Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No bake flapjack

It is very simple

100 gram butter

5 tbs golden syrup

200 gms porage oats

( they did add 1 oz sugar but it made it too sweet)

If you like dried fruit and nuts, grand

Put butter and syrup in a large pan over a low heat until just melted and combined.

Stir in the oats and any dried fruit etc until all coated with the mixture

Put into a cake tin ( square makes cutting easier) . Press well down so it melds well as it cools.

Allow to cool then into fridge for an hour ….

Enjoy! It is not hard like the baked version but deliciously chewy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Graces7 wrote: »
    No bake flapjack

It is very simple

100 gram butter

5 tbs golden syrup

200 gms porage oats

( they did add 1 oz sugar but it made it too sweet)

If you like dried fruit and nuts, grand

Put butter and syrup in a large pan over a low heat until just melted and combined.

Stir in the oats and any dried fruit etc until all coated with the mixture

Put into a cake tin ( square makes cutting easier) . Press well down so it melds well as it cools.

Allow to cool then into fridge for an hour ….

Enjoy! It is not hard like the baked version but deliciously chewy

Thank you !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Baked fruit scones and Clodagh McKenna’s Brown bread.
    I love the bread and as recipie makes 2 loaves it will be there for a few days. It’s ridiculously nice with cheddar cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Himself asked for lemon cake for his birthday so made lemon cake filled with lemon curd and topped with lemon icing. It wasn't pretty, but it was tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I baked these pumpkin spiced muffins last night. I still have half a pumpkin left so will be making another batch immediately. They are gorgeous!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

lRsHxtel.jpg

oGkURnhl.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

All my baking is failing lately. :( Usually I find baking great for stress relief but I had so much going on I didn't have time for ages...then I was just baking cos I felt like I should and it all turns out dreadful. :(
    Made a lemon cake that normally is delicious today..everything was dreadful, the cake was rubbery...the swiss buttercream curdled and then turned out too thick :rolleyes:

I love this time of year for various reasons, but also because Lidl sell individual baking sheets! I always stock up for the year.

What, don't judge me...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

Swiss meringue buttercream is troublesome these days with the cold weather firming up the butter too quickly, I fire in the butter before the meringue is down to room temp so it still has a bit of heat in it, it's easier to get a nice silky consistency when it's still a little warm.

Peanutbutter layer cake with chocolate Russian buttercream, should have used paddle attachment at the end for the buttercream..ended up trying to hand mix lumps of butter into it just as I was assembling cake.

Frustratingly the cakes were a little over cooked, would have been better for me to split it into three 8 inch layers as I ended up overfilling the two (and having 5 cupcakes leftover. :pac:
    Like this idea of peanutbutter cake and messing around with a chocolate, caramel, nougat and salted peanut mix to try and make a delicious snickers cake. :D

Crappy pic.

IMG-7390.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

That buttercream looks incredible! Make sure to take a pic of it when it’s all sliced up!

That buttercream looks incredible! Make sure to take a pic of it when it’s all sliced up!

The buttercream is nice an silky. Need to try get a better photo in daylight.

The little fellah's first birthday is today, but we threw a party for him yesterday. Just a simple chocolate buscuit cake made by my 3 year old daughter and me, and then my wife then added the icing decorations.

Photo-Picture-Resizer-191209-181753152-crop-960x1193.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Love the little penguin :D

I made up a batch of cookies with chocolate covered honeycomb pieces. Mmmmm, coooookie!

497258.jpg

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not technically baking but aiming to avoid diving into my carefully assembled Christmas goodies... So a golden syrup steamed sponge pudding... With custard, real winter weather fare... The mince pies will live a while longer! ( not sure what shopping will be able to get across to the island with this erratic bad weather)

I' em been given some cookin apples and want to make some puff pastry hand pies but all the recipes online are American abd call for Granny Smiths and the like. Any recipes folks?

kylith wrote: »
    I' em been given some cookin apples and want to make some puff pastry hand pies but all the recipes online are American abd call for Granny Smiths and the like. Any recipes folks?

Any cooking apples would do.

Any cooking apples would do.

Presumably cooking apples would need significantly more sugar than eating apples?

kylith wrote: »
    Presumably cooking apples would need significantly more sugar than eating apples?

Just a smudging

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You'll definitely need a good sprinkling of sugar. I'd add a sprinkle of flour too, to thicken the juice because there'll be a lot more than you'd get with eating apples.

• Advertisement

Christmas gift baking done! I’ve done big hampers of chutneys and jams and biscotti over the years but just don’t have the time anymore. Decided to do 3 thing, a classic, a Christmas themed one and one that’s a bit more difficult. I bought all the containers and ‘handmade with love’ stickers on amazon and think the presentation turned out really well.

Hope none of the gift-ees are on boards :)

Dark Chocolate salted caramel macarons

Lemon curd macarons

Mini mince pies. I made the pastry but bought the mince meat as I just could never beat the M&S 6 month mature mince meat so why try?! :D

Vanilla sugar cookies coated in a super thin layer of tart lemon water icing. I used an American recipe for these and they are veeeery sweet so needed the lemon to cut through that. You can’t see it in the photos but I got a snowflake cookie stamper in Sostrene Greene and it’s so good!

498160.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Christmas gift baking done! I’ve done big hampers of chutneys and jams and biscotti over the years but just don’t have the time anymore. Decided to do 3 thing, a classic, a Christmas themed one and one that’s a bit more difficult. I bought all the containers and ‘handmade with love’ stickers on amazon and think the presentation turned out really well.

Hope none of the gift-ees are on boards :)

Dark Chocolate salted caramel macarons

Lemon curd macarons

Mini mince pies. I made the pastry but bought the mince meat as I just could never beat the M&S 6 month mature mince meat so why try?! :D

Vanilla sugar cookies coated in a super thin layer of tart lemon water icing. I used an American recipe for these and they are veeeery sweet so needed the lemon to cut through that. You can’t see it in the photos but I got a snowflake cookie stamper in Sostrene Greene and it’s so good!

Your giftees are extremely lucky! I would probably knock a person over to get at those lemon curd macarons :D

Having time to make baked gifts is my dream. Love it. Today I'm making a malteaser pie and a peanut butter cake for christmas day desserts. I will pass off the cake as peanut cake as they won't eat it if I say peanut butter...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Having time to make baked gifts is my dream. Love it. Today I'm making a malteaser pie and a peanut butter cake for christmas day desserts. I will pass off the cake as peanut cake as they won't eat it if I say peanut butter...

Drool!!! Can I come to yours for Christmas!?

Michellenman, those hampers are a gorgeous idea. Hope the recipients love them!!:)

Some cookies made by my daughter and me, with one now left out for the big man arriving later :)

IMG-20191224-WA0015-800x450.jpg

Lucky Santa!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

2 hours of work today for this (and it was the small version, as usually I add more layers).

- presentation was a bit in a hurry ...

498481.jpg498480.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

498493.jpg

Been on a cookie baking spree in the last few weeks. Left these out for Santa; one last chance to make the nice list :D

🤪

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Not me but my daughter, carrots left over from Christmas.
    That'll do nicely......

kP28KDBl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

The only thing baked on this is the crust, so I hope that's allowed!
    I love these biscuits with my coffee so thought I would go to the next stage with a cheesecake :D

Advertisement