Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

donnacha wrote: »
    First is a choc fudge raspberry cake using a recipe from this season of great british bake off. Also have started making up my own crumpets as its my Mums favourite and M&S have been failing her of late with stocks (supposedly Brexit related!)

What's the crumpet recipe you used? Does it keep well? I'm also out of sorts w/ M&S not having crumpets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Tree wrote: »
    What's the crumpet recipe you used? Does it keep well? I'm also out of sorts w/ M&S not having crumpets

Used a Jamie Oliver recipe https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/classic-crumpets/

Its a 12 crumpet batch - longest they've lasted between my house and my mums is 2 days so can't say how well they keep :)

I'd advise ignoring his medium/high heat instruction and go with a low heat for an additional minute. I also need to get better at the art of softly placing them back on the pan at the point of turning for the final minute so that the air holes don't collapse/flatten on the lid.

Amazing straight off the pan. I've reheated them in both the toaster and airfryer and have been happy with results.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Passion fruit Madeira loaf. Just used a basic Madeira recipe and lashed in a lot of passion fruit pulp together with some additional lemon juice. Absolutely beautiful. Seem to be lots of passion fruit on special offer in supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭gifted

Marcusm wrote: »
    Passion fruit Madeira loaf. Just used a basic Madeira recipe and lashed in a lot of passion fruit pulp together with some additional lemon juice. Absolutely beautiful. Seem to be lots of passion fruit on special offer in supermarkets.

Just looking at a recipe for lemon drizzle cake, now might lob some passion fruit in as well....thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Glut of apples........put kettle on :)

iuVc5owl.jpg

vRkv41pl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Planet X wrote: »

[/url]

Could I have your address please? :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Will ya be wantin' a slice of pizza as well?

6gnQYZIl.jpg

I made this sublime apple flan on Sunday. Mmmmm. https://www.davidlebovitz.com/aux-pommes-french-apple-tart-tarte-normande/

For the tart dough
    6 tablespoons (3 ounces, 85g) unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
    1/4 cup (50g) sugar
    1 large egg yolk
    1 cup (140g) flour
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    For the filling
    4 medium apples, (see headnote), about 1 1/2 pounds, 700g
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar, plus 2 tablespoons granulated or raw cane sugar, for finishing the tart
    3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    pinch of salt
    1 cup (250ml) heavy cream (or half-and-half)
    2 1/2 tablespoons calvados

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭gifted

Raspberry and almond frangipane tart....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I made a Madeira cake but inexplicably thought it’d be a good idea to chop up some pineapple and add it to the mixture.

It wasn’t.

Still going to eat it though, just won’t do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I made a Madeira cake but inexplicably thought it’d be a good idea to chop up some pineapple and add it to the mixture.

It wasn’t.

Still going to eat it though, just won’t do it again.

Break it up, layer with cream & some more pineapple... you now have a Pineapple Madeira Mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I bought an instant pot a few months back, made my first sweet thing in it a couple of days ago... New York Cheesecake.
    Took less than 10 min to prep, 26min in the pot (once it reached pressure)
    I'm surprised & impressed with how it turned out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wow that looks amazing Sinister Kid! Must admit, I have no idea what an instant pot is, but it seems like a magic machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Baked a hummingbird cake with raspberry cream cheese icing for my daughter’s birthday. Just lovely, and not too sweet at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Planet X wrote: »

I love that recipe. I love anything appley but I hate working with pastry so apple pie is usually a no no, this works great for me in its absence. :D

I love that recipe. I love anything appley but I hate working with pastry so apple pie is usually a no no, this works great for me in its absence. :D

My mum used make an apple upside down cake.

In the bottom of a tin put loads of sliced apples covered with honey or golden syrup. Pour basic Victoria sponge mix over and bake about 3/4 hour.
    Turn out onto a plate. Serve with custard. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Anyone with experience making baked alaska?

Anyone with experience making baked alaska?

It’s a bit tricky. When I make it, which isn’t often, I get all ingredients ready then put it together when it’s about to be served.

Sponge can be baked the day before. Sprinkle with some alcohol of your choice if desired.
    Make meringue with 2 egg whites and 4 ozs castor sugar.
    Drain a small tin of fruit cocktail, tinned or fresh strawberries or raspberries, whatever fruit you fancy.
    Don’t put fruit on sponge too early or it’ll go soggy. Layer sponge, fruit and ice cream. Top with meringue and brown either under the grill or in a hot oven.
    Serve and enjoy!

Basically, the ingredients depend on your own taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I've made this one from The Irish Times. I cheated and bought the Triffle sponge in Supervalu.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/baked-alaska-a-retro-dessert-where-less-is-more-1.3482983

Serves 4-6
    568ml raspberry ripple ice cream
    150g frozen mixed summer berries (or fresh)
    1 tbsp icing sugar

Sponge
    2 eggs
    75g caster sugar
    75g self raising flour

Meringue
    2 egg whites
    120g caster sugar

1. Line a small deep bowl (approx 650ml) with a double layer of clingfilm leaving overhanging sides (dabbing the glass with a sprinkle of water helps the clingfilm stick). Pack tightly with ice cream, then scoop out a small hollow in the centre. Toss the frozen mixed berries in icing sugar and place them in the hollow. Fold the clingfilm over the top and press down firmly. Transfer the bowl to the freezer for two hours until the ice cream is firm.

2. To make the sponge, preheat an oven to 180°C fan. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until thick and creamy. Sieve flour, fold lightly into the mixture. Spoon into a small round greased and lined cake tin and bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Once cool, cut the sponge to a disc slightly wider than the circumference of the ice cream bowl (lay any leftover cuttings over the sponge).

3. To make the meringue whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually adding the sugar, continue whisking until the mixture is glossy and forms stiff peaks. Increase the oven temperature to 200°C fan. Remove the ice cream bowl from the freezer and working quickly, invert the bowl so that the ice cream sits on top of the sponge (peel away the clingfilm).

4. Use a large spatula to spread the meringue over the entire dome of ice cream, covering it completely leaving no gaps around the base.

5. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 6 minutes until golden in colour. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.

Variation:
    Make a chocolate bombe by substituting a chocolate sponge base and using chocolate, coffee, vanilla or even mint chocolate chip ice cream inside. If you can’t decide between one favourite ice cream you can always pack two flavours in separate layers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The young lad is having a bake sale for Halloween tomorrow in school, so I made a ‘pumpkin’ cake, consisting of 2 carrot cakes, surrounded with orange coloured buttercream, the leaves are made from variously coloured candy melts moulded onto leaves from a hydrangea in the garden.

In hindsight it would have probably been better to wrap the carrot cakes in orange fondant instead of buttercream, but as a first attempt at a ‘showstopper’, I’m happy enough with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Fair play. That's unreal looking. Looks so professional and delicious

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's fabulous AndyBoBandy, I'd say the little lad was delighted to produce it this morning :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That's fabulous AndyBoBandy, I'd say the little lad was delighted to produce it this morning :)

He was more interested in the Oreo/Cream Cheese ‘eye’ balls we also sent in!

We’ll ‘buy’ the pumpkin cake back, and he’ll sell the eye balls!!

These are so tasty;
    1 and 1/2 packets of Oreos blended up
    1 tub of Philadelphia then mixed with the blended Oreos,
    Rolled into little balls,
    chilled for a few hours
    then dipped in melted chocolate and chilled again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made a couple of apple & blackberry crumble tarts yesterday. Photo taken after I tested one for quality control purposes ;)

IMG-7056.jpg

He was more interested in the Oreo/Cream Cheese ‘eye’ balls we also sent in!

We’ll ‘buy’ the pumpkin cake back, and he’ll sell the eye balls!!

The eyeballs are class though!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Made scones; first baking for many months. Forgot about my "bottom burning " oven but they are fine! Felt great to do it

You folk are an inspiration; thank you.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Made scones; first baking for many months. Forgot about my "bottom burning " oven but they are fine! Felt great to do it

You folk are an inspiration; thank you.

Well done. I'm making an apple crumble today

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not strictly baking but just enjoying a no-bake flapjack.. easy even for me and very tasty... this one is without peanut butter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not strictly baking but just enjoying a no-bake flapjack.. easy even for me and very tasty... this one is without peanut butter

Oooh recipe would be great please if it's not too much trouble - thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Oooh recipe would be great please if it's not too much trouble - thanks :)

Me too please Grace

Advertisement