Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Not happy with that, first time to use the recipe,

https://www.odlums.ie/recipes/strawberry-cream-sponge/

No butter, 75grs self raising and same caster sugar. 3 eggs. yada yada.

b853yk4l.jpg

Very flat, not as good as a 200gr butter/flour/sugar sponge. Maybe that's the way it's meant to be, "flat'ish"?

Inside, strawberries and raspberries. Not alot.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

To get that not come out flatish you need to fold the egg whites almost without knocking any of the air out. Also, if you use a kitchenaid-type mixer when beating the eggs it makes a huge difference.

....but the recipe says......beat in the caster sugar into egg whites, I'd presume air will suffer then?
    Then egg yolks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

That is a brilliant whisked sponge recipe, it's the one I always use when I want a fatless sponge, you are meant to beat the egg whites as instructed. It's a much easier method to get good results from rather than the traditional beat the whole eggs and sugar first and fold in the flour, you get more volume and less chance of deflation with beating the egg whites first as that recipe does.

The flat part comes from you don't have enough mix for the size tins you used regardless of whether they are the size recommended or not. That is a much smaller amount of mix than the recipe you mentioned of 200g of each etc.

When I make that sponge I have a 2 egg mix per 7/8" tin as one layer, if doing a 9" I'd have that whole 3 egg mix in it and another 3 egg one for the other half of the cake.

A fatless/whisked sponge is perfect for a fresh cream sandwich with fruit for example, much lighter than a victoria sponge, doesn't last as long though as no fat and best eaten same day, can get away with it for next day if it's been in the fridge filled with cream :)

Your cake looks perfect, bake another layer and stick it on the next time :)

As a matter of interest what size were your tins?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭gifted

Lemon meringue pie...eldest chick did a lot of the prep...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Some cupcakes for my niece's birthday

My sister and her husband are vegan, so the cupcakes needed to be too

Lemon cupcakes with lemon "butter"cream icing with vegan lemon curd in some of them and paw patrol toppers on the rest ðŸ˜

As a matter of interest what size were your tins?[/QUOTE]

8".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Planet X wrote: »
    ....but the recipe says......beat in the caster sugar into egg whites, I'd presume air will suffer then?
    Then egg yolks.
    It depends on how you add it, but that's how you make meringues, so no, not really unless you really make a mess of it.
    Did you have to beat the egg yolks into the whites? Because that definitely would! Usually it's fold the meringue in installment into the yolk/sugar mixture after you've added the flour, IIRC.

New Home wrote: »
    It depends on how you add it, but that's how you make meringues, so no, not really unless you really make a mess of it.
    Did you have to beat the egg yolks into the whites? Because that definitely would! Usually it's fold the meringue in insyallment into the yolk/sugar mixture after you've added the flour, IIRC.

I use this recipe all the time, it works perfectly, it's a whisked sponge which even for the other more usual method doesn't fold in the meringue into the egg/sugar mix. It's just a different method for a fatless genoise sponge, a better quicker more stable method in my opinion that doesn't deflate the mix as easily as the standard method as you are starting with a firmer mix of the egg white/sugar which whips up way better than the usual full egg/sugar mix. It doesn't really rise much as the eggs are already at full volume going into oven so the only bit of a lift is from the self raising flour.

Have a look at the Odlums recipe mentioned, it's really easy, quick and works well but only complaint I would have about it is I like higher layers so would use a bigger mix or smaller tin for the small batch in the recipe. There are quite a few questionable recipes on the Odlums site that aren't really right imo or have the wrong pic with the recipe but this one works well method wise but I like cakes taller so would usually add another layer to make 3 :)

New Home wrote: »
    Did you have to beat the egg yolks into the whites? Because that definitely would! Usually it's fold the meringue in insyallment into the yolk/sugar mixture after you've added the flour, IIRC.

Yeah.....I beat the caster sugar into the egg white mix, then beat the yolks in. Sifted/folded the flour in.

Is this all wrong then? How should I add the sugar and yolks?

• Advertisement

Ah OK, just re read your post. Should I beat the yolks and sugar first then add the beaten whites and fold the flour in?

If you beat half of the sugar with the yolks (until they're fluffy), add the sieved flour, then beat the rest of the sugar with the whites (maybe adding it as you went along until they're stiff), then stir some of the whites into the yolks to soften the mixture before folding the whites into it, it might knock out less air. I'm not saying that the other way doesn't work at all, but I'd be a bit iffy about stirring fats into egg whites.
    Sorry, meantbto add, the fats would go with the yolks mixture..

Hot dang!!!!!
    My son knocked this up this morning.......no pressure Dad!!!

RlQjnHFl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Not happy with that, first time to use the recipe,

https://www.odlums.ie/recipes/strawberry-cream-sponge/

No butter, 75grs self raising and same caster sugar. 3 eggs. yada yada.

Very flat, not as good as a 200gr butter/flour/sugar sponge. Maybe that's the way it's meant to be, "flat'ish"?

Inside, strawberries and raspberries. Not alot.....

If this is any help to you my mother gave me a great fatless sponge recipe that she learned back in school. (About 50 years ago.)
    It's never failed yet..

She calls it the three 3's
    3 oz self raising
    3 oz castor sugar
    3 eggs
    Whip the sugar and eggs together first, mixture should tripple or quadruple in size, this takes longer than you'd expect. About 15 mins with my mixer on med speed.
    Then carefully fold in the sifted flour.
    The size of the sponge fits on a side plate when cooked, the tins are 7/8".

My own mod to the recipe is that I've increased the eggs to four (size large) and add a half teaspoon of baking powder.

For a third layer just increase by a third. 5 eggs in total.

photo-24.JPG

photo-25.JPG

:pac:
    Puff pastry, minced pork and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.

8VzYLo2l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

German vanilla and chocolate cheesecake (Russischer Zupfkuchen)

Hcgo5dg.jpg

:pac:
    Puff pastry, minced pork and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.

Try with some finely chopped chorizo. Unbelievably good! You don’t need much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

With irel coffee being discontinued ti , what are you all using as a substitute?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Davidious

wish i could cook, but i do make a nice sambo, turkey cheese gherkins chef brown sauce

Gael23 wrote: »
    With irel coffee being discontinued ti , what are you all using as a substitute?

Camp brand is the same stuff, in a plastic bottle these days slightly different shape, used to be exact same bottle as Irel but changed now, I usually buy it in Dunnes but Tesco/Supervalu would usually have it too, sometimes in baking section but sometimes with tea/coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Chicken, bacon and mushroom pie. Looks like a bit of a dogs breakfast due to the lack of a proper pie dish but it was so good.

1.jpg
    2.jpg

Black pudding sausage roll for brekkie

3.jpg

Need to do some exercise later!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

Was in a baking mood today for the first time in months, so made sticky toffee apple buns (via The Guardian) and four braid challah. The dough for the buns was super wet so they ended up with no shape and were a bit too sweet for me, but they disappeared very quickly from the table. The challah was lovely - should have been a normal loaf shape, but it was too long for the baking tin so hence the circle!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Made an apple crumble cake except left out the crumble!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭gifted

First time making an Irish Soda bread.... Mary Berry recipe.

Looks great, love soda bread, got a notion last night around 10 p.m. for some so thawed out a quarter loaf I had in the freezer, ate the lot of it with some blackcurrant jam, yum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Another batch of my old friend no bake flapjack! I know; not truly " baking" but the result is the same.. Added this time some golden sultanas. As they say it " hits the spot" on a dark day.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

Cbc base, sponge on top for niece's communion.
    [IMG][/img]xfxC4a7m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Gluten free buns. Bottom layer vanilla sponge, salted caramel filing and a chocolate sponge on top.

Also made an apple sponge cake with a crumble topping. Had some warm with custard.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    Another batch of my old friend no bake flapjack! I know; not truly " baking" but the result is the same.. Added this time some golden sultanas. As they say it " hits the spot" on a dark day.

Oh. today I replaced most of the syrup with honey and reduced the sugar.. .and added chopped dates.. Best yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Apple Cake with marzipan in the batter. After baking it is sprinkled with flaked almonds and icing sugar and briefly caramelised under the grill.

Advertisement