Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made a bloomer pan today. We've bought almost no bread since the lockdown because I've been buying strong white flour in bulk. And bulk is what we've been packing on as a result :eek: :pac:

20200701-144956.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I made the peanut butter and chocolate pie that was posted about a couple of weeks ago!

Didn't taste too bad although I may add more cream cheese to thicken up the filling.

I also typed the recipe up as a Google docs file if anyone is looking to make it. Just DM me and I'll send it on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

A few bakes over the last few days

Raspberry and White Chocolate Ricotta Pound Cake

And Raspberry Brownies

Both unreal!

Apologies the pics are all sideways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Hi Leahyl- would you mind posting the recipe for the ricotta cake. I’d love to try that tomorrow.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Hi Leahyl- would you mind posting the recipe for the ricotta cake. I’d love to try that tomorrow.

Hi Cork Lass the recipe is Donal Skehan - it’s on his Instagram! Or if you’re not on Instagram you should be able to get it directly from his website - there’s a white chocolate icing with It too but I didn’t bother with that but would be nice for a special occasion alright I’d say :-)

• Advertisement

Thanks a million Leahyl - definitely making it today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Sesame Bagels. I'll freeze off some of then and that's 2 of us sorted for the rest of the week for lunch.

Made the ricotta cake today Leahyl. It was a hit with everyone - I left off the toppings too as I felt it was rich enough on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Chocolate Guinness Cake

519330.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I was given some Jostaberries, so made the Gooseberry Crumble Tart recipe out of last Saturday's (July 4th) Irish Times Magazine. Very nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Bacon and cheese muffins to go with a bowl of soup for a light lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

We've bought almost no bread since the lockdown because I've been buying strong white flour in bulk.

Lockdown baker here who was buying 15kg bags of Strong White Flour from Pallas Collect but now they've closed the service I've no idea where to source decent sized bags of Strong White Flour preferably at least 5kg or more.

Any suggestions for online or in the South Dublin city/county area i.e. Blackrock to Sandyford/Stepaside?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Crispy M&M cookies with plain and white chocolate chips and some rocky road.

520034.jpg

We are eating a disgraceful amount of sugar lately :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

54and56 wrote: »
    Lockdown baker here who was buying 15kg bags of Strong White Flour from Pallas Collect

you should email them and show your interest. They could well bring it back if there was enough interest, they could just go to fewer spots and increase the minimum spend and price of the items if they are worried about profits.

I missed out on using them, I have no car so was limited about what I could carry. It was near my work so my plan was bringing the haul back there and bring home bit by bit.

People were saying Pallas did collect stuff before lockdown, I think you had to go to their main depot.

You could also try a local independent health store, I got a bag of grains before and they were far cheaper per kilo than the usual 500g bags they sold. They just looked up their suppliers price lists and I guess applied their usual margin.

There was also talk of aldi and/or lidl getting 16kg bags in, might have stopped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Lockdown baker here who was buying 15kg bags of Strong White Flour from Pallas Collect but now they've closed the service I've no idea where to source decent sized bags of Strong White Flour preferably at least 5kg or more.

Any suggestions for online or in the South Dublin city/county area i.e. Blackrock to Sandyford/Stepaside?

I used this (may have been a recommendation from this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

rubadub wrote: »
    you should email them and show your interest. They could well bring it back if there was enough interest, they could just go to fewer spots and increase the minimum spend and price of the items if they are worried about profits.

I missed out on using them, I have no car so was limited about what I could carry. It was near my work so my plan was bringing the haul back there and bring home bit by bit.

People were saying Pallas did collect stuff before lockdown, I think you had to go to their main depot.

You could also try a local independent health store, I got a bag of grains before and they were far cheaper per kilo than the usual 500g bags they sold. They just looked up their suppliers price lists and I guess applied their usual margin.

There was also talk of aldi and/or lidl getting 16kg bags in, might have stopped now.

I was getting the 16kg bags in Aldi during lockdown went up last week looking for them and they told me they were out of stock and wont be doing them anymore

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I get mine online, they often deliver the next day. I buy Marriage's Uppermost Finest Bread Flour, it's a beautiful flour.

https://kellswholemeal.ie/shop/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Been making different flavour ‘sushi’ - takes lots of time so better for the diet and semi healthy. Hot (spicy) mackrel, basil and black sesame seed and avacado and plain mackrel flavours. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Also hot cinamon and fruit of the forest scones. Quite yum and some of my missing 5 a day now taken care of! Bit scorched but tasty!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Question: I bought a bread machine. I tested it this morning. All would have been ok, except for the fact that I should have tested the dry yeast first, it must have been too old (it was at the back of the press, to be fair), so as a result the dough didn't rise at all, not even one bit. I took it out of the machine and put it in a bowl before it started cooking, now my question is, can I use the unleavened dough to make something else, e.g. pitta bread? Can I rescue it in any other way, if I get more yeast, for instance, and knead it again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

New Home wrote: »
    Question: I bought a bread machine. I tested it this morning. All would have been ok, except for the fact that I should have tested the dry yeast first, it must have been too old (it was at the back of the press, to be fair), so as a result the dough didn't rise at all, not even one bit. I took it out of the machine and put it in a bowl before it started cooking, now my question is, can I use the unleavened dough to make something else, e.g. pitta bread? Can I rescue it in any other way, if I get more yeast, for instance, and knead it again?

Flat breads or pitta bread maybe. Or try the no-knead bread method, which uses very little yeast?

Cover it with a wet towel or cling film and leave it overnight. Tomorrow, put a cast iron pot in an oven and heat it up to 230c+.

When it’s hot enough, get a sheet of baking paper, sprinkle some flour over it and then scrape the dough out onto the paper.

Take pot out of oven. Remove lid.

Lift the corners of the paper and place In pot and put lid back on.

Put in oven covered for 30 minutes. Take lid off and back in oven for 15 minutes.

How does it look now?

Good luck! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That was why I bought the bread machine... my oven cuts off if it tries to go over 180°-200° C - would it work with a skillet on a cooker ring instead of the oven?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I'm no expert but in your shoes, I'd get a fresh container of yeast, add the original amount again and knead again. If you're worried about a strong yeast aroma or taste, I'd make it a seedy bread with pumpkin and sunflower seeds kneaded in to the dough or a spicy fruit version with brown sugar, cinnamon, ground cloves and currants or raisins, maybe the zest of an orange or lemon as well - one big hot cross bun. You've come this far, what do you have to lose? I've been thinking about bread makers too because my oven also has ideas of its own. Whatever way you go, I'll bet it's good!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Something I didn't know until recently is that there's a kind of yeast that's suitable for bread machines and a kind that isn't. I was looking to see if my yeast was vegan but it wasn't and apparently there's a coating on the bread machine yeast to protect it during the process (that's what makes it not vegan). It works for hand baking but the one that's vegan friendly specifically says you can't use it in bread machines.

That's amazing, I didn't know that, thanks!

I just had another look at my jar, here: 1. It says it *isn't* suitable for bread machines; 2. It needs to be reactivated in water before use (which I didn't do) and 3. it's waaaaaay out of date. I guess I'll use it as fertiliser... as for the dough, I'm hoping to get more yeast tomorrow, I'll try adding that again and see how it goes. Thanks for the tips, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sheep26

Kani Maki Baked

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

So I finally found some sachets of yeast in the supermarket! I still have no strong or 00 flour though and have no desire to order a massive bag online. I have easy access to self-raising flour and plain flour.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could make good use of the yeast? Ideally to make some kind of bread. Bearing in mind that I've never baked bread or anything bread-like in my life :P (well I did pizza dough using self-raising flour and greek yogurt, but desperate times...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

woodchuck wrote: »
    So I finally found some sachets of yeast in the supermarket! I still have no strong or 00 flour though and have no desire to order a massive bag online. I have easy access to self-raising flour and plain flour.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could make good use of the yeast? Ideally to make some kind of bread. Bearing in mind that I've never baked bread or anything bread-like in my life :P (well I did pizza dough using self-raising flour and greek yogurt, but desperate times...)

On Colm O Gorman Instagram page he has a recipie for bread using yeast n Plain white Flour. It’s amazingly easy and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

woodchuck wrote: »

Woodchuck, if you are stuck there is an Italian shop in Smithfield called Little Italy and they should have some there.

I made bagels using Plain Flour and they turned out fine, used the yeast too.

• Advertisement

Well, no baking involved in this really but it’s still something sweet....strawberry cheesecake :-)

Advertisement