Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Crunchie cheesecake. I put a load of crunchie chocolate spread right through this so honeycomb flavour with every mouthful. :)

*Looks at crunchie cheescake*

*Looks at wholesome but dull lunch*

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

Hi everyone! It’s my first time posting in here but I love seeing all your pictures and recipes. That crunchie cheesecake looks absolutely beautiful.

I recently started baking as a hobby and I’ve been trying out some different cakes over the past few weeks. I’ve posted a photo of my most recent attempt. It is a chocolate cake (3 layers) filled with chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream and homemade caramel. I covered it in the same buttercream and did a caramel drip. I topped it with some multicolored meringue kisses. It turned out better then I taught it would but the meringue kisses weren’t great shapes. It was my first time making everything (apart from the cake, it was just second time with that) so I’m hopping I’ll get better with it after a few more goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

463453.jpg

These look so good!

🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

RacoonQueen that cheesecake looks divine, I'd mug you for a slice.

ace_irl - welcome! Your cake looks fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

ace_irl wrote: »
    Hi everyone! It’s my first time posting in here but I love seeing all your pictures and recipes. That crunchie cheesecake looks absolutely beautiful.

I recently started baking as a hobby and I’ve been trying out some different cakes over the past few weeks. I’ve posted a photo of my most recent attempt. It is a chocolate cake (3 layers) filled with chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream and homemade caramel. I covered it in the same buttercream and did a caramel drip. I topped it with some multicolored meringue kisses. It turned out better then I taught it would but the meringue kisses weren’t great shapes. It was my first time making everything (apart from the cake, it was just second time with that) so I’m hopping I’ll get better with it after a few more goes.

You only recently started baking as a hobby??!!! That’s impressive!

• Advertisement

Thank you DizzyBlonde! This thread inspired me to start baking and now I’m hooked.

Thank you Leahyl, I’ve baked a few different cakes before, mostly Victoria sponge and red velvet but I’ve never really done much with them, I didn’t even make icing up properly, so now I’m trying to get better at the decorating.

It’s a lot harder then I taught it would be but YouTube has been brilliant in helping.

I’m going to try working with fondant this weekend so fingers crossed I don’t throw a cake out the window!

1.8kg (I had to check!) of millionaires shortbread for the work bake sale today

IMG-20181012-WA0002-600x1067.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Millionaires shortbread is one of my favourite things!

Lazy day today so would like to get a bit of baking done. I don't have baking paper. If I butter the cake tins will that suffice? Can tin foil be used? Is there any type of cake/baked thing that is less likely to stick? (Eg apple sponge because the apple is so moist underneath).

I've an abundance of eggs. Self raising flour. Whipped cream. Sugars. Cocoa powder. Dying to make something! Question is, what!

Whispered wrote: »

Lazy day today so would like to get a bit of baking done. I don't have baking paper. If I butter the cake tins will that suffice? Can tin foil be used? Is there any type of cake/baked thing that is less likely to stick? (Eg apple sponge because the apple is so moist underneath).

I've an abundance of eggs. Self raising flour. Whipped cream. Sugars. Cocoa powder. Dying to make something! Question is, what!

I've baked a Victoria sponge in a tin with no liner successfully, I buttered the tin really well and put a table spoon of flour in and made sure every part of the tin was covered in both. I left mine cool completely in the tin and then took them out. If they stick a bit heat the base of the tin slightly to melt the butter a bit and that should help.

Whispered wrote: »

Buttering the tin well should work.

What about scones, banana bread, or this if you want to make a recipe I've been wanting to try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

Butter and flour, butter on it's own not the best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

phormium wrote: »
    Butter and flour, butter on it's own not the best.

This works really well - a good coating of butter then a dusting of flour.

I made a lemon meringue pie yesterday.

IMG-5242.jpg

IMG-5244.jpg

Is that slice going spare Dizzyblonde?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I made a lemon meringue pie yesterday.

IMG-5242.jpg

IMG-5244.jpg

Oh God!That looks sooooo good.Its very hard to get a good lemon meringue pie these days.

That looks so good Dizzy. Just the ticket on such a wet weekend!

Leftovers from some mini bakes I made for the wife's baby shower/afternoon tea today:

20181014-210918-800x600.jpg

For the eagle eyed: yes, I did made two double batches of millionaire shortbread in 2 days!

Dónal wrote: »
    Leftovers from some mini bakes I made for the wife's baby shower/afternoon tea today:

For the eagle eyed: yes, I did made two double batches of millionaire shortbread in 2 days!

Dónal, you're a man after my own heart when it comes to millionaire's shortbread - down with those who think skimpy caramel is acceptable! Boo!!!

Everything looks delicious and congrats on the bun!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Donal, your wife is one lucky lady! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Two birthdays in my family today so made a Victoria sponge sandwiched and topped with a swirled mix of vanilla buttercream and homemade lemon curd.. in theory a great idea. In practice, a very sweet mix and veeery similar looking to scrambled eggs on a cake :o I had fresh raspberries between the layers so that sharpness helped to round out the sweetness.

I had the two names piped on the cake too, didn’t just leave a big blank space on top :)

• Advertisement

Had some leftover bananas from the last few weeks that I had frozen, so threw them together for some banana bread this morning. Added sultanas too.

Served with lashings of butter because it has to be done.

20181021-110633-800x600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Does anyone have any great bread recipes? Preferably with little to no sugar? I have been gifted a bread maker. So far I've made run of the mill white and have used it to make fociacca dough. Both turned out well enough. Now hoping to experiment a bit with different flavours. Like can I infuse garlic into the oil I'm using? What additions work? Can I make fruit yeast breads? etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Made the red velvet cake from the cooking club.
    Very very tasty.

The frosting was unusual but suited the cake well!

photo 1-7.JPG

photo 2-7.JPG

That red velvet cake looks so good. Reading this forum is terrible for my diet!

At the weekend I finally got around to making my chocolate biscuit cake pumpkin. I used two pudding bowls and then stuck them on top of each other and decorated it with fondant. It was my first time making it and using fondant and I massively underestimated how much you actually use to cover a cake. The family helped with decorating over wine, it really is like play dough for adults. I’ll definitely try using fondant again!

I’m going to draw out a little plan for my cake this weekend for the long weekend and get my stuff organized, Lidl had icing sugar on special during the week if anyone needs supplies. My dad picked me up one of those silicone baking mats there too and a cake stand, i’ll Be putting them to use this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Ace that’s amazing I LOVE it!!

Thank you so much Michelle! I’d show you what the inside looked like but they’ve gone and eaten it all on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Baked a "Nutty Toffee Cake" for a Cake Sale tomorrow. Lots of mixed ground nuts, chopped dates and brushed with Maple Syrup when it came out of the oven.

Rock cakes.

IMG-5379.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Rock cakes.

IMG-5379.jpg

They bring me back. They are delicious. Did you get the recipe from All in the cooking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The tea brack from the cooking club. Perfect time of the year for it.

Made this so many times, it's so easy and always gets lots of compliments.

2rorwh3.jpg

Advertisement