Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've been nurturing a sourdough starter (Dough Biden - I was told it's customary to name them) for the past week and a half and it was finally ready today so I made a loaf. It went well apart from sticking to the tea towel on the second prove. Just waiting for it to cool enough to cut now.

20200522-185417.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I've been nurturing a sourdough starter (Dough Biden - I was told it's customary to name them) for the past week and a half and it was finally ready today so I made a loaf. It went well apart from sticking to the tea towel on the second prove. Just waiting for it to cool enough to cut now.

Looks great! :)
    I heard a great tip to use rice flour (or a 50/50 rice flour/ap white flour mix) to help. Mine stuck to the banneton a few times but the rice flour definitely helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Realised before going to bed last night that we had no bread for breakfast this morning.

Overnight, no knead bread recipe to the rescue. So easy, it’s nearly embarrassing. :)

99-D87-C55-B5-FB-4-D5-F-9361-B2-E0304667-C1.jpgimg free

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Can you share the receipe please?
    Looks great!!
    Realised before going to bed last night that we had no bread for breakfast this morning.

Overnight, no knead bread recipe to the rescue. So easy, it’s nearly embarrassing. :)

99-D87-C55-B5-FB-4-D5-F-9361-B2-E0304667-C1.jpgimg free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Something other than banana bread to use up the very overripe bananas. Banana muffins! Some turned a bit mutant though, must be a hot spot in my oven.

514011.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Friday night pizzas were accompanied by garlic cheese (spring onion and generous sprinkle of salt) bread.

received-188643972317270.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Anjunadeep wrote: »
    Can you share the receipe please?
    Looks great!!

I have it bookmarked, though I haven't tried it yet :)

https://pinchofyum.com/no-knead-bread

I have it bookmarked, though I haven't tried it yet :)

https://pinchofyum.com/no-knead-bread

Yep, the one I used was very similar. I’m starting to get very annoyed with bloggers waffling on about all sorts of nonsense when all you want is the bloody recipe. :(

It was lovely and fresh but I missed the extra flavour you get with a sourdough. I wonder is there a sourdough no-knead recipe out there? The hunt starts now......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Ryath

Coconut macaroons. Daughter wanted to make coconut cookies but I couldn't find my usual recipe. After googling she decided she wanted these instead!

Embracing my inner Jackson Pollock!
    514036.jpg

514038.jpg

It was lovely and fresh but I missed the extra flavour you get with a sourdough. I wonder is there a sourdough no-knead recipe out there? The hunt starts now......:)

Had to read through a few to find a genuine no-knead recipe..,,...

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018028-sourdough-no-knead-bread?register=email&auth=register-email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭gifted

Strawberry and frangipane tart....first time trying it, the tribe better like it lol lol

Edit...it's a gallette I've been told lol lol

That looks good - so many of them are still very faffy.

I make a wholemeal no-knead yeast loaf that's nice. It's a Donal Skehan recipe but there's a Ballymaloe one that's practically identical and uses 50g of strong white flour and 400g of wholemeal rather than all wholemeal, and that's the mix I use.

https://donalskehan.com/recipes/irish-brown-yeast-bread/

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

Made some Japanese mochi and put a matcha & red bean macaron on the side

I baked ciabattas and big chocolate chip cookies with added fudge pieces this morning.

20200528-130217.jpg

20200528-130310.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Don't those ciabatta look just like slippers? :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The foot wearing the one on the right has a wonky toe and bunions! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Victoria sponge.

New Home wrote: »

You can put people off bread you know! :rolleyes:

tangy wrote: »
    Don't those ciabatta look just like slippers? :)

They tasted a lot better than slippers.

:pac: :pac: :pac:

That's the last time I show you lot my ciabattas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Ryath

Foccacia I usually make it on a baking tray but tried it out in a tin. Definitely better for making sandwiches with it.

514592.jpg

• Advertisement

Rainbow cake for my daughter’s 4th birthday today!

Could have done with some more green food colouring and another tub of cream cheese but hey, it still tasted great.

DBE63-E9-B-B7-EA-4696-9-C6-F-EB0877-A7-B4-A3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The best scones I have ever made. Lighter than air. Sorry for the crap photo. It doesn’t do them justice. I used self-raising flour rather than the listed plain flour and added a pinch more baking powder. The recipe also calls for whole eggs but I just used the egg yolks. I read somewhere that egg whites can dry out cakes and scones so I’ve been experimenting with that a bit in baked goods where eggs aren’t absolutely necessary (some scone recipes don’t include eggs at all). To compensate for the lack of moisture from the egg whites, I used the max amount of milk that they suggest. They suggest between 50 - 100 mls of milk so I used 100 mls. The egg whites didn’t go to waste. I put them in a cup and my husband added them to the pan when he was doing fried eggs for breakfast the next day. :)

I’ve also been trying to figure out if using unsalted butter makes any difference in baking. I use salted when baking despite pretty much every recipe listing unsalted butter. But I weighed out how much salt was in my 227g block of butter and it wasn’t an inconsiderable amount as the second photo here shows. There was 4g of salt in the block according to the label and that’s what 4g of salt looks like. So the last few things I’ve baked, I’ve used unsalted butter and just added a pinch of salt. I don’t really know if there was a difference in rise or texture. What do y’all think yourselves? The flavour is just as good with unsalted butter though, I find. I use a lot of recipes from British sites and I have noticed a bit that some British people have a thing against salted butter and believe it’s salted to mask a lower quality product. I do not agree with them there but I do wonder if higher salt content might affect rise or lightness of baked goods.

Anyway, sorry for prattling on. :o

Scone recipe:
    https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/lemon-scones-with-clotted-cream.html

4-B729-ABF-1672-42-D2-8-F34-7972247018-F8.jpg?dl=1

07768-D0-C-788-A-4-ED0-A7-F7-D78-B530-D0773.jpg?dl=1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

To me, that's a hhhuuuge amount of salt, way more than a pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

Salt has no impact on the rise or lightness, it's entirely for flavour. I use salted butter for all baking and don't add any salt that might be in the recipe but I use unsalted for buttercream especially vanilla, a stronger flavour buttercream like chocolate/coffee and salted butter won't matter to taste.

Irish butter I don't find very salty but apparently it differs worldwide and salt makes it keep better so maybe that's why more might be added in different climates.

On scones I always just use yolks as I use a lot of whites so they are the waste product :) I would always add extra baking powder to self raising flour for scones as the amount in sr flour is grand for a cake but more is needed for a heavier mix like a scone. I'm old enough to remember when the old tins of baking powder had a guide on the side for how much to add for different things and it was always nearly double for scones than for cakes. It's fine to use plain flour too once you add the recommended amount of baking powder. Cream as the liquid (old stuff heading past it's best) makes a lovely textured scone, very light and crumbly, lovely with strawberries and cream :)

To me, that's a hhhuuuge amount of salt, way more than a pinch.

I know, right? 4g doesn’t sound like much but when you weigh it out. :eek: Now of course, it wouldn’t be 4g in cake and scones mixes I’m making because I’d use no more than half a block per bake but even 2g of salt is a lot going by the amount in that ramekin there.
    phormium wrote: »
    Salt has no impact on the rise or lightness, it's entirely for flavour. I use salted butter for all baking and don't add any salt that might be in the recipe but I use unsalted for buttercream especially vanilla, a stronger flavour buttercream like chocolate/coffee and salted butter won't matter to taste.

Irish butter I don't find very salty but apparently it differs worldwide and salt makes it keep better so maybe that's why more might be added in different climates.

Okay, that’s interesting! I suspected it didn’t make any difference to the rise but it was an interesting experience nonetheless. I tried unsalted for these scones and also a madeira cake and the rise seemed the same as when I’d made them before. I don’t find Irish butter salty to the taste either. And I vehemently defend it when somebody says the addition of salt denotes lower quality butter.
    On scones I always just use yolks as I use a lot of whites so they are the waste product :) I would always add extra baking powder to self raising flour for scones as the amount in sr flour is grand for a cake but more is needed for a heavier mix like a scone.

Ah, so you’re a non-lazy baker. :) I am a lazy baker, I’m afraid. Idiot-proof recipes only, please. Any recipe that involves egg whites being beaten, I disregard. I’m curious to try brownies and angel food cake but it’s not going to happen. :pac: In fairness, I don’t have any kind of electric whisk or mixer so it would be a lot of work. Also, I don’t have the special tin for angel food cake.

I make a lot of meringues and swiss meringue buttercream and yes you most definitely need an electric whisk at least and preferably a stand mixer :) I have never made angel food cake, doesn't appeal to me, always looks dry! Brownies though wouldn't need a mixer either, well not all recipes, there are many types of brownies and some you could just do by hand in a bowl without any power tools :)

Here you are, no mixer needed and you could leave out the raspberries and white chocolate no problem if you prefer, if adding raspberries though I would freeze them first, they stay whole better when stirring in than if fresh.

https://countrylifemystyle.com/2017/11/04/chocolate-brownies-with-raspberries-white-chocolate-chunks/

I make a lot of meringues and swiss meringue buttercream and yes you most definitely need an electric whisk at least and preferably a stand mixer :) I have never made angel food cake, doesn't appeal to me, always looks dry! Brownies though wouldn't need a mixer either, well not all recipes, there are many types of brownies and some you could just do by hand in a bowl without any power tools :)

Here you are, no mixer needed and you could leave out the raspberries and white chocolate no problem if you prefer, if adding raspberries though I would freeze them first, they stay whole better when stirring in than if fresh.

https://countrylifemystyle.com/2017/11/04/chocolate-brownies-with-raspberries-white-chocolate-chunks/

Wow, yes, that looks really easy. I think I can manage that recipe. :D Have you ever used that recipe yourself?

I don’t think I’ll ever make angel food cake because I find the amount of eggs it uses a bit obscene. And yeah, I do wonder if it would be dry. I’m curious about it because I’ve never tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Red Pesto and Pecorino Bread

P9w8BQ1.jpg

It's still cooling at the moment, but something tells me this won't be around for long. It smells great :D

No I've never used that particular brownie recipe but it's a Rachel Allen one so should work :)

I have loads of recipes for brownies in my folder old style :) as there are different types, fudgy/cakey/gooey and it all depends on the method and amount of flour in them. The more flour the more cake like, that one reads nice and I would agree that a good chocolate to use is the Aldi red wrapper 200g bars, they are 50% cocoa solids which is about perfect for a good flavour without being too strong. Just ate a few squares of a bar as it happens :)

I don't make brownies much anymore as I have no self control and will eat way too many!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

Made some naan breads to go with the tandoori chicken I bbq'd
    then finished it off with some cannoli was too late by the time I got a pic they were nearly finished:)

Advertisement