Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Threw these in the oven tonight, Bacon, cheddar and spring onion scones.
    I used some wholemeal in these as well, recipe called for 1.75 cups of SR flour I used 1.5 and the rest Wholemeal flour.
    Bacon improves a lot of things and I think scones are no exception.
    460878.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭sdp

Veg healthy muffins and not so healthy apple tart,:)
    [IMG][/img]2hz036x.jpg
    2s82t8l.jpg
    2mq6li9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Mmmmm, Apple tart

🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Apple sponge tray bake.

IMG_5013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Can you provide a recipe for the apple tray bake please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Staph wrote: »

Can you also tell us how you got them exactly to size? Something I'm not able to do with traybakes!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Staph wrote: »

This made enough for one tin 31cm x 23 cm, and a little one in an 8 inch/20 cm sandwich tin.

For the base:
    225g of self raising flour (just because I hadn't got plain)
    115g of butter or margarine. I personally prefer margarine for shortcrust pastry
    Rub together then add enough water to form a dough, knead lightly and wrap in clingfilm. Leave to rest in the fridge for 20 minutes, then roll out and put it in the greased & lined tins. Prick with a fork and bake for 8-10 minutes at 180C. Remove, leave to cool and lower the heat to 160C.

I stewed 4 cooking apples with a little water and added sugar gradually until the apple was still a little bit tart.

Sponge:
    Weigh 3 eggs in their shells, then weigh out the same amount of self raising flour, caster sugar and butter.
    Soften the butter then beat with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour, eggs and a tsp of vanilla extract and beat just until it's mixed. You might need to add a tablespoon of milk to get it to a dropping consistency.

Spread the apple on the base, then put dollops of the sponge mix over the top and use a fork to lightly bring it together and cover the apple without mixing it in.
    Bake for around 40 minutes.
    Leave it to cool completely in the tins.

Can you also tell us how you got them exactly to size? Something I'm not able to do with traybakes!!

I'm useless at cutting them! I just picked the best few for the photo - the others were either bigger or smaller :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I'm a messy baker, but they usually turn out alright! :D
    First of the apple tarts.

DnEF182WsAASfov.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm useless at cutting them! I just picked the best few for the photo - the others were either bigger or smaller :o

I just take a ruler out and measure them :) usually cut them 2 x 2 to get nice big chunks :D

• Advertisement

Had a tiny bit of time and a chocolate craving so I made double chocolate muffins from here . Had no buttermilk so used a tablespoon of lemon juice in with the milk. Pretty happy with them.

20180916_172208_800x600.jpg

Bake off week 3 : naans! These were really tasty but I tried to make them alongside food for a dinner party so I was a bit rushed in the kitchen and burned the first 3 breads by not paying enough attention to them. But they weren't that difficult to make, and I'm sure they would have been even better if I had dedicated more attention to them. Definitely nicer having fresh bread over the store bought ones!

Bake off week 3 : naans! These were really tasty but I tried to make them alongside food for a dinner party so I was a bit rushed in the kitchen and burned the first 3 breads by not paying enough attention to them. But they weren't that difficult to make, and I'm sure they would have been even better if I had dedicated more attention to them. Definitely nicer having fresh bread over the store bought ones!

Looks great! What recipe did you use - did you go for one with baking soda or yeast?

Dónal wrote: »
    Looks great! What recipe did you use - did you go for one with baking soda or yeast?

I had planned to make them this weekend anyway and had originally found a yeast recipe to use, but went with the baking powder one from the gbbo website after watching the episode. The texture was fine, but I think I'll try the yeast version next time and compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Have a bake sale in work tomorrow so decided to try some new recipes. I normally make chocolate cake pops or banana bread or the like. This time I made mini lemon meringue pies. They were SO fiddly. So awkward to make but taste unreal. Used the recipe for cupcake Jemma on YouTube (https://youtu.be/1dXKtfgxw6c).

I think next time I’ll do one big tart rather than individual ones.

Also made a tray bake of Brookies. These taste incredible, it’s chocolate chip cookie dough baked in to brownie batter. So rich and chocolatey. A cupcake Jemma recipe again! The recipe called for only 20mins in the oven but this was not nearly long enough. The cookie dough goes in frozen so it was nearly 35 mins before they were baked properly and even then they were quite fudgey in the middle.

Using a blow torch when baking is both terrifying and my new favourite thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Have a bake sale in work tomorrow so decided to try some new recipes. I normally make chocolate cake pops or banana bread or the like. This time I made mini lemon meringue pies. They were SO fiddly. So awkward to make but taste unreal. Used the recipe for cupcake Jemma on YouTube (https://youtu.be/1dXKtfgxw6c).

Also made a tray bake of Brookies. These taste incredible, it’s chocolate chip cookie dough baked in to brownie batter. So rich and chocolatey. A cupcake Jemma recipe again! The recipe called for only 20mins in the oven but this was not nearly long enough. The cookie dough goes in frozen so it was nearly 35 mins before they were baked properly and even then they were quite fudgey in the middle.

Using a blow torch when baking is both terrifying and my new favourite thing to do.

Wow lemon meringues look amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Wow lemon meringues look amazing

Literally gasped and said SO PRETTY to them through my screen :P

Amazing job on the meringue browning!

B0jangles wrote: »

Thanks :) i caved a bought a chefs torch to use for the browning. I read online about doing it under the grill but it took me the guts of two evenings to make these that I just I couldn’t risk ruining them at the last step.

B0jangles wrote: »

Thanks :) i caved a bought a chefs torch to use for the browning. I read online about doing it under the grill but it took me the guts of two evenings to make these that I just I couldn’t risk ruining them at the last step.

I've done meringue under the grill before, it never comes out as nice as the blowtorch as the heat is applied too evenly so it browns the whole top rather than just the edges, blowtorch is much better!

I got all excited when saw some lemon meringue pies on megafanmonday on her instagram, then I clicked and it wasn't you :(

• Advertisement

I got all excited when saw some lemon meringue pies on megafanmonday on her instagram, then I clicked and it wasn't you :(

Damn it I was aiming for #Megafanmonday!! Must try harder next time...

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

There was a bake sale for Pupcake Day (Dogs Trust) in work, so whipped up these! Salted caramel icing with buttons, and chocolate icing with marshmallows (a pain to try to make the paws out of)

463027.jpg

463028.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I made a German baked vanilla and chocolate cheesecake.
    Well, I actually made two, as German recipes tend to be for BIG cakes. So one went straight into the freezer, the other one got eaten.

t0fSRsy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Shenshen wrote: »
    Well, I actually made two, as German recipes tend to be for BIG cakes. So one went straight into the freezer, the other one got eaten.

Zupfkuchen?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭LJ3103

t0fSRsy.jpg

That looks divine, could you post the recipe please

Zupfkuchen?

Yup! Russischer Zupkuchen - wobei ich nicht genau weiss, was daran "Russisch" ist ;)

LJ3103 wrote: »
    That looks divine, could you post the recipe please

Keep in mind that I used those quantities to make 2 cakes, for 1 cake you'd need a 26cm cake tin.

Pastry
    300 g Flour
    30 g Dark Cocoa Powder
    2 tbsp Baking Powder
    150 g Sugar
    1 Egg
    150 g Butter

Filling
    250 g Butter
    500 g Quark (Twarog, if you're buying it from the Polish shop)
    200 g Sugar
    3 Eggs
    1 Pck. Vanilla Custard Powder (or Budyn, if you're shopping at the Polish shop)
    1 tsp of vanilla essence

Mix the ingredients for the pastry together, adding a drop of water if it's too crumbly. Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for 30 mins
    Mix all the ingredients for the filling together - make sure there's no lump from the powder.

Grease your cake tin, and line the bottom with baking paper.
    Take the pastry out of the fridge, and separate it 1/3 to 2/3. Roll out the 2/3 portion and line your cake tin with it.
    Pour in the filling, then tear the remaining 1/3 of pastry into small pieces and scatter over the top.

Bake at 180 for ca 1 hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Yup! Russischer Zupkuchen - wobei ich nicht genau weiss, was daran "Russisch" ist ;)

Sorry, OT, I had that conversation with a friend recently and I came across this:
    https://blogs.taz.de/reptilienfonds/2014/06/08/was-das-internet-bisher-nicht-wusste-warum-der-zupfkuchen-russisch-heist/
    Doesn't sound very convincing though!

Attempts number two at crunchie cheesecake in the fridge now...my last one was a big sloppy mess, didn't set at all. :( I mean everyone in work still ate it...but I was not liking serving it up :pac:

• Advertisement

Crunchie cheesecake. I put a load of crunchie chocolate spread right through this so honeycomb flavour with every mouthful. :)

IMG_6198.jpg
    IMG_6218.jpg

Advertisement