Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Made some Christmas cookies last week, tried some fancy icing for the first time (piping borders, flooding icing). It was a bit sloppy but I was using freezer bags with the corner snipped off. Anyone know of where I could get squeezy bottles for the flooding icing? Have seen them recommended online but would like to get them before Christmas to try again so bricks and mortar shop would suit better. Also I like being able to reuse them rather than dumping loads of disposable piping bags. I have a fabric piping bag for buttercream and choux things but it's a pain to clean!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Made some Christmas cookies last week, tried some fancy icing for the first time (piping borders, flooding icing). It was a bit sloppy but I was using freezer bags with the corner snipped off. Anyone know of where I could get squeezy bottles for the flooding icing? Have seen them recommended online but would like to get them before Christmas to try again so bricks and mortar shop would suit better. Also I like being able to reuse them rather than dumping loads of disposable piping bags. I have a fabric piping bag for buttercream and choux things but it's a pain to clean!

The €2 shops have sets with two squeezy bottles and red baskets with napkins, I think they're a fiver each. Last time I was in Homebase they had the white squeezy bottles in the barbecue section. I think they two or three euro each and were better quality than the €2 shop ones.
    They're all large bottles, but if you're looking for small ones Homestore & More have them:
    https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/cake-icing+decorating/sweetly-does-it-icing-bottle-set-2pc/invt/057203

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

The €2 shops have sets with two squeezy bottles and red baskets with napkins, I think they're a fiver each. Last time I was in Homebase they had the white squeezy bottles in the barbecue section. I think they two or three euro each and were better quality than the €2 shop ones.
    They're all large bottles, but if you're looking for small ones Homestore & More have them:
    https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/cake-icing+decorating/sweetly-does-it-icing-bottle-set-2pc/invt/057203

That's brilliant, thanks a million Dizzyblonde. I was in HS&M yesterday and didn't see them but that place kind of addles me with all the baking gear! Have printed out the voucher for collection anyway so if the next batch are any more presentable I'll stick a pic up here.

Some of the cooking club's lemon drizzle cake.

IMG_20171213_WA0020_800x450.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I hadn't baked in aaages and you were all making me jealous. So I made frangipane topped mince pies today, and a small Bakewell tart with the leftover pastry and frangipane :)

IMG_3493.jpg

• Advertisement

Did some of my Christmas gift baking today- vanilla fudge and chocolate peanut brittle cookies all packaged up :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

DRmqFjGW0AEb5bG.jpg:small
    DRmqqaZXcAAf4ei.jpg:small
    Salt caramels with pecans in dark chocolate (usually do peanuts but haven't got to the shops yet). Spiced Madeira cake to bring to work then tomorrow. Not pictured, cherry and almond fudge (candies are for giving to family)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

Baked a sourdough today, using 85% bread flour and 15% medium rye flour.
    The recipe: http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/sourdough-white-with-rye-20181

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

The children in my class asked me to take part in their Kris Kindle. We had to bake or make something so I made this for one of the kids. I wish I’d had more time to perfect it but she was thrilled with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Rick and Morty biscuits as part of himselfs Christmas present.

436935.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Baked two of these this morning. One to bring to dinner and the other is a gift.

437045.JPG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Staph wrote: »
    Baked two of these this morning. One to bring to dinner and the other is a gift.

437045.JPG

Yule log is something I always intend to make but have never gotten round to it :D

I made a chocolate mousse and caramel cake...wasn't going to bring it as my family always find something to criticise about my baking, or just won't eat it at all. While my colleagues and friends clamber over each other to get to stuff I bake...gotta love family support, wha? :rolleyes:
    Sure enough, one of my brothers told me that the biscuit base was 'too hard'
    It was same as a cheesecake base...digestives and melted butter...can't exactly make it 'softer' :rolleyes:
    Anyway, mousse cake was delicious, mum, dad, sister in law loved it...other brother who 'doesn't like caramel' loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I had the In-Laws coming around today and since the MIL doesn't like chocolate (made a log) I whipped up some Orange shortbread, the 5 ingredients recipe from Jamie Oliver. Super easy and really tasty treat!

Some baguettes to have as bruschetta for some friends visiting today

20171227_123936_600x800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I had bananas left that were on the verge of going, so I tried a banana bread brownie recipe. I halved the sugar in it but now my house smells divine!

LirW wrote: »
    I had bananas left that were on the verge of going, so I tried a banana bread brownie recipe. I halved the sugar in it but now my house smells divine!

Is there anything better than the smell of baking? I rarely use my oven unless I'm baking so if I'm using it for cooking something else, it starts out smelling like baking. Love it. :D

I made a double decker cheesecake today, inspired by the new double decker chocolate spread :D

Base made from chocolate and rice crispies, nougat layer of marshmallow cheesecake (also melted some of the nougat from double deckers in here but think that is going to leave lumps of hard/chewy nougat :( ) and a dark choc layer.
    Might melt down each side of the spread and drizzle over the top when I take it out tomorrow.
    5060391622804_280_IDShot_3__91579.1512725143.jpg?c=2

Some pics...was going to do suiqqles of both sides of the spread on top of it. But got a text while I was doing the chocolate one, jumped and squeezed the bag as I was doing the choc one...so had to spread it again (this is why my phone is usually on silent :pac: )
    So, spread out the choc layer and then tried to do neat lines with the nougat layer...not to plan :)

Rice krispie base didn't work out as I'd have liked...bit too hard to break through, but was straight out of fridge when I tried it.

Marshallow/nougat layer...delicious...chock layer...delicious...spread on top...delicious. Made the chocolate layer with extra dark chocolate as had some chocolate in with the marshmallow for that layer to help it melt so wanted to needed the darkness of the dark choc to help differentiate the layers. Worked out really well, colours match the spread colours nicely. :)
    Mostly happy with how it turned out but will try again. Might just leave the spread out of it next time and try something else for cheesecake base

That looks amazing :)

Made two cakes for a New Years/birthday party which were appropriately clock themed! The first cake is chocolate fudge with salted caramel cupcakes, and the second is chocolate biscuit cake with prosecco and gin and tonic flavoured cupcakes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OOoooooo!

IMG_3159.jpg

Awwww

IMG_3160.jpg

The egg wash ran down the side of the loaf and glued the base to the tin :( Tastes good, though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

kylith wrote: »
    OOoooooo!

The egg wash ran down the side of the loaf and glued the base to the tin :( Tastes good, though.

What is it Kylith? Bread?

What is it Kylith? Bread?

Sorry, should have said; it's oatmeal bread. Don't think I'd bother with the egg wash in future. I think it's a bit of an American thing, and not really worth using an egg over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

kylith wrote: »
    Sorry, should have said; it's oatmeal bread. Don't think I'd bother with the egg wash in future. I think it's a bit of an American thing, and not really worth using an egg over.

How did it taste? Would you share the recipe please?

Peanut butter & chocolate fondant.

20180113_194000_800x600.jpg

Himself's mother gave me some sourdough starter so I made a loaf. My goodness it's tangy.

It went down so well that I had to start another loaf last night cos someone won't stop eating it.

IMG_3184.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭treenytru

Had 2 bananas and an apple that were on the turn so it had to be muffins:)

Hope the workmates like them!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gaia Mother Earth

Dónal wrote: »
    Peanut butter & chocolate fondant.

20180113_194000_800x600.jpg

I would rarely bake but peanut butter just gets me every time. Could you share the recipe or one you would recommend for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I made a chocolate cake for the first time yesterday - it was lovely but I forgot to take a pic. I didn’t have time to let my icing cool down properly so could only put on a thin layer as it was running off but even with that it was lovely, must give it another go next weekend

• Advertisement

Bit of a carby weekend:

Baguettes yesterday morning
    IMG_20180127_WA0001_600x1067.jpg

And then I finally made sourdough (First time) using the sourdough starter I made from yogurt about three weeks ago.
    20180128_194930_800x600.jpg

God I love carbs.

Advertisement