Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

janmaree wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip, mind you I'm so nervous about caramel now that I think I'll make meringues! Pity I'm the only one here though, I'll end up having to widen the doorways :eek:

That'll just be your clothes shrinking, they do that during lockdowns ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I'd been looking for a recipe to Bake in a Bundt tin and came across this recipe

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pineapple-passion-bundt
    - Another boarsdie could have posted the link previously.

It's a lovely tasty moist cake and I'd bake it again but without the passionfruit.
    Forgot to take a pic before everyone dived in that's the leftover.

IMG_0811.JPG

I'm looking for a recipe for biscuit cakes ( the round ones with jam inside and icing on top), when I search I'm just getting results for chocolate biscuit cake, would anyone have a simple recipe? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

As in actual biscuits like jammie dodgers style? Empire biscuits kind of fit the description with jam and icing but they are biscuits and not a cake. Is this what you have in mind or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Going to do the Christmas cake today. Plenty of time for it to mature. Nice drop if whiskey too. Perfect for a rainy day !

• Advertisement

phormium wrote: »
    As in actual biscuits like jammie dodgers style? Empire biscuits kind of fit the description with jam and icing but they are biscuits and not a cake. Is this what you have in mind or something else?

Yes, I always call them biscuit cakes, maybe that's the issue.☺️

Google jammie dodger recipes and you'll get lots of that sort of thing :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I made pretzels for the first time today! I had a little trouble rolling and shaping them, so the gaps aren't very well defined :P But they're super tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Did my Christmas cake during the week. Poured some whiskey on the completed cake and it's wrapped up awaiting icing Christmas week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

My inner German decided it was time I started the christmas baking.
    I've made ginger and cardamom biscuits, and coconut macaroons. Next weekend will be vanilla crescents and jam biscuits.

vNpyIcF.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

@Shenshen you wouldn’t happen to have a nice Terrassen recipe would you?

My husband lost the one he made last year and I don’t like my sister-in-laws recipe.

Thanks in advance, your biccies look delicious!

Toulouse wrote: »
    @Shenshen you wouldn’t happen to have a nice Terrassen recipe would you?

My husband lost the one he made last year and I don’t like my sister-in-laws recipe.

Thanks in advance, your biccies look delicious!

I don't have a standard one, I usually search chefkoch.de until I find one I'm happy to customise a bit. Most of them don't have any spices in the dough, and I always want a bit of cinammon and cloves in there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Finally, success! I've finally been able to bake a loaf of bread that has the consistency I was looking for and that only needed to be baked on a medium over (175° C). I used tangzhong. I used the bread machine to knead it for a good hour and another 15-20 mins by hand. It probably wouldn't have taken as long with a mixer with hooks (someone has mine, at the moment). It tasted a bit like brioche, the oven was still too warm and it browned the top of the bread too much, which looks dark because I brushed it with milk - next time I'll dust it with flour instead, or even better, bake it in the bread machine. Anyway, I'm delighted!

(On second thought, the images are very big, better not embed them).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

UYi8FOll.jpg

cBzkL7Al.jpg

(That plastic decoration would be over 60 years old, sentimental value, big time)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Have never baked much, usually just "meat and veg/spuds" or stir-fry or curries.
    But give a Christmas cake a try on Friday evening, and it seems to have turned out pretty good!
    The first recipient that turned up on Google, from the BBC Good Food website.
    Before
    V3uU8Rz.jpg
    After
    gU5iJsz.jpg

That looks perfect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Have never baked much, usually just "meat and veg/spuds" or stir-fry or curries.
    But give a Christmas cake a try on Friday evening, and it seems to have turned out pretty good!
    The first recipient that turned up on Google, from the BBC Good Food website.
    Before
    V3uU8Rz.jpg
    After
    gU5iJsz.jpg

Make sure you feed it with a small bit of alcohol to stop it drying out. Ideally cook it 6 weeks before but this should still taste great !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭gifted

It's a Christmas apple tart....ok it's an apple tart with left over pastry shaped like a Christmas tree but the kids think it's brill so I'm happy lol lol

It's an oldie but a favourite in our home.....made a lemon meringue pie, now into the oven .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Iced my cakes today, really happy with them and looking forward to cutting the first slice for Santa on Christmas Eve

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Ginger cookies, with dark chocolate and more ginger.
    Not pictured, candied almonds and rasberry jam "thumbprint" cookies.

5 types of Weihnachtsplätzchen this year: Vanilla Crescents, Coconut Macroons, Alpine Bread, Hazelnut Biscuits and Linzer Tartlets

Vw7kMmR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Shenshen wrote: »
    5 types of Weihnachtsplätzchen this year: Vanilla Crescents, Coconut Macroons, Alpine Bread, Hazelnut Biscuits and Linzer Tartlets

They look fab Shenshen! Last week I got a parcel with Vanillekipferl, Kokosmakronen and Ausstecherle from a friend back home, I can't stop eating them. Beats mince pies if you ask me!

Space Dog wrote: »
    They look fab Shenshen! Last week I got a parcel with Vanillekipferl, Kokosmakronen and Ausstecherle from a friend back home, I can't stop eating them. Beats mince pies if you ask me!

Mince pies always taste that little bit too intense for me, and are always 2 bites more than I'd want somehow. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Iced my cakes today, really happy with them and looking forward to cutting the first slice for Santa on Christmas Eve

They look superb!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I am in awe of all the Christmas baking, and if if I knew where you all lived you'd have me arrested for attempted break-in :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm trying to decide what to do for Christmas day dessert. Got one of THESE last week so thinking of doing a couple of different things in that...maybe bake 6 lemon meringue and then make 6 no bake cheesecakes...or 6 cheesecakes, 6 no bake something else (janespatisserie has a really nice malteaser tart I made last christmas) and was thinking maybe doing some mini apple crumbles or something too. Not sure how well I'll cope with getting the quantities right though for the 6 holes :)

Thinking of throwing together some cinnamon baked doughnuts for for the grownups and some choc peanut butter ones for the kids for 'breakfast' we always run out of the pre-dinner nibbles but there won't be as many of us at once this year.

I'm trying to decide what to do for Christmas day dessert. Got one of THESE last week so thinking of doing a couple of different things in that...maybe bake 6 lemon meringue and then make 6 no bake cheesecakes...or 6 cheesecakes, 6 no bake something else (janespatisserie has a really nice malteaser tart I made last christmas) and was thinking maybe doing some mini apple crumbles or something too. Not sure how well I'll cope with getting the quantities right though for the 6 holes :)

Thinking of throwing together some cinnamon baked doughnuts for for the grownups and some choc peanut butter ones for the kids for 'breakfast' we always run out of the pre-dinner nibbles but there won't be as many of us at once this year.

I'm not at all drooling reading this...no way...not drooling at all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Sounds amazing! Any chance when you figure out measurements you could throw a recipe up here? Particularly interested in the lemon meringue and malteaser tart. I've only made mini victoria sandwiches and cheesecakes in mine but it is such a handy tin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

These recipes on the Lakeland website might give you an idea of quantities: https://blog.lakeland.co.uk/mini-sandwich-tin-recipes/

Advertisement