Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

I would rarely bake but peanut butter just gets me every time. Could you share the recipe or one you would recommend for this?

I used this recipe this time: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/peanut_butter_fondants_62758

Second attempt at lemon meringue pie. First attempt was a failure because the lemon curd separated into a watery mess in the oven. This one is a recipe from Jane's Patisserie that browns the top of the meringue under the grill (well, ideally you'd use a blowtorch but I don't have one!) rather than baking the whole thing so it turned out perfect!

Second attempt at lemon meringue pie. First attempt was a failure because the lemon curd separated into a watery mess in the oven. This one is a recipe from Jane's Patisserie that browns the top of the meringue under the grill (well, ideally you'd use a blowtorch but I don't have one!) rather than baking the whole thing so it turned out perfect!

Piratequeen, you inspired me to give meringue a go - I tried a recipe to make lemon meringue pie bars earlier. Tasty, but the meringue was more marshmallow than meringue.

20180131_200119_800x600.jpg

Dónal wrote: »
    Piratequeen, you inspired me to give meringue a go - I tried a recipe to make lemon meringue pie bars earlier. Tasty, but the meringue was more marshmallow than meringue.

20180131_200119_800x600.jpg

Well the meringue in lemon meringue pie is meant to be soft with just the top bit set, not like the drier meringues that you'd buy in the shops (I don't really like those!). Marshmallowy is kind of the texture I was aiming for anyway! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Inspired by Dònal, i’ve been trying to perfect Paul Hollywood’s baguettes. Finding the dough really difficult to work with and I might need to find a YouTube video cos his instructions are a bit meh.

Here’s attempt no. 2

149_DEAEF-73_F6-4_F25-845_D-_BAD182_F7_EE17.jpg

Edit: Tasted lovely though and great texture! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Did a bumper cookie batch at the weekend...only have my instagram
    at the mo...will put up the brownies from last night later and put up proper pics of cookies (not sure if linking to instagram is accepted around here I only use it to tease my friends when I bake :) )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bumper batch of cookies baked on Sunday...(actually did two batches as one of the ingredients you'd have to halve to make one batch and other half would just get thrown out)

And quadruple choc brownies last night. These are one of my favourite things to make.

*pics to big to embed*

Second batch of sourdough (frozen from last week) but cooked in a Dutch oven this time. Probably a tad over baked but still very tasty.

20180203_183315_800x450.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Apologies for the presentation of the cake - was taken in a rush this morning. Marble cake - tried to go for Orange flavoured, but didn't commit enough. Only used orange chocolate so not a strong enough flavour. Need to use juice, zest, or essence, I think. Tasty though.

440703.jpg

440704.jpg

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

wbq33dI.jpg
    Seeded soda bread with pumpkin seeds (and some pumpkin seed oil, to really bring out the flavour.

• Advertisement

Some healthy* peanut butter oat cookies

20180205_205854_800x450.jpg

* contains 1/4 cup of brown sugar, but healthier than normal!

Some healthy* peanut butter oat cookies

20180205_205854_800x450.jpg

* contains 1/4 cup of brown sugar, but healthier than normal!

Sounds yummy, I'd love a recipe! :)

Thanks! Did you specifically use natural peanut butter or will regular peanut butter work too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Shenshen would you mind posting the recipe for the pumkin seed bread? looks amazing!

Thanks! Did you specifically use natural peanut butter or will regular peanut butter work too?

I went with cheap peanut butter for this (no chunks), but both should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

might be of interest
    zell12 wrote: »
    DunnesStores until 07 Feb
    GnGh6yV.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

First time baking white bread... still waiting for it to cool so we can taste it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

First time baking white bread... still waiting for it to cool so we can taste it

It's something mankind has been doing for thousands of years but still a landmark achievement in everybody's life! Congrats!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made wheaten bread this afternoon.

IMG_3720.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Shenshen would you mind posting the recipe for the pumkin seed bread? looks amazing!

Sure - I got it from a Frenchman during a baking class in Waterford :D

350g wholemeal flour
    50g white flour
    100g porridge oats
    500ml buttermilk
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 good pinch of salt
    2 eggs
    2 tbsp of pumpkin seed oil
    handful of pumpkin seeds to go in the mix, and another handful to sprinkle on top

Line a baking tin with baking paper, pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
    Mix all the ingredients together and pour into the tin. Sprinkle on some more pumpkin seeds, then place in the oven for 1 hour.
    After 1 hour, take the bread out of the tin, and place it back into the oven for another 20 minutes at the same temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

rubadub wrote: »
    might be of interest
    Will definitely have to get a few of those. We use it a lot in peanut stews. It's one of two that i'll buy cos they have no palm oil (Sun Pat being the other). Shame it's not much good on toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

rubadub wrote: »
    might be of interest
    Will definitely have to get a few of those. We use it a lot in peanut stews. It's one of two that i'll buy cos they have no palm oil (Sun Pat being the other). Shame it's not much good on toast.

Daughter refused to finish her banana earlier, so I made banana muffins when I got home from work. I double checked and my logic definitely makes sense.

20180207_193302_800x600.jpg

Made these last night as a belated celebration of 'world Nutella day' :P

Nutella Millionaire's shortbread ; chocolate shortbread with Nutella flavoured caramel topped with Nutella and sprinkles! They taste amazing and very indulgent!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Started a new job in January, apparently they do a tea and treats at the monthly meeting.. what better way to get people to like you than feed them right? I did choc chip cookies and raspberry mint brownies. I never have luck with brownies, but this recipe is divine.. just like Subway cookies!

image.png

image.png

And after two weeks (having forgotten one day :o ) of feeding my sourdough 'Colin', he treated us to this today :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Needed to cheer myself up because of the crappy weather and Sunday blues. (cancer treatment week this week. :() So I made a little orange-lemon drizzle cake. Despite liking lemons, hubs and I find pure lemon drizzle cake too acrid but we love the moistness of it so I mix a little lemon juice with orange juice to make it less sharp. Think I’m going to try one with cloudy apple juice and lemon juice next. I always think the drizzle will make the cake soggy and I’m always amazed when that doesn’t happen.

Anyway... success!

01_A1_A11_B-027_D-43_CD-_A036-3_C7_B0_B61_A16_C.jpg

FAB68_FA0-_E148-417_E-8444-_C4416_BB0_AF9_E.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Best of luck with the treatment _Dara_ :)

A 'pancake-cake' I've been looking forward to making since last pancake day...my favourite day of the year!

Fluffy pancakes (not American style, more like crepes but made with self raising flour), layer with chocolate & hazelnut ganache and vanilla cream, covered with more vanilla cream and hazelnuts!

• Advertisement

A 'pancake-cake' I've been looking forward to making since last pancake day...my favourite day of the year!

Fluffy pancakes (not American style, more like crepes but made with self raising flour), layer with chocolate & hazelnut ganache and vanilla cream, covered with more vanilla cream and hazelnuts!

Holy crepe, that looks amazing!!!!!!!!

Advertisement