Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Made a Swiss Roll for the first time over the weekend. Sponge is really light - will definitely have to use that simple recipe again for other purposes.

503674.jpg

503675.jpg

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Looks divine Sabre001 :)

I baked a carrot cake last night and looked like it turned out lovely....until it got stuck in the tin and when i finally got it out, it fell apart :( Think it might still taste ok though.....I had made icing to go on top and my mum "put it back together" and iced it...so might try some later :pac:

Certainly the most ambitious thing I've tried! Biscuit base, chocolate swiss roll sponge, raspberry jelly, lemon mousse and a Swiss meringue buttercream. And homemade dark chocolate truffles to go with it! Some changes that I would make, but very happy with how it turned out :) (I've been watching far too much of Zumbo's Just Desserts!)

504767.jpg

504768.jpg

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Baked a malteser cake with one of the kids yesterday. It called for malt in both the buttercream frosting and the cake mixture. Kids loved it!

505011.jpg
    505014.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Found out this evening that I need to prep something for a school bake sale tomorrow; with the help of my minion, made a batch of Madeleines and then added the Lamingtons (filled with strawberry jam) ...

505165.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I made a chocolate roulade with coconut quark-cream filling (not at all a big fan of buttercream, but quark works beautifully as a replacement)

gIeHFeF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Good lord Donnacha, that Malteser cake! Looks unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Shenshen wrote: »
    I made a chocolate roulade with coconut quark-cream filling (not at all a big fan of buttercream, but quark works beautifully as a replacement)

gIeHFeF.jpg

That roll! Very neat and no crack, very impressive! Nice idea with the quark too. Must give that a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

That roll! Very neat and no crack, very impressive! Nice idea with the quark too. Must give that a try.

Not gonna lie, there is a crack there. But I placed the roll on top, so it's hard to spot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

I had bought some lard (smalec) from the Polish supemarket to make pastry, but the nostalgic food thread was on my mind so yesterday I made lardy cake instead to remind me of the ones I used to buy in Gloucestershire years ago. It really is the most delicious fruited yeasted bread, caramelised sugary crust and really soft and squidgy. It's an old English thing and while it sounds gross, it is a great treat. I had eaten two slices this morning and wrapped and frozen the rest, so no photo sorry. It's not the most beautiful looking thing anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

For those who can’t be bothered to Google. A picture of what Lardy Cake looks like.

8-EC82-BBF-A489-4-BF6-ADC0-6840-A006-C05-D.jpg

:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made the house favourite this morning, Bakewell slices. I made too much sweet shortcrust pastry so I turned it into little custard tarts with raspberry jam in the bottom. I cheated on the custard to save eggs and thickened a couple of tubs of Ambrosia custard with cornflour.

IMG-7732.jpg

IMG-7733.jpgimage uploading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Cinnamon buns and chocolate cake for mothers day.

506597.jpg

506598.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

donnacha wrote: »
    Cinnamon buns and chocolate cake for mothers day

Damn, had to bake cinnamon rolls too, after seeing yours.
    Now my mothers day is complete (the young one treated me with biscuits she made for my morning coffee)

BTW, does anyone else feel that more baking is in place now with ... wfh ? between the breads, the buns, the doughnuts and what not ... I am only panic buying flour/yeast obviously :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

mvl wrote: »
    Damn, had to bake cinnamon rolls too, after seeing yours.
    Now my mothers day is complete (the young one treated me with biscuits she made for my morning coffee)

BTW, does anyone else feel that more baking is in place now with ... wfh ? between the breads, the buns, the doughnuts and what not ... I am only panic buying flour/yeast obviously :)

Yes, I'm baking more. It's just a pity that the usually well stocked baking aisles in supermarkets are almost empty these days. Everyone's a baker now, it seems :pac:

Had planned to make these for St. Patrick's Day, but couldn't get supplies. Coffee cupcakes with a salted caramel Irish Cream mascarpone icing. Have loads of icing left over so might make up a Swiss roll.

506678.jpg

🤪

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Had planned to make these for St. Patrick's Day, but couldn't get supplies. Coffee cupcakes with a salted caramel Irish Cream mascarpone icing. Have loads of icing left over so might make up a Swiss roll.

506678.jpg

Icing recipe please?!

Sabre they look amazing :)

I made big chewy chocolate chip cookies this morning.

IMG-7767.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Still baking our own bread, as I have for more than a decade: seeded rye sourdough for the week and white sourdough for the weekend. Seriously freaked by the lack of flour. I always have 2-3 weeks worth of bread flour in the house, but now it's nearing the end and I have trouble getting more.
    Really pisses me off! Especially as it is more than likely that a substantial amount of the hoarded flour will end up in bins.

Icing recipe please?!

Got it here: https://www.lifeloveandsugar.com/stabilized-mascarpone-whipped-cream

Ingredients:
    226g ounces mascarpone cheese (chilled)
    86g confectioner’s sugar
    300ml double cream (chilled)
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract

For the Irish Cream version, I subbed in about a tablespoon of Irish Cream instead of the extract.

When I first tried this, it curdled on me so I've been more cautious since. I also use a hand electric mixer rather than a stand mixer (some day!). I whip the double cream in one bowl (with a spoon of sugar of course) and I added the Irish cream to this. In another bowl I beat the mascarpone a little before adding the icing sugar and mixing them together. Then I fold this mix into the cream.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

Cheshire Cat, if you get through a good bit of flour what about a bulk order from Kellswholemeal.ie.

There was no flour in the supermarket I visited today either, I didn't want it as I have a good amount but just went to check out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

Mothers day cake, chocolate angel cake, my decorating is very sloppy.:o

iSzHrqr.jpg?27Tadf5b.jpg?2

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Sloppy is good, shows it wasn't made by a machine. (and that's not sloppy btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Sloppy is good, shows it wasn't made by a machine. (and that's not sloppy btw).

Completely agree. Also means it tastes a million times better than a perfectly iced creation. It's looks delicious and definitely not sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

I made banana bread and it was rather delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Bananna and walnut bread - only a once or twice a year baker & usually meringues but felt obliged to use up the flour left in the press since pancake tuesday 2019! Walnut ls got a bit scorched but its quite tasty & not bad while sitting in the sun with a cappucchino ‘wirking from home’ . Happy days...

PS its not as flat and pancake like as it looks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Made scones for the first time in years. My mum wrote out a recipe for me but left out a section so had to estimate the amount. They are so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Im not used to baking with yeast but now I have plenty of time to do it without having time constraints so this weekend I made cinnamon rolls.

I used this recipe because I’ve had good success with his recipes before and it didn’t let me down.

https://preppykitchen.com/skillet-cinnamon-rolls/

I made, proofed (proved?) filled and rolled them last night and then put them in the fridge. They had a second proof this morning and then in to the oven. The house smells unreeeaaal.

Two mistakes:
    1. I only wanted to bake 6 and freeze the others but I let them proof for the second time in a dish that was too big so they expanded outwards rather than upwards. The texture is spot on but they look more like a danish than a bun really.

2. My oven is not very consistent heat-wise from so accidentally I let them catch and burn on the corners slightly so about a third of two of them are kinda tough and bitter but I just trimmed it off.

Overall definitely worth the effort. Delicious and it killed a good bit of time to make them :)

507462.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Ryath

Posted in chat thread but if anyone is near a Palas food depot they are doing click and collect. Plenty of choice in flour and baking products. Got 10kg of Tipo 00, 1kg of fresh yeast for €2! and 2.5kg of cooking chocolate buttons! few other non baking bits. It's good value if you have the space and safer than going to the shops

https://collect.pallasfoods.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Flour

Anyway only 9kg left now! Roast aubergine and talegio cheese was a nice change.

507506.jpg507507.jpg
    507508.jpg507509.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

https://www.bakingmad.com/recipe/mary-berry-s-iced-lime-tray-bake
    No pics but it looks exactly like the one in the recipe link, for a change!
    I read the reviews underneath that suggested the lime flavour was underwhelming so decided to make it a lemon and lime cake instead - added the zest of half a lemon to the cake mixture and added the juice of the lemon to the lime juice, so that when I'd made the icing I had a couple of tablespoons of juice left to drizzle over the cake prior to icing it.
    Absolutely gorgeous - this rivals the all-time favourite lemon drizzle cake!

Advertisement