Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Ryath wrote: »
    I got a block of the fresh yeast from them. Kept 1/4 in fridge and froze the rest.

Does any one know if gem semolina is suitable for pasta and pizza making or is it different from the semolina flour used in Italy.
    Use to buy it mostly in little Italy when I lived in Dublin but have never seen it anywhere since I moved down the country. Have a notion to make some fresh pasta and it's very handy for dusting when rolling out pizza bases.

I buy semolina in the asian food shops, the coarse stuff by East End is great for pizza peels and teh fine stuff makes good pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Pizza peel from Pallas is the perfect size for a home oven. 26 inches from tip of handle to end of blade. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rubadub wrote: »
    My no-knead one has probably doubled in size since earlier, it was 4 cups of flour, 2 cups of water, 2 teaspoons of salt and 3/4 teaspoon of yeast (no sugar at all). https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/no-knead-cast-iron-whole-wheat-bread/
    Happy with how this turned out and would make it again. It was this flour
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251968858

I have no "dutch oven" so did in in my instant pot bowl with a metal sheet as a cover, foil can be used. As per recipe 30min covered 15min uncovered (so 45min total 230C,) they say 15-20min uncovered and I was worried it was a bit underdone and some might have wanted the extra 5min but I like it. I dusted the bottom of the instant pot with flour, I thought it had stuck badly but just had to run a spoon around the side and it was just 1 spot that stuck and it fell out easily. (I baked in the oven not in the instant pot!)

508094.JPG

508095.JPG

508096.JPG

(the attached images below are just the same ones as above)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Next lunchtime bake : Stewed apple pie with rum, cinnamon and raisins

IEoCHhM.jpg

rdMgyhy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I’m on day 13 of isolation. I’m afraid to cook or bake for my husband aN d children.... Cant wait to be symptom free once I stop sleeping slll the time I’ll be baking... your posts are giving my life right now.

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »
    I’m on day 13 of isolation. I’m afraid to cook or bake for my husband aN d children.... Cant wait to be symptom free once I stop sleeping slll the time I’ll be baking... your posts are giving my life right now.

Bless! Fingers crossed and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Lisha!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Feel better soon Lisha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Went for the most entry level basic I could and still screwed it up. The cake tin was meant to be 20cm. I only had a 24cm one.
    So we got a Victoria flannel rather than a sponge :)
    Loved doing it though. It’s like witchcraft or alchemy. It’s being eaten by my housemates though so I guess it doesn’t matter so much :)
    I wanna keep up with this. Can only get better!

Daughter made a Giant Jaffa Cake today. Tasted just like the real thing.

37-F3-E701-9068-44-E3-87-C8-EBD74256-F810.jpg

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/giant-jaffa-cake.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Runaways wrote: »
    Went for the most entry level basic I could and still screwed it up. The cake tin was meant to be 20cm. I only had a 24cm one.
    So we got a Victoria flannel rather than a sponge :)
    Loved doing it though. It’s like witchcraft or alchemy. It’s being eaten by my housemates though so I guess it doesn’t matter so much :)
    I wanna keep up with this. Can only get better!

Nothing wrong with that .... And as an added bonus you get more cream and jam as well as a "bigger" slice of cake ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Markcheese wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that .... And as an added bonus you get more cream and jam as well as a "bigger" slice of cake ..

That was my thinking too :)

Thanks!

Runaways wrote: »
    . The cake tin was meant to be 20cm. I only had a 24cm one.
    the area is pi*radius*radius.

So though 20 & 24 sound reasonably close the ratio is (12*12)/(10*10), so 1.44, or in other words the 24cm tin is 44% bigger. This can be useful for scaling up recipes, I guess there are online calculators to do this. Also useful for figuring out which takeaway pizza is the best value!

7bedff523efe82d58c4188dfd83b04b1.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

:pac::pac:
    10Xp2axl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

No actual baking but a dessert nonetheless!

Ferrero Rocher chilled cheesecake.

508282.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Tonight's dinner, Maltese timpana, a puff pastry shell, filled with a pork and veal ragu, chicken livers, bacon, rigatoni, hard boiled egg, aubergine and parmesan, probably should have let it cool a bit before cutting into it, might have have held together a bit better but I was pretty happy for my first attempt. Definitely not for carb watchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

508282.jpeg

Please can you share recipie

508282.jpeg

I'll have the 2 if you don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I just kind of make it up based on a few recipes I’d seen online. I only needed to make 3 glasses and i couldn’t find a recipe for such a small quantity.

The below are approximates for the most part.

8 ferrero rocher sweets. (2 for the bases, 3 as decoration, 3 for the cheesecake)
    6 biscuits (I used chocolate chip maryland cookies)
    A heaped teaspoon of butter.
    Two heaped tablespoons of Philadelphia
    Two heaped tablespoons of Nutella (plus one extra for topping)
    Heaped table spoon of icing sugar
    1 container of whipping cream (I think probably 200ml? It was about 2/3 of one of the tall thin Emlea cream containers).
    Pinch of salt.

Base:
    Melt your butter.
    Whizz up all the biscuits and 2 sweets to a crumble texture.
    Mix the crumble and butter together and divide in to the three glasses and press lightly in to form the base. Refrigerate.

Cheesecake:
    Whip the cream to soft peaks and set aside.
    Crumble up 3 sweets, not in to dust, leave them kind of chunky.
    In a separate bowl beat together the Philadelphia, Nutella, salt & sieved icing sugar until totally smooth and all the one colour. Wooden spoon is fine here, no need for a whisk. It will help if everything is the same temperature so maybe have your Philadelphia out of the fridge for a while first.
    Stir in the crushed sweets and half of the whipped cream to loosen the mixture then gently fold in the rest of the whipped cream to retain the lightness and air.
    Spoon or pipe the mixture on top of the 3 chilled bases and give a tap on the counter or small wobble to level off the tops.
    Refrigerate for 2 hours minimum.

Topping:
    Using the third tablespoon of Nutella warm it up in the microwave in 30 seconds bursts. It won’t ever be pourable but it will loosen up. Divide over the 3 glasses and swirl your glasses to cover the tops of the cheesecake.
    Top with the last of the sweets cut in half and sprinkle with whatever crumbs are left on the chopping board. No waste here :)

Chill again for as long as you like and take them out about 20 minutes before you’re ready to eat.

Warning: these are very rich! Those glasses are 330ml and we each only ate about half. They are waiting in the fridge to finish tomorrow :)

I just kind of make it up based on a few recipes I’d seen online. I only needed to make 3 glasses and i couldn’t find a recipe for such a small quantity.

The below are approximates for the most part.

8 ferrero rocher sweets. (2 for the bases, 3 as decoration, 3 for the cheesecake)
    6 biscuits (I used chocolate chip maryland cookies)
    A heaped teaspoon of butter.
    Two heaped tablespoons of Philadelphia
    Two heaped tablespoons of Nutella (plus one extra for topping)
    Heaped table spoon of icing sugar
    1 container of whipping cream (I think probably 200ml? It was about 2/3 of one of the tall thin Emlea cream containers).
    Pinch of salt.

Base:
    Melt your butter.
    Whizz up all the biscuits and 2 sweets to a crumble texture.
    Mix the crumble and butter together and divide in to the three glasses and press lightly in to form the base. Refrigerate.

Cheesecake:
    Whip the cream to soft peaks and set aside.
    Crumble up 3 sweets, not in to dust, leave them kind of chunky.
    In a separate bowl beat together the Philadelphia, Nutella, salt & sieved icing sugar until totally smooth and all the one colour. Wooden spoon is fine here, no need for a whisk. It will help if everything is the same temperature so maybe have your Philadelphia out of the fridge for a while first.
    Stir in the crushed sweets and half of the whipped cream to loosen the mixture then gently fold in the rest of the whipped cream to retain the lightness and air.
    Spoon or pipe the mixture on top of the 3 chilled bases and give a tap on the counter or small wobble to level off the tops.
    Refrigerate for 2 hours minimum.

Topping:
    Using the third tablespoon of Nutella warm it up in the microwave in 30 seconds bursts. It won’t ever be pourable but it will loosen up. Divide over the 3 glasses and swirl your glasses to cover the tops of the cheesecake.
    Top with the last of the sweets cut in half and sprinkle with whatever crumbs are left on the chopping board. No waste here :)

Chill again for as long as you like and take them out about 20 minutes before you’re ready to eat.

Warning: these are very rich! Those glasses are 330ml and we each only ate about half. They are waiting in the fridge to finish tomorrow :)

Thanks for that, I'll definitely be trying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Simple Madeira cake yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Baked 2 banana breads ( to share)
    Baked about 20 jammy type biscuits
    2 porridge bread, pot of damson jam made last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Yesterday's bake: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/recipes/coffee-traybake-1.4205938
    Again, no pics, but this time mine looks richer and more moist than the one in the photo!
    On a related note, as a longtime Irel fan, I picked up a bottle of Camp (chicory and coffee essence) - am I imagining things or is it runnier and weaker in flavour than Irel? I felt like I had to use about three times as much Camp as I'd generally use of Irel to get the same flavour pay-off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Made some brown soda bread. First time making it. Waiting for it to cool then I'm going to dig in with some real butter.

Recipe from the Board Bia site.

pew wrote: »
    Made some brown soda bread. First time making it. Waiting for it to cool then I'm going to dig in with some real butter.

Recipe from the Board Bia site.

I was thinking of making some. I only have evaporated milk. I know people make buttermilk substitutes with vinegar or lemon juice, but I did not really like the idea of it possibly imparting taste. Then I remembered I have citric acid powder, you can get big bags in asian supermarkets.
    1 cup milk + slightly less than 1/4 tsp citric acid. In all cases, let the mixture stand for five to ten minutes before using

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

I don't know about Camp being more runny than Irel, I haven't noticed but they have identical ingredients as I have a pic of them both side by side for comparison from a few years ago when Irel was last available. It was taken while I still had the old bottle of Irel to show someone who disbelieved they were similar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Baked a Strawberry Lemonade cake with a mascarpone frosting (that had strawberry coulis mixed in). All gluten free. Delicious! And the strawberry coulis is a nice, refreshing touch.

508553.jpg

508554.jpg

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Can you share the recipe please? I work with a coeliac so I'm always looking for gluten free treats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made a fruit loaf today, and despite dusting the sultanas with flour they still sank to the bottom. Does anyone have a better trick to stop it happening please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Were the sultanas damp when you dusted them? Normally that trick works for me, but perhaps instead of stirring them in, next time pour about half the batter into the tin, then sprinkle some sultanas on top, add another quarter of batter, more sultanas, another bit of batter, more sultanas again and then cover with the remainder of the matter. You may stand some chance that at least some of them won't sink.

Advertisement