Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

Wellyd wrote: »
    I use www.bakeworld.ie. they're based in Wexford but if you order before lunchtime they have next day delivery.
    Thanks, I went with Bakeworld in the end because they had the best range and delivery. Just got my package! Busy weekend of baking ahead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Made some chocolate brownies for the first time, surprised how quick and easy they were. Although the only other desert I've made in the past 3 years is a lemon tart.

Tastes great too which is a bonus although cream needed. I didn't look at every part of the recipe and noticed at the end it serves 20 so it's going to be around for awhile

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Made lemon and bitters fudge last week. Didn't get a chance to take a picture (they didn't last long). Will put a lot more bitters in next time, and maybe some finely ground citric acid...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Hi Tree... out of curiosity, whats "bitters"?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Probably Angostura Bitters. People used to make pink gin with them.

• Advertisement

After a long weekend of baking, managed to make this super sweet meringue kiss cake. Made it to enter the Dr. Oetker facebook competition, not a typical weekend bake :P

20228996_10155283779580210_2913277591621927801_n.jpg?oh=75690ad40ee0581cbb4cb8923e46e062&oe=59F1DD5C

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

After a long weekend of baking, managed to make this super sweet meringue kiss cake. Made it to enter the Dr. Oetker facebook competition, not a typical weekend bake :P

20228996_10155283779580210_2913277591621927801_n.jpg?oh=75690ad40ee0581cbb4cb8923e46e062&oe=59F1DD5C

Wow. That looks seriously impressive. Best of luck in the competition.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Hi Tree... out of curiosity, whats "bitters"?
    Angostura bitters as @arian said. Great in a nice sour, though the lad in the offie also recommended putting it in stew.

Tree wrote: »
    Angostura bitters as @arian said. Great in a nice sour, though the lad in the offie also recommended putting it in stew.

Thanks a mill to you both! Never heard of this before at all!

Hey, looks fab! You have a nice vibrant red colour in the meringue. Do you use any particular type of food colouring?

• Advertisement

Hey, looks fab! You have a nice vibrant red colour in the meringue. Do you use any particular type of food colouring?

Yeah I swear by the Sugarflair paste colours! You only need the tiniest bit for a really strong colour and it doesn't fade in the bake :) you can also mix shades to get different colours ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Very best of luck with the competition Sabre0001 and piratequeen!

Yeah I swear by the Sugarflair paste colours! You only need the tiniest bit for a really strong colour and it doesn't fade in the bake :) you can also mix shades to get different colours ;)

Thanks for that! I usually use one in a little container from homestore and more but I haven't found it that vibrant!

Thanks for that! I usually use one in a little container from homestore and more but I haven't found it that vibrant!

Are they the Wilton ones? That's the other main brand of paste colours besides Sugarflair, I've never used them myself but I've heard anecdotally that they're duller and not as good. You can get the Sugarflair ones online anyway they're about €3-4 a pot!

Also, my cake won this week so I'm entered into the final next week to win a KitchenAid! If anyone feels going to the Dr Oetker facebook page next week to vote for it that would be great ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Congratulations Piratequeen - I was here earlier and now I've just seen this cake pop up on my fb feed as the winner.

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Congratulations Piratequeen - I was here earlier and now I've just seen this cake pop up on my fb feed as the winner.

Thanks! I think the voting starts on Tuesday, make sure to give it a like then so I can upgrade my tiny €7 argos mixer to a KitchenAid :P

Making a 'rainbow unicorn cake' for my friend's daughter's 2nd birthday at the weekend which will keep me in the kitchen most of Saturday! :eek:

Thanks! I think the voting starts on Tuesday, make sure to give it a like then so I can upgrade my tiny €7 argos mixer to a KitchenAid :P

Making a 'rainbow unicorn cake' for my friend's daughter's 2nd birthday at the weekend which will keep me in the kitchen most of Saturday! :eek:
    I really hope you can upgrade! Those argos ones tend to burn out when making batches of buttercream!

I really hope you can upgrade! Those argos ones tend to burn out when making batches of buttercream!

Yeah mine has started to spark when I turn it up to high speeds...!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Made Cinnamon Swirls (Starbucks Style) in a joint effort with the housemate today.

First time to make a bread dough. Wasn't as complicated as I thought but the housemate did most of the kneading.

We used mixed peel but next time will get an orange to zest will have that fresher flavour.

Very tasty though but fugly, will take a picture on the second attempt :)

http://miaumiaucooking.blogspot.ie/2013/09/starbucks-style-cinnamon-rolls.html?m=1

IMG_0134.JPG

I made Pesto Ham and Cheese Pinwheels.

Specially Selected Red Pesto
    A roll of puff pastry
    Cooked ham cut finely
    Mozzarella
    Red Cheddar
    Rock Salt

Cooked in the Air Fryer in 10 mins.

(Will need to try some lardons or something, the ham isn't cutting it.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Chorizo?

arian wrote: »
    Chorizo?

Yeh with a monterey jack cheese might be nice alright

Rainbow unicorn cake was a success! I screwed up two of the layers & had to remake them (broke one and added too much colouring to another and accidentally turned it black :o) so I turned the duds into Nutella cake pops! Think I spent about 12 hours in the kitchen yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Rainbow unicorn cake was a success! I screwed up two of the layers & had to remake them (broke one and added too much colouring to another and accidentally turned it black :o) so I turned the duds into Nutella cake pops! Think I spent about 12 hours in the kitchen yesterday!

You've set the bar very impressively high for the birthday cakes that will follow!

You've set the bar very impressively high for the birthday cakes that will follow!

Haha I know I made her cake last year too but it'll hard to outdo next time! Hopefully she won't ask for anything too difficult :D

The final of the baking competition has started, I'd love if any fellow baking-lovers here clicked the link below and voted for my cake! :D

Vote for my meringue kiss cake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The final of the baking competition has started, I'd love if any fellow baking-lovers here clicked the link below and voted for my cake! :D

Vote for my meringue kiss cake!

Where is your product placement?!

RasTa wrote: »
    Where is your product placement?!
    Lol I think the only Dr.Oetker product I actually used to make it was vanilla extract...all the colours were SugarFlair! They did send me a lot of Dr.Oetker goodies as a finalist thought so I'll have lots to play with now ;)

I'm useless at baking but made a pineapple upside down cake on the weekend. It was actually really tasty :)

2aiq54p.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm useless at baking but made a pineapple upside down cake on the weekend. It was actually really tasty :)

I thought the cake was actually a pineapple from that angle!

Advertisement