Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Badabing1

Lidl are selling small bags of 00 flour, think it was 1 kg bag for 70c? Would 00 be good for pizza dough?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Badabing1 wrote: »
    Lidl are selling small bags of 00 flour, think it was 1 kg bag for 70c? Would 00 be good for pizza dough?

Yes, perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Badabing1

Great, thanks��

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Asked my dad to send up some blackcurrants with my brother when he was home the other day... he sent a few kilos :D

Made a crumble tonight, tomorrow is jam

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

Forgot to take pictures but I made the chocolate caramel sheet cake and the turtle brownies from Edd Kimber's new book 'One Tin Bakes'.

I absolutely love the book! It is great how every recipe is for the one cake tin. So handy.

The sheet cake was very moist and the caramel chocolate ganache was very tasty but not too sweet as the salt cut through it.

The brownies need to be refrigerated in order to get a fudgy texture. I divided them in half. The ones I did not refrigerate were a bit dry and cakey. I prefer a fudgey, chewy brownie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I already posted these in the cooking club recipe thread for them but I made Millionaire Squares at the weekend. They were yum :)

521310.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Victoria Sandwich :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭gifted

Middle chicks birthday today so she asked me to make chocolate sponge cake with fruit and nut bar, blitzed some of the bar and mixed it into the butter cream icing as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Attempt n. 4 - sourdough in the bread machine! I didn't follow a programme, I used it for kneading and baking. Mind you, it took nearly 3 days of proving, knocking back, adding, kneading, proving, etc. but I'm extremely happy with how it turned out, despite having forgotten to slash it before baking it. It also smells like proper bakery bread. The taste test will have to wait until it's cooled enough to cut. :)

522562.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not really baking but made a batch of no bake flapjack with chopped dates I had in from Holland and Barrett.

I keep wondering about a bread machine .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Your flapjacks sound lovely, I really like dates! I keep wondering about a bread machine too but I'm afraid it would just take up more space on an already congested counter!

janmaree wrote: »
    Your flapjacks sound lovely, I really like dates! I keep wondering about a bread machine too but I'm afraid it would just take up more space on an already congested counter!

Most of my interesting foods come by post from H and B. Order over E25 and shipping is free.. I have no access to shops in person and they have a great range. Always fast delivery too. Baking for me is not possible as I don't have the stamina any more at present. I tried the slow cooker with a fruit cake but it burnt before it was done

I had a bread machine decades ago.

Just tried baking a lemon drizzle cake.....collapsed in the middle again....that's about the 4th cake in a row that has collapsed in the middle.....aaarrgghhhhh.......I should really post this in the annoy forum...apologies for venting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

gifted wrote: »
    Just tried baking a lemon drizzle cake.....collapsed in the middle again....that's about the 4th cake in a row that has collapsed in the middle.....aaarrgghhhhh.......I should really post this in the annoy forum...apologies for venting

What recipe were you using, MB all in one? Although that would not explain the other ones, are you measuring raising agent correctly as in level teaspoons? Too much doesn't make it higher, it makes it fall!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Use a tin like this, problem solved!
    LC_20200423_US_PS_NS_94102326001100_001.png?sw=765&sh=575&sm=fit

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

phormium wrote: »
    Too much doesn't make it higher, it makes it fall!
    and some "plain" flours have small amounts of raising agents already, so read the ingredients lists.

phormium wrote: »
    What recipe were you using, MB all in one? Although that would not explain the other ones, are you measuring raising agent correctly as in level teaspoons? Too much doesn't make it higher, it makes it fall!

Ya.....went through baking cupboard with a fine tooth comb and noticed the baking powder was out of date so hopefully this is the problem.....was baking no bother before the last four attempts.....I'll keep trying...thanks for replying though....and reading my venting lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

New Home wrote: »
    Attempt n. 4 - sourdough in the bread machine! I didn't follow a programme, I used it for kneading and baking. Mind you, it took nearly 3 days of proving, knocking back, adding, kneading, proving, etc. but I'm extremely happy with how it turned out, despite having forgotten to slash it before baking it. It also smells like proper bakery bread. The taste test will have to wait until it's cooled enough to cut. :)

522562.jpg

I’ve been experimenting with this lately too. I just use the bread machine for the kneading and bake it in the oven. I don’t think the bread machine is suitable for baking sourdough. After kneading, I let it prove for around 6 hours. Then I shape it and leave it overnight in the proving basket. I take it out and wait about two hours before baking at 225 degrees on a pizza stone. There are plenty of ways, but this seems to give the best results for me.

Photo of one of mine.

Ya.....went through baking cupboard with a fine tooth comb and noticed the baking powder was out of date so hopefully this is the problem.....was baking no bother before the last four attempts.....I'll keep trying...thanks for replying though....and reading my venting lol lol

Unless it was in a very damp place it shouldn't actually go off, it's chemical, not "biological". Have you tried using one of those oven thermometers to see if the actual temperature matches that shown by the oven itself?
    el_gaucho wrote: »
    I’ve been experimenting with this lately too. I just use the bread machine for the kneading and bake it in the oven. I don’t think the bread machine is suitable for baking sourdough. After kneading, I let it prove for around 6 hours. Then I shape it and leave it overnight in the proving basket. I take it out and wait about two hours before baking at 225 degrees on a pizza stone. There are plenty of ways, but this seems to give the best results for me.

That's good to know, thanks. You see, my main problem is my stupid oven, anything over 180°-190° C approx and it trips the switch. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That's good to know, thanks. You see, my main problem is my stupid oven, anything over 180°-190° C approx and it trips the switch. :/

Have you thought about getting a new oven? Or getting your old one repaired?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

If you'd like to try again, I always have great success with this recipe, it's easy and tastes great. I use the oil only, not the applesauce and it always turns out well. (Hope I can copy this OK.)

Glazed Lemon Yogurt Cake
    This homemade lemon cake is so moist, tender, soft, and delicious! Yogurt inside the cake and in the glaze on top. This lemon cake is the best dessert for summertime or anytime.

Course: Dessert Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 35 minutesTotal Time: 50 minutes Servings: 12 pieces Author: Jessica - Together as Family
    Ingredients
    Lemon Cake

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon zest (about 3 lemons)
    1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
    4 large eggs
    3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
    1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Lemon Yogurt Glaze

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon plain or vanilla yogurt
    Instructions
    Heat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish by spraying with cooking spray and set aside.
    In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
    In a large bowl, combine the lemon zest and sugar and lightly rub together with your fingers or a fork until well combined. This helps release the oils in the zest which helps with the lemon flavor. Add in the eggs, oil, yogurt, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix together well using a spatula, whisk, or wooden spoon.
    Stir in the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined.
    Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs. The middle should not be "jiggly" at all. It should be rounded and domed and cooked (use the toothpick to test).
    While the cake is baking, whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth and pourable. Let the cake rest for 10 minutes after baking and then pour the glaze over the warm cake.
    You can serve this cake warm, at room temperature, or chilled. Store leftovers covered in the fridge. It will stay moist for several days.
    Notes
    I tried making this cake again using lemon yogurt and I would NOT recommend it. It sounds like a great idea but the artificial lemon flavor from the yogurt was all you can taste. Stick with plain yogurt, vanilla yogurt or even French vanilla yogurt.

You can use regular yogurt or Greek yogurt. I prefer using regular yogurt as I don't like the thicker, more sour flavor of Greek yogurt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

You can test if your baking powder is still good by adding a small spoonful to a cup of boiling water. If it's still good, it'll fizz up!

I had to do this during the lockdown when I couldn't find any fresh stuff in the supermarkets, but found some old stuff at the back of the cupboard. Turned out our old baking powder was still good :cool:

Have you thought about getting a new oven? Or getting your old one repaired?

I would if it were actually my own oven but it's not and I don't want to bother the landlord over a cooker that might be 18 odd years old but aside from not heating up enough to bake bread is otherwise perfectly adequate for everything else.

I would it it were actually my own oven but it's not and I don't want to bother the landlord over a cooker that might be 18 odd years old but aside from not heating up enough to bake bread is otherwise perfectly adequate for everything else.

Here’s one in Argos for €50. It goes up to 220c. Go on, treat yourself! :)

I would it it were actually my own oven but it's not and I don't want to bother the landlord over a cooker that might be 18 odd years old but aside from not heating up enough to bake bread is otherwise perfectly adequate for everything else.

Pity. The high temperatures definitely help.

Here’s one in Argos for €50. It goes up to 220c. Go on, treat yourself! :)

Link, please. I looked it up yesterday but couldn't find it. :)

Link, please. I looked it up yesterday but couldn't find it. :)

Sorry, thought i'd linked it. Here you go

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9381098/Trail/searchtext%3EOVEN.htm

More flapjack.. golden sultanas this time.. real comfort food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

I was given a Lemon thyme Shortbread biscuit recipe this evening and gave it a go. They came out very well. I would do it again.

Advertisement