Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

If your cake batter is too thin then stuff sinks! You need a thickish batter to hold up things like dried fruit/choc chips/fresh fruit like blueberries etc. If there is milk or any additional liquid added cut back on it, you need a good stiff batter, plus the dusting with flour, to hold up anything in a cake batter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

New Home wrote: »
    Were the sultanas damp when you dusted them? Normally that trick works for me, but perhaps instead of stirring them in, next time pour about half the batter into the tin, then sprinkle some sultanas on top, add another quarter of batter, more sultanas, another bit of batter, more sultanas again and then cover with the remainder of the matter. You may stand some chance that at least some of them won't sink.

No I just took them from the pack and dusted them. I'll try layering next time, thanks!
    phormium wrote: »
    If your cake batter is too thin then stuff sinks! You need a thickish batter to hold up things like dried fruit/choc chips/fresh fruit like blueberries etc. If there is milk or any additional liquid added cut back on it, you need a good stiff batter, plus the dusting with flour, to hold up anything in a cake batter.

Thanks - I did think the batter was a bit runny. There was 75ml of milk added to 3 eggs in the recipe, so I'll leave the milk out in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

pew wrote: »
    Can you share the recipe please? I work with a coeliac so I'm always looking for gluten free treats.

I usually swap in Odlums' gluten free self-raising flour into any recipe one to one and tends to work out pretty well.

The recipe for this cake is here: https://keelings.ie/recipes/strawberry-lemonade-cake/

I do a mascarpone frosting (https://www.lifeloveandsugar.com/stabilized-mascarpone-whipped-cream/) almost by default at this stage as I prefer the taste and texture more than buttercream. Doubled the lifeloveandsugar's quantity to do the cake.

One treat that we always find delicious is BBC Good Food's cookies: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vintage-chocolate-chip-cookies

Swap in the Odlums flour and leave out Bicarb of Soda (is what we've done). As an added extra, sprinkle a little sea salt on each cookie just before they go in the over. Only needs 8 mins in the oven and super easy to prepare. I tend to go for more than a teaspoon size :)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Feeling slightly more like a human and managed to bake cookies with my daughter. I used the Pret A Manger secret recipie they released and are the best cookies I ever made.. I didn’t have the soft brown sugar stipulated In recipe used demera instead. Also used normal butter not unsalted

https://www.pret.co.uk/en-gb/pret-recipes/dark-chocolate-chunk-cookie-recipe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

....with crushed nuts........
    Not by me.......

tPpaj7wl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 518 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Some scones with homemade clotted cream and a batch of Argentinian alfajores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Have to say I am not good at sharing the kitchen when I bake - but turns out there is an exception to the rule: baked in parallel with my 11 yo today, each had her own recipe, we used separate ovens - loved it.

508708.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've only ever tried banana bread a couple of times...never liked it but had some overripe bananas so decided to make some last night. Mine is better than any other I've tasted :pac: but still..I just don't get what people like so much about it. Flavour is so weird.

I don't like banana bread/cake either, if I was stuck for cake I'd eat a slice of it but it's not that exciting a cake and I never understand why it has the usual amount of sugar in it, surely the benefit of putting a very sweet fruit in is that you can reduce the sugar content but most recipes don't allow for that at all!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

phormium wrote: »
    I don't like banana bread/cake either, if I was stuck for cake I'd eat a slice of it but it's not that exciting a cake and I never understand why it has the usual amount of sugar in it, surely the benefit of putting a very sweet fruit in is that you can reduce the sugar content but most recipes don't allow for that at all!

Probably to cover the manky taste of overripe bananas :D

• Advertisement

I actually like a really ripe banana to eat :) but don't like the flavour of cooked banana at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Lisha wrote: »
    Feeling slightly more like a human and managed to bake cookies with my daughter. I used the Pret A Manger secret recipie they released and are the best cookies I ever made.. I didn’t have the soft brown sugar stipulated In recipe used demera instead. Also used normal butter not unsalted

these were amazing thank you wife woke up to these and coffee. baby in high chair watching me a lovely morning

Today my daughter and I made simple queen cakes. Didn’t have icing sugar or chocolate to decorate but I have fabulous ballymaquirke raspberry jam that was lush with the buns..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Work are trying to keep us all "connected" by issuing challenges - last weekend's was a baking challenging using at least two of flour, milk and butter

My two entrants were soda bread and "no yeast" cinnamon rolls (as I haven't been able to buy yeast and don't really bake enough to warrant it - usually just make banana bread when I forget to eat the bananas I bought! :D)

I think the cinnamon rolls will become a more regular bake

That's a fine looking soda bread!

I love cinnamon buns too but prefer the texture of the yeast ones, although when I really fancy just a taste in a hurry I make a scone sort of one :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 518 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Made a few Czech pastries called Kolache today, filled with peach, blueberries and raspberries...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Lisha wrote: »

We are doing a family bake off over WhatsApp and first up is "cookies".
    Did you reduce the salt in the recipe when you used normal butter?
    I have never baked a cookie before!

cee_jay wrote: »
    We are doing a family bake off over WhatsApp and first up is "cookies".
    Did you reduce the salt in the recipe when you used normal butter?
    I have never baked a cookie before!

I didn’t add in any salt. I softened the butter in microwave it was nearly liquidy but not warm. Then mixed the sugar n butter together in mixer for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I made my first sourdough on Sunday (after a week of prep!), it was MARVELOUS...

VBKftem.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Speaking of bread, I'm finding it hard to get baker or all purpose flour anywhere, even in Musgrave. Is it generally available, outside of the current madness? Anyone know where I could source it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Dickerty wrote: »
    I made my first sourdough on Sunday (after a week of prep!), it was MARVELOUS...

VBKftem.jpg

That looks fantastic, I can nearly smell it from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Made a pear and pistachio tray bake. A recipe from Nigella. Its lovely.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dickerty wrote: »
    Speaking of bread, I'm finding it hard to get baker or all purpose flour anywhere, even in Musgrave. Is it generally available, outside of the current madness? Anyone know where I could source it?

Saw someone mentioning earlier that Pallas Foods have 16kg bags. link

We got a bag from Kells Wholemeal a couple of weeks ago. Both brands they sell are out of stock at the moment, but they might come back. link and link

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I managed to get hold of a 4kg bag of Odlums Plain Flour. I'm seriously considering dividing it into 100g baggies & selling it on the dark web.

Anyway, here's a coffee cake I made on idunnowhatdayitisanymore, recipe 2011 Cooking Club Week 41: Coffee Cake - always a winner in my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

IMG_20200409_233406.jpg

IMG_20200409_233330.jpg

Upside down apple sponge, delish with honeycomb ice cream 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

IMG_20200409_233406.jpg

IMG_20200409_233330.jpg

Upside down apple sponge, delish with honeycomb ice cream 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've been eking out the last of my strong white flour, and I made iced buns today.

IMG-7833.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

For all the bread bakers out there (not soda bread), my oven won't go past 200 Celsius - it's supposed to go to 250m but past 200 the safety thermostat kicks in and kills the oven until the temperature drops. That wouldn't be enough for baking bread, would it?

I don't think so :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's what I thought... not even for bread rolls, right?

Are breadmaking machines any good?

Advertisement