Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Forwarding

Options
  • 17-04-2016 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi i am looking for someone to port forward my cctv system to my android phone, i have followed various instructions without success from youtube etc is . Have i to get a Static IP address
    Joe Leitrim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

If you want a static IP, you'll have to make that arrangement with your ISP.
    They will most likely make you pay a little extra for it.
    The other option is to register for a dynamic dns service such as www.noip.com.
    You'll need to run a small lightweigth program on your machine which periodically updates the dns server with your current ip.
    This means that you'll be able to access your machine using a url such as www.Decker123.noip.com even when your IP address changes.

Also, depending on what your monitoring, you might want to pay attention to the security settings on your cctv software.
    A lot of people fail to do this and their video streams end up being accessible on sites like https://www.insecam.org/en/bycountry/IE/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Decker123

Thanks for that , what im really after is someone to do the port forwarding for me, can this be done remotely if i give them details of Static Ip address and ip address of DVR etc

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

The port forwarding will be trivial, it's just a matter of following the links in your router's web interface.

The first problem you face is obtaining a static IP or dynamic dns service.

You'll need to do this yourself, there's really no way around it.

You probably don't need me to tell you this but giving random internet people access to your home network is not recommended.

If you feel that you are unable to do this yourself I'd suggest asking a personal friend or associate to help you.

If you set up a noip account, I'll walk you through the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Decker123

good advice thanks

Advertisement