Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

It's pi day today!

So I was going to add an "e" and bake one, but can't really decide on what kind - any suggestions? It would have to be something I can do when I get home from work, so nothing that would take 3 hours plus decorating time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

I wanted to try out something different and made Spelt and Honey bread. I wanted to experiment with different sizes and used I think was a 23cm Spring load cake tin. Ended up being too wide and the height was a little on the small side.
    Still tasty though.

attachment.php?attachmentid=445520

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's pi day today!

So I was going to add an "e" and bake one, but can't really decide on what kind - any suggestions? It would have to be something I can do when I get home from work, so nothing that would take 3 hours plus decorating time.

Lemon meringue pie is pretty quick, especially if you buy in the lemon curd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

...or apple pie! It's the quickest pie in the world to make, and you could have it with custard - perfect for a miserable day like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

I've been a silent follower of this thread however yesterday I baked Choc chip muffins and Oatmeal cookies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Got home, checked what I had available in the cupboards and decided on a jam tart (it's got a lattice pastry topping, so that makes it a pie in my book) :

Eez7NRw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Jam tarts bring me back to my childhood with my Mammy. They never looked as beautiful as yours. I'd use left over pastry from an apple tart and I'd make it in a saucer and I loved them. The memories are good

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My reentry into baking last week? scones. Not baked for literally years but before that everything was home made

Ate the last scone y'day as I froze them in 2s. Planning today to make more.... After that, who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Graces7 wrote: »
    My reentry into baking last week? scones. Not baked for literally years but before that everything was home made

Ate the last scone y'day as I froze them in 2s. Planning today to make more.... After that, who knows!

Do we say sc-owns or sc-ons? :)

Sc-owns here......

Sc-owns here......

Sc-ons I am Lancashire lass and we tend not to talk posh;)

But a scone by any other pronunciation...

• Advertisement

Made the mistake of scrolling the posts and I am literally drooling! I always used to make a seven layer cake for Easter, won prizes for my baking.... Donations always welcome here! I love cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Graces7 wrote: »
    Sc-ons I am Lancashire lass and we tend not to talk posh;)
    That is interesting, in Ireland I would have thought the opposite, people saying "sc-on" were trying to sound posh. When someone has pronounced it sc-on I have heard people put on an upper class english accent taking the piss out of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scone
    The Oxford Dictionaries explain that there are also regional and class differences in England connected with the different pronunciations:

There are two possible pronunciations of the word scone: the first rhymes with gone and the second rhymes with tone. In US English, the pronunciation rhyming with tone is more common. In British English, the two pronunciations traditionally have different regional and class associations, with the first pronunciation associated with the north of England, while the second is associated with the south.

rubadub wrote: »
    That is interesting, in Ireland I would have thought the opposite, people saying "sc-on" were trying to sound posh. When someone has pronounced it sc-on I have heard people put on an upper class english accent taking the piss out of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scone

Language is a strange thing indeed. lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sc-owns here......

Sc-owns here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Sc-owns here.

I didn’t doubt it for a minute! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Made these yogurt scones....was a bit worried how they would taste, but they're actually not bad for a low fat option.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Made these yogurt scones....was a bit worried how they would taste, but they're actually not bad for a low fat option.

Do you have a recipe? They look like a scone with donut glaze on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

cefh17 wrote: »
    Do you have a recipe? They look like a scone with donut glaze on it :D

I used a big tub of low fat greek style yogurt and washed and dried the tub, and then filled with self raising flour (A tub and a half of this) works out at about 450g of self raising flour, and a teaspoon of baking powder and then raisins/fruit or whatever you want to add into it. Mix it all together and roll out. It's quite a sticky mixture so I wasn't able to use a cutter, so they were just scooped out with a spoon onto a baking tray and into a pre heated oven 180' for 15/20 mins.

So they taste really good. With the yogurt I used they turned out a bit tarty if u get me, sorta more savoury than sweet, nice with butter.

I've heard ppl using flavoured low fat/full fat yogurt (strawberry, peach....whatever) and heard great things about them but greek was all I had, so next time I'll try flavoured yogurt to see how that works.

I made 12 decent sized scones with that recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Last night I did a little batch of manakish zaatar flatbreads. Turned out pretty nice and its a lovely soft dough to handle. It's not hard work but I was wreaked tired after the long weekend.

manakish.jpg

Made a few different treats over the last few days;
    Coconut macaroons, rice krispy mini egg nests (it's not Easter without them!) and today some dairy free chocolate chip cookies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

I bought the book "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" a few years ago and frequently make the basic recipe from the book (there are many in the book, but the basic recipe is fast and easy). Nothing smells as good as fresh baked bread in the house. Moreover my daughter and DH love it. Also I ordered special lunch containers on https://allinpackaging.co.uk/food-packaging/ and I feel as if I am saving money and doing something good for the child when I make school lunches using homemade mini baguettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

S4z7WfY.jpg

Chocolate Easter cake from last months Bbcgoodfood magazine

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

S4z7WfY.jpg

Chocolate Easter cake from last months Bbcgoodfood magazine

I've been staring at that on the cover all month now and it looks amazing, and I don't even like chocolate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Haven't been baking much lately. Now trying to create a good apple cupcake...so working through a few attempts to get them the way I want. Made these on Tuesday...didn't have enough butter leftover to make caramel buttercream so just drizzled them with caramel to try. They were lovely just plain and lovely with the caramel on top. :D
    Very little sugar in them because I didn't think they'd need it with the apple as in it's not equal parts sugar and butter. I used 150g of sugar to 225g of butter and sweetness was fine, with the apple in them they had really moistened up the next day and were fine for eating for a few days.

Definitely trying these again to get them how I want, a small dollop of caramel buttercream would go lovely with them I think and more apple, because you can never have enough apple in apple things. :)

447015.png

Didn't get much in the way of easter baking done...but just got photos of these up tonight. Apologies for instagram filters they didn't transfer to icloud so had to screenshot from insta :pac:
    Vanilla cupcakes w/caramel centre and dark choc ganache 'nests'

447179.png
    447180.png

Anyone have recommendations for where to get fondant icing? Looking for a few colours (going to try a hey duggee cake for my daughter's birthday).

Am going to try decobake but would be interested to hear if anywhere else has some in various colours.

Dónal wrote: »
    Anyone have recommendations for where to get fondant icing? Looking for a few colours (going to try a hey duggee cake for my daughter's birthday).

Am going to try decobake but would be interested to hear if anywhere else has some in various colours.
    I've bought fondant online before from bakeworld.ie but usually I buy it from Decobake. Not sure I know of any other bricks & mortar shops with decent colour-selections of fondant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Sugar Sisters would be another one

You could try strictly sugarcraft also.
    http://sugarcraft.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Aren’t sugar sisters what decobake is called now? I’ve ordered from them and they are great! I also use Bakeworld.ie a lot

Advertisement