Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Stuff4cakes is great. Based in Galway but great next day courier delivery for 5 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

When you don’t leave enough time to make Garlic Dough Balls - Garlic & Herb Sofa Bread Buns. :)

90119_C8_C-604_C-4_C6_F-80_EE-_FDE32_DF5372_D.jpg

They don’t look as anemic in real life, thank goodness! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

fermented buckwheat bread with added sunflower seeds, sun dried tomato and herbs. it wont beat your favourite soda breads but not bad.

IMG_20180407_230349707.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Bought some buttermilk back in the great snow, with the intention of baking soda bread. best before date was today so baked some nice scones. Half and half plain and raisin ones. Yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Soon to be three year old has requested a pink cake for her birthday so I was doing a trial run with some new food colour, made a strawberry mascarpone icing and oh my word it is heaven, like strawberry ice cream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Bakewell tart, smothered in custard. Having desert for dinner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Shortbread base and a lemon and lime layer. Sides had 'edges' to stop the citrus mix dripping off before cooking so need bigger slices along the side or to cut edges off otherwise the shortbread to citrusy goodness ratio is all off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

They look gorgeous. Do you have the recipe?

Adapted from the Lola's Forever book just to add some lime juice and zest in as well.

For the base:
    125g butter
    50g caster sugar
    150g plain flour sifted

Lemon Layer:
    3 eggs
    310g caster sugar (yes 310g!)
    1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
    120ml fresh lemon juice
    75g plain flour sifted

8 inch square pan, greased and lined

To Decorate:
    Fresh raspberries
    icing sugar
    • Preheat oven to 180C/gas mark 4
    • Make shortbread first, cream butter and sugar using paddle attachment on stand mixer until well combined (the book says '1-2 mins on medium speed' but y'know, you know when it's done)
    • Add the flour and bring the mixture together. (First time I tried this I brought mixture all together in the bowl then I couldn't get it to cover the base of the tin, second time I kinda brought it together and then put it in tin and patted out to finish off)
    • Take dough slightly up the sides to form a lip
    • Place pan in preheated oven for 15 mins until slightly browned, remove and allow to cool
    • To make the lemon layer, place eggs, sugar, zest and juice in a bowl and gently mix the ingrediants together until smooth.
    • Add the flour and blend into the mixture until fully incorporated
    • Pour the mix onto the cooled base and place back in the oven for 40 - 45 mins
    • Remove from oven when golden brown and leave to cool in tin

Was hard to remove from tin the first time I tried making it as some of the lemon layer drizzled outside the shortbread layer and ended up sticking...nearly ruined my newish tin :(
    So grease and line the pan well and loosen with a knife before attempting to remove.

I'm not a fan of raspberries usually but they went well with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

They look goregous RacoonQueen. I have that book myself so might give them a whirl:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I’ve gone back to my tried and trusted no-knead bread it’s lovely.

I did dabble with sourdough but I don’t think I can be arsed any more. I’ll keep the starter for pancakes (omg, good) but the bread, though tasty, just doesn’t rise as much as I’d like. Looking online ‘dense’ seems to be fairly standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Shortbread base and a lemon and lime layer. Sides had 'edges' to stop the citrus mix dripping off before cooking so need bigger slices along the side or to cut edges off otherwise the shortbread to citrusy goodness ratio is all off :D

Made these today. Thanks for the recipe. I love anything citrus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I followed this receipe for baked cheesecake, swapped strawberries for a raspberry glaze...and digestives in place of crackers..went down a treat....didnt last too long. First time baking a cheesecake and it turned out perfectly.....just keep an eye on oven temp, easy to burn the outside while middle isnt baked through, i followed temp in receipe but had to turn down to 100c for the last 20 mins to make sure i didnt burn it.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/8350/chantals-new-york-cheesecake/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

kylith wrote: »
    I’ve gone back to my tried and trusted no-knead bread it’s lovely.

I did dabble with sourdough but I don’t think I can be arsed any more. I’ll keep the starter for pancakes (omg, good) but the bread, though tasty, just doesn’t rise as much as I’d like. Looking online ‘dense’ seems to be fairly standard.

Is that a white no-knead bread? I make a brown one and it's lovely too. I've decided that for me, life is too short to be making sourdough bread :D

Is that a white no-knead bread? I make a brown one and it's lovely too. I've decided that for me, life is too short to be making sourdough bread :D

How do you make the brown? Just substitute 50% of the flour.

I liked the sourdough taste, but the 2-day faff for a loaf that just wouldn’t rise annoyed me. I like my bread light and springy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

How do you make the brown? Just substitute 50% of the flour.

I liked the sourdough taste, but the 2-day faff for a loaf that just wouldn’t rise annoyed me. I like my bread light and springy.

I use the Ballymaloe recipe, it's very easy and it's a lovely light loaf:http://thelittlemill.ie/blog/2016-01-19-ballymaloe-brown-yeast-bread-recipe/
    In the recipe they use fresh yeast but I use a sachet of dried yeast.

Working on snickers cupcakes again. Made them years ago with just vanilla or choc cupcakes and caramel buttercream with caramel and bits of snickers drizzled on top. Tonight made two batches of cupcake mix...peanut butter and chocolate and tried marbling them...hard to get the peanut flavour though with the choc mixed in so they may work better as just choc or just peanut.

Will decorate tomorrow with caramel and peanut centre and peanut butter
    cream.:D

Going to try the again at the weekend though, maybe use more peanut butter and going to mix up the choc cupcake mix...two mixes were different consistency which made it hard to judge when filling the cases so over filled a few of them but sure thats grand I'm just eating the overfilled ones myself :P

I made the no knead white bread this morning and we had it for lunch. I love it - the texture is quite like sourdough.

IMG_4085.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Do you make yours in a dutch oven or so? It has an amazing shape!
    I used my clay pot from the slow cooker in the past and it works out well but I'd like to step it up.

My cast iron pot is in the attic because I hate the weight of it, so I made it in a Pyrex casserole dish.

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    Do you make yours in a dutch oven or so? It has an amazing shape!
    I used my clay pot from the slow cooker in the past and it works out well but I'd like to step it up.
    That's how I do mine. I preheat it with the oven until it's ripping hot. Bake with lid on for 30 minutes and lid off for 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just started mine, looking forward to tomorrow afternoon already. This could become a daily ritual. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

That's how I do mine. I preheat it with the oven until it's ripping hot. Bake with lid on for 30 minutes and lid off for 15.

I used to do my sourdoughs like that, but had greater success just cooking them in a Pyrex dish without a lid and firing in a cup of hot water to an empty tray to create the steam. Did you ever try that with yours out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

cefh17 wrote:
    I used to do my sourdoughs like that, but had greater success just cooking them in a Pyrex dish without a lid and firing in a cup of hot water to an empty tray to create the steam. Did you ever try that with yours out of interest?

I use a very similar method for my sourdough. I have some unglazed terracotta tiles which I use as baking stones. I put my pyrex dishes on top of the tiles & put the grill on full whack for 15mins. Then switch to oven max temp until thermostat flicks off. Loaves go into the pyrex dishes bar one which I use to put a cup of boiling water in for steam. I also use a few squirts from a spray bottle before closing the oven door.
    The loaves come out of the dishes half way thru & sit on the hot tiles until done.
    Lovely crispy tasty crust.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

Now I am trying to bake a cherry cake with caramel sauce

Mini bread puddings. No idea what they taste like yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Currently baking my first ever attempt at a cheese cake. Specifically the "Cheesecake bars with berries" from smitten kitchen. The cheese layer stage has just gone into the oven and I am stressing over how it is going to come out :) Wish me luck.

Cant get Digestive biscuits over here so had to resort to a similar looking German equivilant called "DeBeukelaer Cereola Der Klassiker". While Edeka Supermarket stores over here stocked McVities Digestives over here for some time, they seem to have inconveniently stopped doing so in only the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Currently baking my first ever attempt at a cheese cake. Specifically the "Cheesecake bars with berries" from smitten kitchen. The cheese layer stage has just gone into the oven and I am stressing over how it is going to come out :) Wish me luck.

Cant get Digestive biscuits over here so had to resort to a similar looking German equivilant called "DeBeukelaer Cereola Der Klassiker". While Edeka Supermarket stores over here stocked McVities Digestives over here for some time, they seem to have inconveniently stopped doing so in only the last few weeks.
    That looks nice, dont forget to put the berries on after it comes out of the oven

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Ok just came out of the oven and it looks.... concerning at the moment. Maybe it will look better when it has cooled or when I take it out of the baking tray. But it looks to me like it expanded a little too much and almost rose to three times the height it was going in. Is that normal? It is my first cheese cake after all :)

Advertisement