Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

No photo as they looked anaemic but made gluten free white chocolate chip and hazelnut cookies. Recipe only called for 10 mins in the oven but next time I’ll leave them 2-3 mins more, tasty all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

No photo as they looked anaemic but made gluten free white chocolate chip and hazelnut cookies. Recipe only called for 10 mins in the oven but next time I’ll leave them 2-3 mins more, tasty all the same!

Do you have a recipe? I work with a Coeliac and want to make more gluten free things for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Swiss roll. I think the recipie was too much for size of tray and it was slightly too fat and split when rolled...
    but add raspberry jam and cream and all is forgiven :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

pew wrote: »
    Do you have a recipe? I work with a Coeliac and want to make more gluten free things for her.

I just used this one here https://www.oetker.ie/ie-en/recipe/r/white-chocolate-and-hazelnut-cookies

I used doves farm self raising gluten free flour instead of the flour and baking powder in the recipe

Next time I’ll definitely refrigerate before baking and cook at a higher temp for longer - I’m thinking 180/200 degrees for 12 mins

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It was Mr. Dizzy's birthday yesterday and I made him a victoria sponge with mascarpone cream and tons of Bonne Maman strawberry jam. With no visitors we're having to make our way through it all ourselves :)

20200505-150352.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I know the feeling dizzy!
    I had joined a baking class before all of this and we had 2 classes left.
    Last week we did a class with zoom and halved the recipe so i wouldnt have that much as the boyf is g free...ended up with a cake the size of yours there and only me to eat it!

Just made these wee cupcakes at todays one as it was the last one.
    Lemon curd and lemon sponge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

Made baps instead of brioche for my burgers this evening. Much handier it's a recipe with quantities I can learn by heart and lot less steps! Love brioche but can see myself making these more often. They're more versatile too.

IMG_20200505_192622.jpg

IMG_20200505_194250.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Used a new cookie recipe from Butlers to make these double chocolate salted caramel cookies. Very happy with how they turned out!

512029.jpg

Also attempted eclairs and learned a valuable lesson - if you're going to go to the effort of dividing the measurements of a recipe by 4, you should actually follow through with pouring out that much of the wet ingredients as you did with the dry! Ended up with a puddle (which I still baked and ate with ice cream :D)

🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This morning I made Faith's sweet scones from the Cooking Club - I halved the recipe because the full one makes two dozen. I have some mascarpone cream leftover from filling the sponge the other day which will be lovely on them :)

20200507-124034.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

This morning I made Faith's sweet scones from the Cooking Club - I halved the recipe because the full one makes two dozen. I have some mascarpone cream leftover from filling the sponge the other day which will be lovely on them :)

20200507-124034.jpg

Scones look prettier in rounds ,but I prefer to do triangles,cos you don't have scraps left over that you need to rework ,which toughens them ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

I made bread with yeast for the first time everrrrr

DElighted with it. Used a simple recipie from Colm O Gormans Instagram page.

So easy and delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭pigtail33

It was Mr. Dizzy's birthday yesterday and I made him a victoria sponge with mascarpone cream and tons of Bonne Maman strawberry jam. With no visitors we're having to make our way through it all ourselves :)

Did you just add some icing sugar to a tub of mascarpone for the filling? I have two tubs of mascarpone in the fridge, that were supposed to be for an Easter tiramisu, that need using up and I was going to fill a swiss roll with some mascarpone and stewed rhubarb.

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Did you just add some icing sugar to a tub of mascarpone for the filling? I have two tubs of mascarpone in the fridge, that were supposed to be for an Easter tiramisu, that need using up and I was going to fill a swiss roll with some mascarpone and stewed rhubarb.

I did, but I also added some cream too. I've done it before without cream but I find you need to add a little milk to loosen the mascarpone a bit so it's easier to spread.

I did, but I also added some cream too. I've done it before without cream but I find you need to add a little milk to loosen the mascarpone a bit so it's easier to spread.

Thank you Dizzy. I don't have cream, so I'll try with some milk. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks again, that worked perfectly. Vanilla Swiss roll, filled with stewed rhubarb and vanilla mascarpone.

512334.jpg

^ Looks delicious!

We made a fatless sponge, the one where you mix egg yolks n sugar and fold in mixed egg whites

Daughter decorated it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We’ve been given three jars of marmalade so to help get through them Mrs G! made Bread and Butter Pudding.

48-B00-D4-D-80-E6-4-F9-E-B771-2-C4601-E9-DADA.jpg

Yum! There's a lovely Mary Berry marmalade cake recipe from the Bake Off if you're looking for more recipes:

https://gerifood.com/2013/03/orange-marmalade-cake/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Made a hazelnut praline tart over the weekend - crushed biscuits and hazelnuts for the "tart", chocolate ganache interior, and praline for the topping (which was easier to make than expected!). Getting great mileage out of some of the baking competitions of late - this was for Butlers.

512547.jpg

512548.jpg

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs G! was talking to someone from Brazil about baking and they mentioned that Alfajor biscuits were their favourite. Many hours later (a couple of long processes necessary)......

ED227600-9434-4332-938-E-7435-A63-BC898.jpg

Made ham and cheese jambons earlier. So bloody good and a nice change from bread and sweet bakes.

Yum! I've had to stop baking sweet stuff for the minute of we'll have to be cut from the house after the lockdown ends :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Ice cream fall cake for youngest chicks birthday today.....

gifted that looks fabulous!

So much for not baking sweet stuff. I pulled some rhubarb and stewed it with orange rind and brown sugar, then threw in some strawberries that were lurking in the fridge. It was really nice so I ended up making shortcrust pastry and sponge to go with it.

20200516-160955.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

gifted wrote: »
    Ice cream fall cake for youngest chicks birthday today.....

I see you have a good stock of hand sanitizer too.😜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I was given some rhubarb by a neighbour, so made rhubarb cake and rhubarb & raspberry jam.
    That's half the cake. I had some leftover Amaretti biscuits and decided to crumble them over the rhubarb before baking and then added some flaked almonds for good measure. Made for some nice crunch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Faith's Caramel Squares from the Cooking Club

Currently trying to stop myself eating them all in one go

Gluten Free white chocolate and strawberry buns. Really crumbly (forgot to add xantan gum) but delicious. Excuse the pictures, forgot to take one last night before I brought them to work this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Nutella filled Biscotti.

IMG-4794.jpg

Advertisement