Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Been threatening for ages to get a rye starter on the go and attempt a sourdough as the family love it but its outrageously priced in the shops. Bit of time and patience required to build up the starter but the result was worth it. I followed the guide at riotrye.ie if anyone is curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭sporina

@woodchuck they look fab - I want.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Lol thanks! I don't bake as much as I used to - it's hard to justify baking a whole tray of brownies when you're working from home and don't have work colleagues to share them with 🙈 I've frozen a good few though to keep them fresh, so I'll be giving some to the parents and inlaws when I see them!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Brioche again. A much smoother result by forming the dough immediately and letting them rise, rather than letting the dough rise, forming and then letting rise again. Also takes less time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

A sugar-free orange an coconut cake. Humble, but nice and tasty nonetheless 😄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 518 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

A focaccia with braised red cabbage and apple, black olives , courgette, onion, oregano and chia seeds. Oh and a piece of orange pepper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I had to stare at it for a moment before I saw it - that's really artistic, I love it! Did it taste as beautiful as it looks?

Yeah it came out pretty good. Used some rye flour in the mix and it was really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Made a Victoria Sandwich for Mothers Day :-)

@leahyl - that cake screams Mother's Day.. hmmm

• Advertisement

Made another batch of fudge this evening (as a gift for a friend - any excuse!). I decide to try coating some of them in chocolate this time. I made a real attempt at tempering the chocolate, but I don't think it worked 🙈 It snuck back above 30C at the final reheat phase. But sure fcuk it 🤷🏻‍♀️

Oh and I normally use golden caster sugar, but could NOT find it in the shops! I tried 2 Tescos (they normally have it), Lidl and SuperValu. After doing a lot of research online, I decided that golden granulated sugar sounded like the best substitute. I'm happy to report that it worked! It's the second substitute I've had to make to this recipe, but somehow it still keeps working for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

That fudge looks amazing - would you post the recipe?

No problem, this is the original recipe:

But I've had to make the following substitutions, so it's barely the original recipe anymore 🙈

- Honey instead of glucose liquid

- Golden granulated sugar instead of golden caster sugar (I was worried the bigger granules would effect the crystalisation, but I just made sure to give it plenty of time to dissolve fully before whacking up the heat)

- Vanilla extract instead of vanilla paste/pods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Baybay

Hmm. Not sure why these are sideways or how to fix them but it’s a Barra Brith. A Welsh fruit cake/bread that’s delicious with salty butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Thanks for that - will definitely make that over Easter.

@Baybay that looks and sounds absolutely delicious hmmmmmmm - like my Mum's baking - can almost smell it

Cheese, artichoke and za’atar focaccia

Spiced carrot cake traybake.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Coffee.

Why do my sponges come out "not flat", well, not exactly flat. "Google says"....give the batter a good few taps on the counter before it goes in to the oven to dispel air bubbles. Which I don't do. Should I?

Yeah.....no Walnuts so it's Brazil nuts this time 😘

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

What sort of tins are you using? Is your oven hotter than you think? Have you tried putting strips of foil/magic baking strips around the side of your baking tin?

Doming is usually cause the edges bake faster and shrink a bit, pushing the middle of the batter up which then bakes in that raised position. Of course, you can always flatten them with a knife and test the scraps to make sure it's not poison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭phormium

I am baking a long time and I have never tapped the tins on the counter before going into oven. As for flat sponges what recipe and more importantly what size mix to tin size? An awful lot of 'flat' cakes are the result of not enough mix in the tin and expecting miraculous rises, cakes do not rise as much as you think they will! If the texture is ok then the cake is made correctly, if it's not tall enough make a bigger mix.

Edit: Ah I misread your complaint! It's not that they are flat as such, it's that you want them flatter rather than rounded. Baking strips are great for that or lower the oven temp, the slower they rise at lower temp the greater chance for the middle to rise before the sides set from contact with the hot metal. The baking strips work in similar way in protecting sides of tin from full force of heat which slows down the sides setting as once set they can't rise further so forces centre up. Recipe also plays a part, the higher the flour esp self raising content as you can't control the raising agent the more likely to dome.

Post edited by phormium on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Trick of the trade (sort of) - when you take the cake out of the tin, turn it upside down on a flat surface and leave it to rest for a while.

Prestige Inspire 8 and a half inch (22cm)

Odlums Recipe. 160c with fan for 30 minutes. 180c without fan as in recipe so I put the fan on thinking that it'd cook more evenly.

Never heard of baking strips 😀 but just saw them now on Amazon. Won't be buying I don't reckon, eh, I might....I'll look into it. 🧐

Might bake lower for longer as advised. First world problem......might just leave it.

Thanks for the advice though 😉

(PS. That didn't take long......2 baking strips ordered 😁)

I'm too late so as you could have bought them in Mr Price 😁

Mr Price?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There are quite a few videos showing how to make your own very cheaply on YouTube.

Maybe you don't have a Mr Price near you, there are a fair few stores, 60 I believe practically nationwide, great range of random stuff but a particularly good selection of baking/cake decorating things at extremely reasonable prices, some of the big brands too Cake Boss & PME plus others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Had some SR flour to use up. I am useless at cakes and all that. Made some 3 ingredient lemonade scones. Well I was so chuffed, they were gorgeous, and all were scoffed by the hungry horaces within the hour.

Recipe online, the Oz one. I had a drop of Madagascan vanilla extract so that was the only extra ingredient. I made the dough into a rectangle and cut "squares" instead of rounds. No waste whatsoever. Can recommend these for any other baking gobdaws out there like myself.

https://www.recipetineats.com/lemonade-scones/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Advertisement