Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

First ever attempt at choux pastry.
    Shapes are a bit all over the place but my daughter was happy piping lines and balls as the mood took her.
    Have cream left over..... there’s no other option I’ll just have to make scones In the morning :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

6/10 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

7/10 here too, some lucky guesses. I never have had cornbread (that I know of!) whenever I hear the word I think of this guy (from the film Life with Eddie Murphy)

tenor.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

9/10, the shaobing threw me.

Just to show it's not entirely deserved, today's bread was prooved overnight...

(and it made a phenomenal hang sammich)

I found a couple of stale hot cross buns today, so used them as a base for a bread and butter pudding. I buttered them plus two slices bread. Layered with raisins, 2 beaten eggs, a mug of milk, tablespoon of sugar, nutmeg and mixed spice. I soaked the lot overnight and baked for 45 mins @ 175 degrees. Ate slightly warm with vanilla ice cream. mmmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Made a batch of vegan strawberry & lemon poppy seed scones this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Scones made with leftover sweetened cream.... they are lush and I’m not even a bit sorry.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Got 8 out of 10 in the bread quiz but have to admit 2 were wild guesses. Knew the one about the Latin name for the sourdough yeast though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I found a couple of stale hot cross buns today, so used them as a base for a bread and butter pudding. I buttered them plus two slices bread. Layered with raisins, 2 beaten eggs, a mug of milk, tablespoon of sugar, nutmeg and mixed spice. I soaked the lot overnight and baked for 45 mins @ 175 degrees. Ate slightly warm with vanilla ice cream. mmmmmmmm

I get a great sense of satisfaction when I use something past it's best by date or I was going to throw out to make something that turns out really delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

Tree wrote: »
    9/10, the shaobing threw me.

Just to show it's not entirely deserved, today's bread was prooved overnight...

(and it made a phenomenal hang sammich)

Love it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm really not much of a baker, at all.
    But all the baking talk and actually having flour led me to making a small white soda bread.
    I put a little polenta in it for colour.
    I'm pretty pleased with the result.

https://i.imgur.com/A1S989h.jpg

I'm really not much of a baker, at all.
    But all the baking talk and actually having flour led me to making a small white soda bread.
    I put a little polenta in it for colour.
    I'm pretty pleased with the result.

https://i.imgur.com/A1S989h.jpg

Brilliant. White soda was a treat when we were kids. It wasn’t until much later that we realised that we only got it when the wholemeal had run out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I got the idea from reddit and made pesto bread with olives :

fJAn090.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Made a batch of vegan strawberry & lemon poppy seed scones this morning.

They look lovely, what makes them vegan though? the fat element of the ingredients?
    The star of the show is your view!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

ellejay wrote: »
    They look lovely, what makes them vegan though? the fat element of the ingredients?
    The star of the show is your view!!

Yeah there’s no dairy or eggs in it and I boiled a lemon and blitzed that up minus the seeds and added that. Hard to get tired of that view from my kitchen every day :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

:confused:
    fus3mp7l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

Planet X wrote: »
    :confused:
    fus3mp7l.jpg

You have not only made flapjack interesting - you have made them appetizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Walnut Coffee cake

ck9GtTg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

Made brioche burger buns again but doubled the recipe and made a loaf with bit under half. Had two egg whites left over so had to use them up so hence the Pavlova!

511037.jpg

511038.jpg

511039.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Made a first year Home Ec classic last night: coconut and raspberry buns

• Advertisement

Made a first year Home Ec classic last night: coconut and raspberry buns

There’s a blast from the past!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

There’s a blast from the past!

I know! Was rummaging through my recipe box, thought they’d be nice and I was right! Absolutely delish, real comfort food with a cuppa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I made pitta bread from scratch for the first time. It's very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Been messing around with a lot over the last little while. Still trying to get the hang of tempering chocolate (I feel like I'm in a race against time once it starts getting close to the right temperature!).

Made honeycomb - fizzed up nicely (one to try with kids if they like the volcano experiment :D) but used a metal pan so the sugar kept cooking I think and it also stuck to pan! Ended up cracking some out into a bowl which then congealed into one overnight. Disaster :D

Did a batch of chocolate chip cookies - always good!

Tried making sable biscuits for first time. Saw them on instagram as a base for plated desserts. Worked out well. Ended up with loads of dough left over!

511293.jpg

Experimented with gelatin in mousse to try to get it to hold its shape and then combined the mousse with the biscuit and a chocolate dome (I've been watching too many baking shows :D)

511295.jpg

Yesterday, I made a "brookie" - cookie base and a brownie top layer. BUT the brownie layer seemed to sink into the middle and cookie mixture came up the sides. So I've ended up with a marble cake instead...Tastes nice at least.

511296.jpg

Plenty more on the list of things to try to make still :)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Rice krispes squares made with Mars bars and melted Dairy Milk over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Been messing around with a lot over the last little while. Still trying to get the hang of tempering chocolate (I feel like I'm in a race against time once it starts getting close to the right temperature!).

Made honeycomb - fizzed up nicely (one to try with kids if they like the volcano experiment :D) but used a metal pan so the sugar kept cooking I think and it also stuck to pan! Ended up cracking some out into a bowl which then congealed into one overnight. Disaster :D

Did a batch of chocolate chip cookies - always good!

Tried making sable biscuits for first time. Saw them on instagram as a base for plated desserts. Worked out well. Ended up with loads of dough left over!

Experimented with gelatin in mousse to try to get it to hold its shape and then combined the mousse with the biscuit and a chocolate dome (I've been watching too many baking shows :D)

Yesterday, I made a "brookie" - cookie base and a brownie top layer. BUT the brownie layer seemed to sink into the middle and cookie mixture came up the sides. So I've ended up with a marble cake instead...Tastes nice at least.

Plenty more on the list of things to try to make still :)

You’ve been busy! Those sable biscuits look very professional!

For the honeycomb it needs to be kept in a really dry place, preferably air tight, ie not the fridge etc. If there’s water in the air then it absorbs it and all your pieces will stick together. I’ve found out the hard way!

Brookies work best in my experience with having your brownies batter in the pan first and then dot in balls of frozen cookie dough. It should stop them mixing too much and getting that marbled effect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Made some mini sponge cake buns, filled with fresh cream and homemade lemon curd.

Not the most glamorous looking but very tasty.

Should also mention I dont have an electric whisk so everything was done by hand with either a work, spatula or normal hand whisk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

511409.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

You’ve been busy! Those sable biscuits look very professional!

For the honeycomb it needs to be kept in a really dry place, preferably air tight, ie not the fridge etc. If there’s water in the air then it absorbs it and all your pieces will stick together. I’ve found out the hard way!

Brookies work best in my experience with having your brownies batter in the pan first and then dot in balls of frozen cookie dough. It should stop them mixing too much and getting that marbled effect :)

Thanks! Luckily pans and bowls messed up because of stuck honeycomb clean really easily by just steeping in hot water :D

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pew wrote: »
    Not the most glamorous looking but very tasty.

Genuinely, the thing I most want to eat, on this thread, in ages.

Advertisement