Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

These recipes on the Lakeland website might give you an idea of quantities: https://blog.lakeland.co.uk/mini-sandwich-tin-recipes/

Legend. Thank you. The chocolate mud cakes there is the kind of thing I was looking for to throw in the mix too. :)

Looks like to fill whole tin would be roughly half my normal 9 inch cheesecake mixture...quartering it might be a bit harder though. Going to be way too much desert, but sure it's christmas :) Bought soooo much double cream today as all the recipes I'm thinking of are double cream rich :)

OK, still need to be decorated properly but

Terry's choc orange mousse

IMG-8704.jpg

Lemon Posset Tarts

IMG-8705.jpg

Malt choc tart and biscoff cheesecake

IMG-8706.jpg

Hopefully these come out of the tray ok once set. Shouldn't take long to set the size of them anyway.

There are only 4 adults and one child and 23 desserts :D

For the cheesecake and lemon tarts I quartered the recipes (I only have 5 lemon but I may have too much lemon to tart ratio now). I made full batch of the mousse as it was meant to make 8 but ended up dumping a load as I put in relatively small servings due to it A) being rich and B) obviously people will want to take one of the other options. For the malt choc tart I divided ingrediants by 3.

The batters all tasted delicious :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Discovered this Reddit section lately. I don't use the site, but it's impressive. https://www.reddit.com/r/cakedecorating/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Birthday cake for my son. Nothing too heavy so soon after Christmas.
    Chocolate cake with ginger bread spice.

Well I got no pictures from Christmas day. By the time I sat down at the table for dessert they'd all already milled into my lovely presentations. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Weren't let cool down......:pac::pac::pac:

nu2hqFXl.jpg

xrHqNCdl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

They look yum, which recipe did you use? Any I buy these days seem to be too sweet for me, I'd be better off making my own :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/411558/recipe/portugese-custard-tarts

Not sweet. Very eggy taste.....probably the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Kinder Bueno drip cake for my daughters 21st today

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Wow Cork lass. I'd eat the whole cake. Enjoy the celebrations

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That looks amazing Cork Lass, hope you all enjoy the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

A dog friendly birthday cake!

Cake has carrot and peanut butter, the icing is mashed potato and natural yoghurt.

They wolfed it down (haha) so I’m counting it as a success but I think it was probably slightly over baked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Toulouse wrote: »
    A dog friendly birthday cake!

Cake has carrot and peanut butter, the icing is mashed potato and natural yoghurt.

They wolfed it down (haha) so I’m counting it as a success but I think it was probably slightly over baked.

That’s a great idea - can you post up the recipe.

Cork Lass wrote: »

No problem :)

https://www.recipetineats.com/dog-cake-recipe/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Cork Lass wrote: »

I don't know if this is an obvious thing or not, but make sure there's no "hidden" xylitol in the peanut butter - it's lethal for dogs and cats.

New Home wrote: »
    I don't know if this is an obvious thing or not, but make sure there's no "hidden" xylitol in the peanut butter - it's lethal for dogs and cats.

Good point! Not obvious to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Anyone know of anywhere that stocks French butter? I have a friend on a croissant mission...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Anyone know of anywhere that stocks French butter? I have a friend on a croissant mission...

Pretty sure they'd have it in Nolans in Clontarf. They have loads of different kinds of butters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I've gotten some in M&S before all this brexit ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tesco used to iirc

• Advertisement

Thanks both. Tesco don't have any and Clontarf is a bit of a trek for her. The search continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Well André from France used kerrygold!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Thanks both. Tesco don't have any and Clontarf is a bit of a trek for her. The search continues!

There's a French grocer/crêperie in Drumcondra called Le Petit Breton, they'd be worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Where is she based?

Where is she based?

Tallaght.

Honestly, I can't see anyone telling the difference between French or Irish butter in a croissant, in a blind taste test.

Also, what kind of French butter?
    A salted Brittany butter is completely different to, say, unsalted President butter (the former being similar to Irish butter).

French butter apparently has a higher fat content. I did visit a French bakery in Ireland as part of a food tour once where they make croissants and they use french butter as they can roll it out with their roller the same way you can with pastry because of it's fat content. They said the Irish butter is more inclined to break up if rolled, much easier get a solid rolled piece with the French butter apparently!

phormium wrote: »
    French butter apparently has a higher fat content. I did visit a French bakery in Ireland as part of a food tour once where they make croissants and they use french butter as they can roll it out with their roller the same way you can with pastry because of it's fat content. They said the Irish butter is more inclined to break up if rolled, much easier get a solid rolled piece with the French butter apparently!

Again, the term, "French butter" is pretty vague.
    Do they mean Brittany/Normandy butter or any ole French butter? Salted or unsalted.

Ireland is unusual where, generally, butter is just butter.

I don't know, is all French butter generally higher in fat than Irish maybe? Don't remember if the bakery specified it had to be from a particular region, they just referred to it as French.

I always buy both salted and unsalted when I'm buying ordinary Irish butter, different purposes for both in my house :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There's also a difference in taste, just like the flavour of the milk is different. There's almost a fresh scent of grass to the milk products here, in the Continent (esp. Southern Europe) it has a sweeter taste.

Advertisement