Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

finally mastered sourdough bread :pac:
    after 6 weeks and many mistakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭sdp

Pavlova
    [IMG][/img]otm9mw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

finally mastered sourdough bread :pac:
    after 6 weeks and many mistakes!

Would love your recipe, it looks perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wanted to use up some of the ingredients we have in our baking press so made these coconut and sultana muffins

Still have loads of dried fruit and dessicated coconut left though....

A quick bake this morning after the dog got me up early: banana muffins, made with a single leftover banana. Look fine but taste devine.

20180819_094135_800x600.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

leahyl wrote: »
    Wanted to use up some of the ingredients we have in our baking press so made these coconut and sultana muffins

Still have loads of dried fruit and dessicated coconut left though....

Check out some recipes for Anzac biscuits, they’re coconut based and delicious!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Cupcakes with cream cheese icing for my daughter's baby shower. I baked them and my other daughter did the piping :)

39510456_10217055642132307_643933851004960768_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Small beginnings.. have not baked for a long time but made simple scones this week and they are delicious..will progress to cakes soon.. used to bake for a living but illness etc stopped me..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Been messing around with salted caramel brownies for a while. Finding it hard to get the baking time right really. First time I tried, the caramel just baked into the brownies so while they were delicious and moist, you didn't get that distinct layer of caramel. Next time they were way too soft and soggy and not really edible as the brownie part didn't cook fully in the centre of the tin, I didn't leave them in long enough as was worried the caramel would just bake in again.

So now to get the distinct layer and still be able to slice them without them falling apart I decided to try baking a layer of brownie for 20 mins until it was just solid enough to hold the caramel, take it out, put on caramel layer and then another layer of brownie batter. So worked out much better now but could probably do with another 5 mins or so in the oven. Brownie part is more cakey than fudgey so will probably mess around with it a little more as I like fudgey brownies. Want to use these as my base for snickers brownies so this needs to be perfect before the peanut nougat and ganache layers :D

Capture.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Sounds incredible, RacoonQueen.

Made this yesterday - mint choc marble cake. Tastes good, but did have to take the knife to it to get rid of some...crispyness! Recipe said to bake for 55mins, but was still wet in the centre. Should have taken the advice from the comments of sticking tinfoil on top and baking for a bit longer. But was in a rush (tsk tsk) and just whacked it back in for another 10. Twas cooked, but a bit too well in parts!

459067.jpg

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I was gifted a massive bag of apples this week. Way too many for us to eat so I'm now the proud owner of a full saucepan of stewed apple. I'll probably freeze some, and make a few apple tarts and Bakewell tarts with apple in place of jam, but any suggestions for something different would be welcome because I make those a good bit already and we'll be well sick of them by the time we finish this lot!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've never tried these and they use dried apple so might not be suitable but they looked and sounded delicious - Nadiya's Apple Rocky Road Bars

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aandy

Dairy Free French Toast, orange flavour
    https://www.joyofkosher.com/recipes/dairy-free-french-toast/

non-dairy-french-toast.webp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I was gifted a massive bag of apples this week. Way too many for us to eat so I'm now the proud owner of a full saucepan of stewed apple. I'll probably freeze some, and make a few apple tarts and Bakewell tarts with apple in place of jam, but any suggestions for something different would be welcome because I make those a good bit already and we'll be well sick of them by the time we finish this lot!

Apple & blackberry crumble?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Can't bate a bit of stewed apple and custard with optional crushed digestive biscuit

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

We went blackberrying this evening with the children. While we didnt have enough for the blackberry pie that the 5yr old insisted on we compromised on a blackberry sponge. Served up with a sqidge of custard. It went down a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Had a hankering for some savoury scones, I don't have a sweet tooth apart from dark, dark chocolate so Cheese and onion scones were on the hitlist.
    I used the Guardians recipe but ran short of scallions so I used up some shallots as well.
    The whole thing takes minutes to make and were consumed very quickly.
    If anyone feels like the recipe its here
    I might make another batch today with a little wholemeal flour instead of just plain SR.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Made another batch today, used some mature Cheese and a finely diced green chilli for some extra kick.
    No shallots today just scallions and I probably could have use more of them (5 used)459385.jpg
    Didn't eggwash either, couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Made another apple and blackberry crumble today. Have loads of cookers and blackberries in our garden so plenty of crumble here. Had it with ice cream today. Cream the last day. Must chop up and freeze them. Way too many to store.
    Love crumble though:)

• Advertisement

Made another apple and blackberry crumble today. Have loads of cookers and blackberries in our garden so plenty of crumble here. Had it with ice cream today. Cream the last day. Must chop up and freeze them. Way too many to store.
    Love crumble though:)

You could make apple jelly - it's easier than jam and lovely on toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I've also the biggest ever bag of apples.

Would love to make chutney!

Anyone any decent easy recipes?

Last year I made this one - it tasted like a chutney version of Christmas mincemeat: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104689606&postcount=8348

Mystery Egg made this one which looks much nicer:https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105307483&postcount=8528

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thanks dizzy blonde and mystery egg.

Made mystery eggs recipe at weekend.! Put in 1.5 tsp chilli as 4 would be too much. Made 4 full jars to go away for Christmas and eating the rest now. Even just a couple of days later, it's gorgeous.

I decided to bake along with Bake Off this year as I've a bit more free time at the moment! I made last week's wagon wheels, turned out pretty good but I don't agree with the steps of Paul's recipe, which tells you to make the marshmallow then the biscuit. My marshmallow was set before the biscuits were in the oven! I'd reverse those steps and it'd be better.

Week 2 of bake off, decided to make the showstopper chocolate collar cake rather than faff around with that green cake they made for technical.

Made a hazelnut genoise sponge, filled with white chocolate mousse and raspberries, and decorated with more raspberries, hazelnut praline and a milk chocolate collar. The sponge and collar were mostly ok aside from the pattern of the chocolate not transferring properly. However I had awful trouble with the mousse and it still wasn't right in the end. The first time I folded whipped cream and melted white chocolate together, all fine, but when I folded in the egg whites it completely separated /curdled into a disgusting mess. I thought maybe the chocolate was too warm when I added it so the second time I made sure it was room temperature before adding it and it went a bit better but still slightly separated when I added the egg whites, leaving it with a grainy texture. I used it anyway and it's not that noticeable,tastes fine in the cake, but does anyone know where I'm going wrong? Happened a previous time I made white chocolate mousse as well!

That looks fabulous piratequeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Can't offer any advice. It looks incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Before this recent episode I swear I've never ever seen, or heard of, a recipe for Wagon Wheels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I always thought wagon wheels came out in the 80s, maybe late 70s, until I was scoffing them in work (and being scoffed at myself for eating "kids sweets" by some) and an older guy said he had them as a kid, likely in the 50s or 60s.
    The biscuits were launched at the 1948 Olympia Food Fair.[1] The name (originally "Weston Wagon Wheels") relates to the shape of the biscuits and capitalized on the Wild West, which was popular in mass media at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagon_Wheels

I remember them being sold singly and being the odd inbetween item cheaper than normal bars (twix etc) but more expensive than the ones around half their price (chomp, big time, mallow dolphins). Another in the inbetween price range was the catch bar.

catchlogo2016.png

More on topic, not baked but I would recommend pancakes with yogurt, esp. greek yogurt. There are recipes with yogurt for pizza bases too (non knead)

Advertisement