Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I used Avonmore fresh cream in the blue bottle. Not the purple double cream one. Oh and threw in a pinch of salt for balance. Ok that's 4 ingredients, 5 if you count the three drops of vanilla extract lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

A birthday cake I made today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭sporina

@SnowyMuckish wow I'd love to see it sliced? or a slice/wedge?

Unfortunately it was a disaster inside 😂. I filled it with strawberries, jam and a mix of cream with Betty Crocker buttercream. In my wisdom I thought I’d add a tablespoon or 2 of icing sugar to the buttercream to create a harder dam layer but the whole mixture, strawberries and all started to run and slop out of the cake and there almost wasn’t a cake for the birthday 😅.

oh no way - thats mad.. looks so fantastic..

fair play to you for being so honest

i'm sure your loved one appreciated your effort though.

how did it taste?

• Advertisement

Ah thanks! I managed to salvage it with a few hours cooling in the fridge and scooping out the spilled filling. Regardless of the disaster it tasted good anyways and no one was any the wiser of what could have been 👌😅

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Does anyone know the name of a brand of semolina flour and what supermarket I would find it in? Specifically flour as I need it for the high gluten content, there are other things that call themselves semolina but now Ive discovered they are referring to the courseness of the grind rather than actual semolina flour, I think polenta and cornmeal are two of them.

It just caught me out in a baking disaster, I followed the dough recipe to a tee but still ended up with a gloopy dough that cant be handled and is only fit for the compost heap. I added more normal flour to it but it was beyond saving without vastly compromising the recipe. I dont have the packaging anymore but I think I used cornmeal which was labelled as semolina and thats why the dough wont come together. The rest of the label was in Italian so was hard to distinguish what it was but it did have semolina printed on it. So need to be certain Im buying semolina flour before I go at it again which I why Im asking for a brand name and exactly where to get it, have never seen it in Aldi or Lidl anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Will you post a pic of the label of the one you have? Reverse image search in google and/or google translate would help.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I buy semoline in the asian shop for the most part, coarse for sliding pizza around and fine for making pasta. I've picked up the dececco for making pasta in the past too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Yeah, the Asian shops have semolina in three or four different grades of courseness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

strawberry and cream puffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Amazing! Is it rolled puff pastry you used or a recipe from scratch?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

Thanks, its a rough puff pastry, (cupcake Jemma ) 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Enjoying experimenting with the sourdough recipes. The darker loaf here is 30% rye with milk and honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I finally bought some proper brioche tins and now they look the part as well as tasting it.

Jurassic World cake taking shape, I must admit I’m excited about this one. Part 2 finished job to come!

Bottom deck almost done, false cake, top layer will be the real cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Custard slices. These days, I'm always on the lookout for recipes where I can easily replace sugar with xylitol, and this one is ideal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 518 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Raspberry and White Chocolate jumbo muffins

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

MMM they look amazing TheKBizzle! Care to share the recipe? They're huge!

• Advertisement

∙2 large eggs + 2 yolks 

∙210g caster sugar

∙225g  sour cream

∙150ml buttermilk 

∙3ml vanilla extract 

∙50ml veg oil 

∙50g butter (melted and cooled) 

∙375g plain four 

∙8g salt 

∙9g baking powder

∙4g  baking soda 

∙280g fresh or frozen raspberries  

Add sugar and eggs into a bowl and whisk to combine. To that, add sour cream, buttermilk, vanilla, oil, and butter. Whisk to combine. 

In a separate bowl measure dry ingredients.  Whisk to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry. Add raspberries  and white chocolate fold until just combined. Add muffin liners and fill each muffin hole  with 225g or a rounded if using a jumbo 6-muffin pan or about 110g if using 12 tin pan.  Top each muffin with a sprinkle of brown sugar. Bake in preheated 175°c oven for 30-32min.

Lemon Meringue pie cookies

Raisin & oatmeal and Black Forest gateau cookies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Did the Black Forest cookies taste like Black Forest?

Yes as much as you can in a cookie. I used half glacé cherries and half amarena sour cherries

Apple & biscoff crumble muffins

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

They look amazing! I'd pay good money for one of those if I saw them in a shop. I've never seen a muffin that nice looking in a shop though!

Double Chocolate muffins. I’ll probably have to stop baking once one of my housemates gets gout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Wow, amazing.. If your housemates move out I’d say you’ll have a queue a mile long if people v willing to move in 🤣

Advertisement