Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

Is that 200 in a fan oven? I baked burger buns today at 190 fan and they are perfect. If it's fan oven 200 should do bread for you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

phormium wrote: »
    Is that 200 in a fan oven? I baked burger buns today at 190 fan and they are perfect. If it's fan oven 200 should do bread for you.

It is, thank you! Could you please give me the recipe for those?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Definitely go with what Phormium says! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

New Home wrote: »
    That's what I thought... not even for bread rolls, right?

Are breadmaking machines any good?

I used mine for years, then went off it and left it on top of a cupboard. My daughter has it now and uses it probably 3 times a week. So I think it very much depends on how often you're making bread and how much time you have on your hands, because the machine is very handy if you're too busy to make it the usual way.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Basically, I'm out of the house at least 11 hours a day (or I used to, before the lockdown). I'd love to be able to eat decent fresh bread like you'd get in a continental bakery, instead of the artificial rubbish you get in supermarkets. I love soft white bread with a fine texture (not with big bubbles), or even with a slightly crunchy crust, but nothing too chewy or very crisp. The two or three times I tried to make bread I ended up with underleavened door-stoppers. They still got eaten, but weren't what I was aiming for.

• Advertisement

I had the Panasonic bread machine, and the loaf they call Rustic French is delicious. It's light and fluffy, with a crust that crackles lightly - not a hard crunchy crust. It's like the old Vienna roll bread you could get years ago. It was my favourite, and the one my daughter makes the most too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Panasonic are the best for bread makers, we have one and it's used 2 or 3 times a week. Wouldn't be without it especially now.

Thanks folks, this is great. I'll be looking at the Argos and Curry websites for the rest of the evening. I was tempted by a Lidl one on special offer a while back, but I wasn't sold.

If it's any help we have the SD2501. It's the same as the SD2500 but with a seed/fruit/nut etc. dispenser which is really handy. I think it they still make that model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

This is the burger bun recipe I used but I used fresh yeast, 20g of it and I went half and half plain flour and strong flour just because I had both :)

https://veenaazmanov.com/soft-burger-buns/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Made Nevin Maguires apple pie today. Turned out really well, nice pastry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

New Home wrote: »

Are breadmaking machines any good?

I've eaten lots of bread from bread machines, made by different people, that was good.
    I've never had a great loaf of bread from a bread maker, though.

If you are comparing it to sliced pan, yes it's world's apart but it's never a patch on a great loaf from a great bakery.

I guess it depends on your expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Made caramel squares! First time making caramel, it took a while but worth it....

Also made brown bread yesterday and curranty-cake or spotted dog too.
    Husband only left the barest slice of the cake curranty-cake ...

I’ll be rolled out of here after this... I’m tempted to try eclairs next, ive never done Choux pastry before....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

what I had for breakfast (my Easter bakes this year)
    - memories from my childhood, as it would have been my moms bday these days
    509253.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

mvl wrote: »
    what I had for breakfast (my Easter bakes this year)
    - memories from my childhood, as it would have been my moms bday these days
    509253.jpg

Hi,
    happy Easter, you enjoy your lovely memories of your mum and her baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Son made Hot Cross Buns yesterday.

E1-EC7540-C662-42-A7-A7-F3-9-C77-DB6-F7-B7-F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Daughters choice - Sponge with caramel buttercream and fudge.
    Sponge was ok, buttercream wasnt sweet enough, and very heavy. Won't be using that recipe again.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I always had mixed success with sourdoughs, usually very dense and gummy. This one stuck to the banneton (lesson learned need to get rice flour!) and kinda deflated as I tried to rescue it. Very happy with the crumb however :)

IMG-20200415-WA0002.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Had some ricotta and cream cheese left over in the fridge, made a great baked cheesecake ( first attempt) with them substituting yogurt for sour cream and ginger nuts instead of digestive biscuits for the base. Found some frozen mixed berries in the bottom of the freezer and make some compote to go with it. Not only was it delicious but I made something without having to go out and buy one item and use up items which were hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Made raspberry and white chocolate blondies yesterday. The raspberries kept things moist - far too moist in places though so the outside browned and became a bit crispy while the mid section was still not baked. Managed to salvage around 6-9 decent ones. Those ones are tasty though and I'll happily eat the crunchier borders :D

509915.PNG

🤪

• Advertisement

I baked a rhubarb crumble yesterday. Sorry. No photos. It’s all eaten!

200g flour and marg. 100g sugar. Rubbed together, or if like me you’ve got arthritic hands, use a large fork and mash and mix.
    8 stalks rhubarb and 2tablespoons sugar slightly cooked beforehand.
    Bake for 30 to 40 mins at 189 degrees. Serve warm with custard, cream or ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Bakewell tart .. my mam used to make them when I was a kid ,and I got an urge for one the other day ..
    Just waiting for it to cool down ...
    And while the oven was on ... I noticed a couple of ripe bananas that would have gone to waste ,so made a couple of mini uside down banana bread thingys ..
    So cake central ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

my younger sis is torturing me with her baking. she made these earlier today (Serbian recipe I think), now I'm prepping my dough for tea :)

510348.jpg
    And later edit, mine are ...
    510376.jpg
    - been rolling few of them while listening some Dirty Old Hip Hop, very enjoyable

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

EWEb4kJXsAQdZme?format=jpg&name=small
    I made lazy but expensive sour bread.

I had an overly sour oude kriek, like almost pure slightly fruity lactic acid. So I used that for the liquid in a regular bread recipe.
    Turned out just like sourdough, complete with gluing itself to the banneton, without the heartache of having to babysit a starter forever

Tree wrote: »
    I made lazy but expensive sour bread.

I had an overly sour oude kriek, like almost pure slightly fruity lactic acid. So I used that for the liquid in a regular bread recipe.
    Turned out just like sourdough, complete with gluing itself to the banneton, without the heartache of having to babysit a starter forever

Wow, sounds like my kind of bread - sour cherry bread!

Did you use yeast, too?
    What was the Kriek? (no such thing as overly sour!!);)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Techinically not a kriek, hanssens experimental raspberry (so raspberries instead of cherries, and aged tf), I think it was bottled in 2016... Got it from martins of fairview, along with some less sour (but still oude) krieks.

I used one tsp of regular bread yeast, I'd have been surprised if the lambic's yeast was still going :)

450g white strong flour
    50g rye flour (for a fake sourdough vibe ;))
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp dried yeast (the one you dont need to rehydrate)
    350g beer (I drank a few sips...)
    50g water

Mix and leave it sit for a few hours, shape and prove over night.
    Bake at 250ºC (with steam) for 20min and 150CºC for 15mins

I think i might do it again, but with a cheaper beer :) (or straight up lactic acid, I have some coffee machine descaler...)

I got 9/10 - but at least 4 of them were pretty much wild guesses - couldn't believe so many of them landed!

I got 9/10 - but at least 4 of them were pretty much wild guesses - couldn't believe so many of them landed!

I did a quiz on there yesterday that were University Challenge-level questions. I was guessing all the answers and getting them right. It felt like picking the winning lottery numbers. I got 7/10 in the end. :P

• Advertisement

10/10 although the Shaobing and Sangak ones were educated guesses.

Advertisement