolate cake recipes too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I can't access it right now but I have a recipe for an "American Chocolate Cake". I used to make it when I was about 14 so it's very simple. It's a sandwich cake so you can put icing inbetween or whipped cream and strawberries or whatever you want. The only thing I remember about the recipe for sure was that it uses oil instead of butter which gives it a really moist spongy texture.

I can post the recipe in the morning if you don't find something else in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I didnt bake it but i ate enough it. My daughter baked a lemon drizzle cake yesterday. Delicious as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

https://charlotteslivelykitchen.com/chocolate-birthday-cake/

I've made that one a few times, the chocolate and vanilla versions and also adapted to make a coffee cake. Has gone down well with everyone!

Baked some more treacle brown earlier

IMG_20171209_WA0005_800x450.jpg

Separately, also baked some baguettes for a starter for my dad's birthday

20171209_161556_800x600.jpg

...which became bruscetta!

20171209_215621_600x800.jpg

Third batch of Plaetzchen : These are made with ground pecan nuts, stuck together with Nutella and marzipan, and topped with chocolate.

QjSXt5y.jpg

backed salmon with lemon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 SummerHaze

I love baking!! I don't always have a chance to bake, or the energy, but it's one of my hobbies I enjoy most!
    Yesterday I baked two kinds of cookies and then shared them with a couple neighbours and brought my parents a bunch. It was so nice to spend some time baking again.

Advertisement