Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

1st attempt at a ‘Snickers’ cake!

Tastes lovely (as expected with the ingredients added)

507582.jpeg
    507583.jpeg
    507584.jpeg
    507585.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭Be right back

^^^ Any cake left over? Looks delicious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Some people in this thread are lucky there's a lockdown, or the rest of us would be hunting them down and stealing their cakes :eek::pac:

I'm a plain baker and I'm always stunned by the delicious cakes in this thread :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I wouldn't consider myself anything above basic level, but as long as you follow the recipe you can't really go wrong!!

That snickers cake I did last night was actually quite easy to do. Very easy in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I wouldn't consider myself anything above basic level, but as long as you follow the recipe you can't really go wrong!!

That snickers cake I did last night was actually quite easy to do. Very easy in fact.

Surprised you’re still alive. That’s a gut buster if ever I’ve seen one! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Banana bread today...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Hey folks, I'm lucky enough to have a couple of sachets of dry yeast in the press and haven't seen it in the shops on any recent trips.

Before I use it all up, can I make a starter of sorts from this dry yeast and multiply it for future bakes?

We have a decent amount of flour but the baking powder is almost gone and no sign of it in the shops either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Ryath

Never tried it but from my reading when I made my sourdough starter if you try make a starter from dried yeast it will eventually become a sourdough starter as the cultured yeast dies off and are replaced by wild strains. Your starter may be ok for a few days but will die off and take another week or two to become a proper sourdough starter.

Probably better to start your own from scratch it’s like having a pet in your kitchen. Mine is currently in hibernation in the fridge though as I have a block of fresh yeast!

Pallas foods that I linked earlier have dried yeast if you don’t want a new pet!

https://collect.pallasfoods.com/dried-yeast-500-gm-fu161.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Ryath wrote: »
    Pallas foods that I linked earlier have dried yeast if you don’t want a new pet!
    https://collect.pallasfoods.com/dried-yeast-500-gm-fu161.html

Didn't know you can order from pallasfoods as private person, can you ?

yeah, the effect of #quarantinebaking; surprised the shops still haven't adjusted their stock on yeast and flour as per current demand; we've been at this for weeks now :(

- waiting for extra yeast in my Tesco order, and ordered more flour from kells, thanks to a suggestion made earlier.

Later edit - yeah, seeing pallasfoods are open for general public now, click and collect

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 518 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Mint Chocolate fudge brownies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

hardCopy wrote: »
    Hey folks, I'm lucky enough to have a couple of sachets of dry yeast in the press and haven't seen it in the shops on any recent trips.

Before I use it all up, can I make a starter of sorts from this dry yeast and multiply it for future bakes?

We have a decent amount of flour but the baking powder is almost gone and no sign of it in the shops either.

Have you tried Aldi? Our Aldi has baking powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

right - yeast was missing from my tesco bags :(
    anyone knows where to get it ordered online ?

I was in a Nourish health food shop yesterday and they said they were getting yeast in on Thursday. I’m down to my last two sachets, Still have my sourdough starter though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dee75

Chocolate buttercream birthday cake for new teenager in the house.

dee75 wrote: »
    Chocolate buttercream birthday cake for new teenager in the house.

Good luck! Remember that the girls will wreck your head while the boys will wreck your house. No surprises then. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

First attempt at baguettes, happy enough with the outcome (had to use plain over strong flour) and they only lasted 2 mins before the family got to them.

20200401-162833.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Mint Chocolate fudge brownies.

Did you use fresh mint or a flavouring/essence? I can’t find a peppermint essence/extract anywhere and I would love to make a batch for my nephew!

There was a leftover egg after being used for an egg wash on sausage rolls, so hey, brownies.

683-E9-D2-C-0-C07-4-D2-E-BB8-B-2-ABA496-DBB5-C.jpg

So I’ve ordered a 5kg bag of tipo flour and 500g of yeast from Pallas foods. But there’s a €30 minimum order so I had to include another pizza peel. :rolleyes:

Collect tomorrow. Feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve at the moment. :)

If anyone is near Dublin 3 and needs yeast, just let me know as I’ll have approximately 214 pizzas-worth! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Never baked anything in my adult life and yesterday made an upside down banana bread cake.
    I must have nailed it. The other half and my housemate have demolished it. Only one token slice left for myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I has thinking of making sourdough starter (I've not done it before) I know some of you might think this is a stupid question but our house is practically airtight with a mechanical ventilation system which filters all incoming air. Would there be any benefit (or harm) in putting the starter outside, say on a sunny windowsill just to kickstart things in the airborne yeast department?

Seamai wrote: »
    I has thinking of making sourdough starter (I've not done it before) I know some of you might think this is a stupid question but our house is practically airtight with a mechanical ventilation system which filters all incoming air. Would there be any benefit in putting the starter outside, say on a sunny windowsill just to kickstart things in the airborne yeast department?

The sun has nothing to contribute so no need for it. You’d also have to keep bugs away from it so some sort of screen/mesh. It would only be for a couple of days until you get it going. Then it propagates itself when you feed it.

Alternatively, ask in your local baker if you could buy some of theirs. They’ll probably give it to you if you buy a few things.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

The sun has nothing to contribute so no need for it. You’d also have to keep bugs away from it so some sort of screen/mesh. It would only be for a couple of days until you get it going. Then it propagates itself when you feed it.

Alternatively, ask in your local baker if you could buy some of theirs. They’ll probably give it to you if you buy a few things.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on. :)

Thanks, it wasn't so much the sun but I suppose not having it somewhere too cold.

I could buy it but now that I have all this time on my hands I think I'd relish the challenge of starting it from scratch myself, then I can bore everyone to tears banging on about my new "pet" ðŸ˜

Seamai wrote: »
    Thanks, it wasn't so much the sun but I suppose not having it somewhere too cold.

I could buy it but now that I have all this time on my hands I think I'd relish the challenge of starting it from scratch myself, then I can bore everyone to tears banging on about my new "pet" ðŸ˜

Cold just slows it down, don’t worry too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Hubby's birthday, he's a bit fussy about cakes so made pineapple and coconut sponge. Doesn't look great but was quickly demolished.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 518 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Made a batch of everything bagels this morning.

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Made a batch of everything bagels this morning.

Amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Ryath

But there’s a €30 minimum order so I had to include another pizza peel. :rolleyes:

What peel did you get. This is the only one I can see but it's a little bigger than I'd need!

• Advertisement

Gonna try a soda bread with chia seeds today cos it looks simple enough.
    Famous last words

Advertisement