Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jam Thumbprint Biscuits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Never heard of that variant! Interesting as I love plum jam. My mother used to make Linzer Torte with red currant jam and I am following this tradition.

@Shenshen: how do you get the seeds out of the jam? I have a mouli, but never have the patience to stand for hours. My husband hates seeds in his jam. I'm hoping there is an easier way!
    Shenshen wrote: »
    Plum jam sounds very authentically Austrian!

My Austrian gran used to use redcurrant - because we had redcurrant bushes, and therefore more of the bloody beggars than you could shake a stick at! They went into jams, syrup, cakes... it's quite the childhood trauma for me.
    So now I'm using a red jam I like, because I can! :D

There are spices in the dough (cinnamon and cloves), but I've never heard of one made with cocoa powder.

I think it's usually called Badische Linzertorte. I thought raspberry is typical for Austria and plum for Southern Germany.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    I'd say it might be easier if you do it while the fruit is just cooked but the jam isn't set, yet. Plus this would help. EBay is showing them at anything from $30 up (I've seen one at $96!!), but if you look around you can find one for €10-€15. They're great for baby food, too, if you want to remove all the "skins" from pulses, etc, which blending alone wouldn't do.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/p5kAAOSw8-hfpcdv/s-l400.jpg

Amazon Germany - €14.60 excl. delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Had to change a bit of my recipe as I only had 3 eggs, so added 2 medium carrots grated.
    No vanilla essence either so used mixed spice.
    Behold! The carrot/apple bake :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That looks yum!

BTW, I've a soft toy that's identical to your biscuit jar, :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

New Home wrote: »
    That looks yum!

BTW, I've a soft toy that's identical to your biscuit jar, :)

The snowman-y thing? That's a mug if so, holds a gigantic amount of tay so I use it year round for that reason.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Kinder cookie bars. I made these a few weeks ago and they were amazing so I said I’d post some to the west of Ireland to the nieces and nephews.

544626.jpeg

And another attempt at sourdough! Much more successful this time, better oven spring and a better bake. My casserole dish wasn’t big enough so it it wasn’t able to stretch open fully before it hit the lid unfortunately. I’ll try again this weekend!

Anyone any tips for keeping it fresh? I baked on Saturday morning and despite being well wrapped up in parchment paper and a tea towel it was much tougher by Sunday lunchtime.

544627.jpeg

Sealed plastic bag and keep it in the fridge. Or slice it and freeze it and take out the slices as you need them. :)

Excellent! I’ll give that a go! It was drilled in to me as a child not to put bread in the fridge for some reason but I’m happy to stand corrected :)

• Advertisement

You have to make sure it's in a sealed plastic bag, if it's even partially open the fridge will speed up its drying out.

Mind you, you can make a delicious, warming, comforting soup from stale (not mouldy, just dried/hard!!) bread. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Kinder cookie bars.

mother-of-god.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

And another attempt at sourdough! Much more successful this time, better oven spring and a better bake. My casserole dish wasn’t big enough so it it wasn’t able to stretch open fully before it hit the lid unfortunately. I’ll try again this weekend!

Anyone any tips for keeping it fresh? I baked on Saturday morning and despite being well wrapped up in parchment paper and a tea towel it was much tougher by Sunday lunchtime.

I use a 1/3 gastronorm base https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vogue-stainless-steel-third-size-gastronorm-pan-20mm/gm310 to cook my batard shaped sourdough on (use cornmeal or grease proof paper to prevent sticking) and I spray water into the "lid" (https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vogue-stainless-steel-third-size-gastronorm-pan-150mm/k934) to create a nice steam environment for it to rise fully in.

After 250c for 30 minutes with the lid on I remove the lid, remove the grease proof paper if I'm using (I mostly use cornmeal which doesn't require any intervention) and then bake at 220c for circa 20 minutes until the core temp is 98c and/or the crust is the colour/hardness I want.

I have 2 sets of 1/3 gastronorms which allow me to bake two loaves at a time, one nice and fresh for the weekend, the other is cut in half, both halfs cling filmed and frozen to be taken out Sunday evening and Tuesday evening for "fresh" bread throughout the week.

I do find after 24 hours that popping a slice into the toaster really brings it back to life and makes it much "fresher" so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭sporina

Kinder cookie bars. I made these a few weeks ago and they were amazing so I said I’d post some to the west of Ireland to the nieces and nephews.

OMG they look diivne... could you post some to me in Cork please? thanks :D

Thanks for the tips 54and56! I need to implement a one in/one out rule for kitchen gadgets and tools before I buy anything new :o. I’m running out of space with slow cooker, air fryer, kitchen aid, spiralizer, juicier, food processor etc etc... I borrowed my mams casserole dish to bake the sourdough before buying something of my own so maybe I’ll try the thing you recommended instead! Is it multifunctional or do you just use it for bread?

@sporina, join the queue! :D

This is the recipe for anyone wondering. I used 400g of regular kinder bars, I didn’t use any bueno bars at all.

https://www.janespatisserie.com/2018/09/17/kinder-bueno-cookie-bars/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭sporina

@sporina, join the queue! :D

This is the recipe for anyone wondering. I used 400g of regular kinder bars, I didn’t use any bueno bars at all.

https://www.janespatisserie.com/2018/09/17/kinder-bueno-cookie-bars/[/QUOTE]

grr.. lol..

gee thanks for the recipe - kinda wish I hadn't read it though - all the sugar - nearly had a hyperglycemic attack reading it - ekk - but thanks.. really

Yeah I would leave out the bueno's too.. good call..

I would love em though cos they remind me of blondies (as oppose to brownies - I am a chocaholic but I actually don't really like em - find them too heavy, same with choc cake/ice cream etc)

hope your nieces and nephews enjoy x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I baked Nigella's Clementine Cake today - it is flourless, my first ever attempt at a flourless cake. It is very tasty, almost like it was soaked in a syrup after taking out of the oven.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/clementine-cake?offset=72

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Ev6EEs-XEAE6tiX?format=jpg&name=small
    The curd was baked (leftovers from making the heston blumenthal lemon tart, put into ramekins), and the digestives were baked (used stella parks' recipe, not too lazy to make them, too lazy to go get them though), but strictly speaking it's not a baked cheesecake.

Digestives+ butter base
    Layer of curd
    1:1 curd/creamcheese (by volume), beaten and folded in the same volume in whipped, slightly sweetened, cream.

Oh, and the whole thing is 5" in diameter, the pandemic has me into the whole tiny cake thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

That looks absolutely delicious, I never thought of putting a layer of lemon curd under the cheesecake bit! I have digestives, lemon curd in freezer, cream and cream cheese in fridge, I just may need to have something like this for dessert this evening :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

IT's my first time trying it, I usually find lemon cheesecake to not be lemony enough, so I figure i'd solve that problem before tackling the cheesecake...

• Advertisement

Turned out it was passion fruit curd I had in the freezer and not lemon so no nice cheesecake for me! I'll have to make some but no shopping planned for another while :(

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Still sounds really tasty to me! What was it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What's wrong with passionfruit?

Nothing wrong with passion fruit, I love it, hence the curd in the freezer and loads of passion fruit puree but I fancied a lemon cheesecake with lemon curd :) Had a passion fruit one recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gmt012

Lemon cheesecake & millionaire's shortbread ready to set for Mothers day

Finally got my lemon cheesecake with lemon curd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

phormium wrote: »
    Finally got my lemon cheesecake with lemon curd :)

Recipe please!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I seem to be right on trend - lemon and almond muffins filled with lemon curd!

547063.jpg

547064.jpg

• Advertisement

Rough recipe I'm afraid, kind of just thrown together. Make base as per any old cheesecake recipe. Lemon curd bit, all into saucepan other than butter, bring to boil while stirring all the tin, add butter, strain into bowl or use straight away onto base.

Cheesecake bit, add gelatine powder to lemon juice in ramekin and let soak. Beat cheese until not lumpy. Whip cream, put egg whites and sugar into metal bowl over bowl of boiling water, stir well until sugar dissolved, then whisk to stiff. While they are whisking sit the ramekin into saucepan of hot water and let dissolve. When meringue is ready add gelatine to cheese beating well, add in lemon zest, fold in cream then meringue and all into the tin on top of the lemon curd and base. Into fridge for several hours or overnight.

I made a 6.5" one but there was enough curd and cheese mix to make I would say up to 8", mine was actually a little too high, looked nice but hard to get a bite that included all three flavours with the height, lower cheese bit would work better :)

Advertisement