Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

Recent jam and fresh cream sponge, can't beat them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

phormium wrote: »

wow some height on that sponge! looks amazing :)

Height is all to do with size of tin and amount of mix, they don't rise that high so you have to start with enough in the first place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I want to make corn tortillas and any recipe I see recommends masa harina flour, I presume that stuff is just cornflour at the end of the day? Im not near the Mexican shop so cant get any masa harina due to county lockdown so just wondering if regular cornflour would work the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Must be in the air phomium, I made a fatless sponge!
    image1-3.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    cornflour would work the same.
    Most corn flour you get here is corn starch, not simply floured corn. (some places might be selling imported stuff)

check the nutritional info, it will be very low in protein, fibre if it is starch
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=272963048

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornflour
    Cornflour may refer to:
    Cornflour (in the UK), corn starch, from the endosperm of the kernel of the corn (maize) grain
    Corn flour (in the US and elsewhere), very finely ground cornmeal, ground from dried maize

so be careful reading recipes online

Health food shops might have something suitable
    https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/holland-barrett-maize-meal-60029151?skuid=029151&&&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&gclid=CjwKCAjw5p_8BRBUEiwAPpJO623fxpCsB-MPaVR1lo10GnN2H-j-8gAqbARAKiVwdlRVJ76NUxPbVBoCXpIQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Choc Fudge Cake made with my nephew recently

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

I want to make corn tortillas and any recipe I see recommends masa harina flour, I presume that stuff is just cornflour at the end of the day? Im not near the Mexican shop so cant get any masa harina due to county lockdown so just wondering if regular cornflour would work the same.

When you say cornflour, you mean the coarser stuff like fine polenta rather than the cornflour used to thicken sauces? I think ourselves and the Americans use different words for this, which often confuses me.

In any case, the (coarse) corn flour is different to masa harina. The corn kernel is just ground down for corn flour, whereas for masa harina it's soaked in lime water first. According to my Mexican friend who has made tortillas for me several times, the soaking makes the flour softer and tastier some how.

Can't remember the rules about chatting on this thread, but here's some pictures of the ugly but very tasty stromboli I made for lunch just in case

cheers rubadub, I just checked the bag of cornflour I have in the pantry and under ingredients its says 100% maize starch and yeah protein really low at 0.6% and fibre 0.2%. So I guess that means I wont be making any corn tortillas tonight. Luckily I didnt take the portions of cochinita pibil out of the freezer that was to go with the corn tortillas, that would have been a disaster.

That cornflour in Holland and Barret you linked seems like it might do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That cornflour in Holland and Barret you linked seems like it might do the trick
    I would wait for other peoples comments on it, I am not sure if its suitable but its definitely not just starch.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I would wait for other peoples comments on it, I am not sure if its suitable but its definitely not just starch.

cool will do, wont be getting it till next week now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Tried Japanese milk bread, like a soft and fluffy brioche, perfect for peanut butter French toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Cornflour is nothing like masa harina. Cornflour is called corn starch ib the USA.

I looked up this before, but I can't remember it all. Masa harina is corn meal made from corn that has been nixtimalised; i.e. whole corn grains that have been treated with lime. Not sure what happens next to get to masa harina :)

Bottom line: cornflour is not a substitute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Arbie wrote: »
    Tried Japanese milk bread, like a soft and fluffy brioche, perfect for peanut butter French toast.

This looks incredible!! Is it difficult?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

For Masa Harina try picadomexican.ie it's hard to get to Dublin...

Also, I want to know which Japanese milk bread recipe was used, looks good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Has anyone a recommendation for a good Guinness bread? I have approx. half a can left after making the Christmas pudding. A lot of recipes seem to be more cake like with a lot of sugar/golden syrup/treacle. And they all seem to vary with the proportions of Guinness vs Buttermilk. I usually make the Bord Bia Brown bread, so might just sub half the buttermilk for Guinness?

The Odlums guinness bread has way too much liquid anyway if you try that one so cut down on it. I now just make my usual brown bread but substitute half buttermilk for guinness, you do though I find have to add extra sugar/honey/treacle or something sweet as guinness is quite bitter.

Thank you Phormium. I had looked at the Odlums recipe, and as well as a lot of liquid, it is all Guinness, with no buttermilk at all, which might be a bit dark. I never thought of balancing out the bitterness of the Guinness with some extra sweetness... I might try the Bord Bia one so, with half buttermilk half Guinness and an extra bit of honey/treacle.

That's odd, the Odlums recipe I use does have milk, I'll get a pic of it, have it in a folder as I do still use it occasionally with added walnuts.

That's odd, the Odlums recipe I use does have milk, I'll get a pic of it, have it in a folder as I do still use it occasionally with added walnuts.

That is odd! Is a completely different recipe on their website now, no buttermilk, no plain flour, but it does have walnuts :D

450g/1lb Odlums Coarse Wholemeal Flour
    2 level teaspoons Odlums Bread Soda
    25g/1oz Odlums Pinhead Porridge Oats
    4 tablespoons Shamrock Demerara Sugar
    80g Shamrock Chopped Walnuts (optional)
    50g/2oz Butter or Margarine
    1 tablespoon Treacle
    400ml Guinness

I'll give your one a go, with less liquid as you suggested. Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I made brownie base millionaire squares yesterday. Oh. My. God. :eek:

I got too impatient and cut them up before they properly set so I'll have to make again to get good photos. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I made brownie base millionaire squares yesterday. Oh. My. God. :eek:

I got too impatient and cut them up before they properly set so I'll have to make again to get good photos. ;)

Can you post the recipe please :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Cork Lass wrote: »

What she said!

Cork Lass wrote: »

I'm going to remake them and I'll put it up then as I'm muddling around with my own thing :)Janes Patisserie has one I've no doubt that's lovely, I know a good few here like using her recipes and I've done a few myself. Main difference in mine is probably how the caramel is made.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

A simple Apple Pie!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I'm going to remake them and I'll put it up then as I'm muddling around with my own thing :)Janes Patisserie has one I've no doubt that's lovely, I know a good few here like using her recipes and I've done a few myself. Main difference in mine is probably how the caramel is made.

Thank you for sharing the link, I enjoyed reading the recipes covered. I just wonder why she doesn't use a sugar thermometer and take all the risk out of caramel failure. I'm going to google the correct temperature for this kind of caramel but if anyone already knows what to aim for, I'd be really grateful. Looking forward to seeing your pictures too. Many thanks.

janmaree wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing the link, I enjoyed reading the recipes covered. I just wonder why she doesn't use a sugar thermometer and take all the risk out of caramel failure. I'm going to google the correct temperature for this kind of caramel but if anyone already knows what to aim for, I'd be really grateful. Looking forward to seeing your pictures too. Many thanks.

I've never seen anyone use a thermometer for that type of caramel (don't use one myself). My recipe is a bit different though I use dark brown sugar rather than the mix of golden syrup and caster sugar and only boil for like a minute, looking at her youtube video mine looks nothing like hers as it boils either but sets well maybe less margin for error when only boiling for the minute.

You made me look at others though most seem to use the caster sugar and honey/syrup mix. Gemma Stafford uses just butter and condensed milk and cooks it low and slow
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm6U44w4CAE&t=161s

Thanks for all the trouble you went to, I really enjoyed the video. I found a recipe yesterday which used a thermometer and it quoted a range of 236 - 238F so I have that option. I like your idea of dark brown sugar though as it's one of my favourite things, especially on porridge! Anyway, thanks again, it's much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

My sugar thermometer says Caramel and points to 174C / 345F.

• Advertisement

tangy wrote: »
    My sugar thermometer says Caramel and points to 174C / 345F.

Thanks for the tip, mind you I'm so nervous about caramel now that I think I'll make meringues! Pity I'm the only one here though, I'll end up having to widen the doorways :eek:

Advertisement